NZXT Phantom case: lotsa airflow and perks.

They're using a resistor on the lead that goes to the motor, purposefully limiting the current to the motor so that if you turned up the RPM with the fan controller the LEDs don't dim.
The LEDs on that fan do dim when you turn the speed down using the fan controller.

It really seems like it's just a different fan.

If anyone is interested. They have those sleeved led kits for sale on the NZXT web site. I just ordered The 2m white ones. Shipping is a lil bit but that's the price you pay for sweetness I guess.

That white one looks awesome. Have fun building it and enjoy the case

sorry for the possible noob question, but has anyone tried mounting the h70 where the removable hard drive caddy is? idk if it would fit there, but it looks like it might. Or using zip ties/double sided tape/etc to mount the slimmer xiggy 200fans where the back top 200mm fan goes and/or the side fan? Again, feel free to shoot me down.

sorry for the possible noob question, but has anyone tried mounting the h70 where the removable hard drive caddy is? idk if it would fit there, but it looks like it might. Or using zip ties/double sided tape/etc to mount the slimmer xiggy 200fans where the back top 200mm fan goes and/or the side fan? Again, feel free to shoot me down.

Haven't tried mounting the H70 anywhere else. The xigmatek fans don't fit because they're literally too big to even fit in the hole (that's what she said) where the top 200mm fans go. The side one is just a matter of finding a way to attach it, but if you're running a large heatsink or an H70 in the normal position, then the fan won't physically fit again.

Anyone else with this case that's planning on mounting a rear rad where the back 120mm fan is? Which rad will fit there? I'm racking my brain with alot of measurements and looking around trying to figure it out and I'm having no luck.

Also whats the measurements on the brackets for mounting a rad up top. I'm just looking for the width apart. Mine measures for a dual 80mm rad, not a dual 120mm.

anyone know if the coolit eco c240 fits at the top of the case without having to give up other fan spots ?

Or has anyone tried the h70 in the fan slot on the top towards the front of the case ?

I have this case, why does it say it supports SSD when it clearly doesn't. There's nowhere to mount one!

anyone know if the coolit eco c240 fits at the top of the case without having to give up other fan spots ?

Or has anyone tried the h70 in the fan slot on the top towards the front of the case ?

I have a Cool it 240 at the top, with all 4 fans from Cool It on it. You can see pics on my build thread.

http://hardforum.com:80/showthread.php?t=1549007&page=2

I even posted on this forum that you have room at the top also.

SAM_0107.jpg

Here's mine.

awsome thanks. Can you mount it with the larger fans or is the only way to mount it with the smaller ones ?

The bigger fans wont fit at the top, and if you put them under they are not against the radiator which Eco does not recommend. I ended using that 1 fan as my side fan of the case.

The bigger fans wont fit at the top, and if you put them under they are not against the radiator which Eco does not recommend. I ended using that 1 fan as my side fan of the case.

I was hoping to fit a h70 in the first 200mm fan slot with a 120 mm fan pushing air through and the 200mm fan grabing and exhausting that air. I might still try it and see what happens.

This case is really for my bulldozer build as my q9650 could really stay in the p180b. just bored with it and want to clean up the cablw

edit

To expand on what I would like to do. I would mount it in the first 200mm fan spot . I'd have the 200mm fan blowing out of the case and the h70 mounted with very little space under the fan. i'd then have one of the 120mm fans that come with the h70 pushing air through the rad .

I know in your case mod thread you found out that the air would take the route of least resistance, but with the fan mounted up against the radaitor it would still blow through the fan and the 200mm would help draw it through .

Or of course nzxt could simply make a 200mm all in one wc system

Last edited:
trying to decide if I should buy this or the HAF X, wanted to know if I could mount the psu both fan facing up or down like the HAF allows

Decided to go with a Red and Black theme rather than the included blue lighting. Added custom water cooling using mostly XSPC parts - which were highly rated and work very well. Mobo, CPU, GPU, DVDRW and everything else I had already had in another case. The Phantom allowed me to switch from a CooliT Domino A.L.C self contained CPU cooler (1x120mm fan) to a custom 3x120mm Koolance radiator setup.

I modded the top beam (drilled 4 holes) to fit the 3x120mm Koolance radiator with three Cooler Master R4 series Red fans to push the air up through the radiator and out the top. The CPU water cooling block is a XSPC RASA and then a XSPC Dual 5.25 bay Reservoir/Pump Combo. Flow goes out the reservoir/pump to radiator then to the CPU block and back to the reservoir. Used distilled water and a silver coil as recommended by this [H] forum. 2 sets of M/F Koolance QDC (High Flow) No-Spill Shutoff Fittings (VL3N Series). Everything runs very smooth. Can't hear the pump and no vibrations or other flaws. It surpassed my expectations and really lowered the temps of my CPU.

I also put two more CM R4 Red's on the side panel and the back exhaust. I then put the white NZXT fans that came with the case from the side door up top to pull the hot air from the radiator and out the top mesh vent. Great airflow and all components are nice and cool. Picked up some wheels at Home Depot and put them on the bottom as this case goes on the floor. Case loaded up is a bit heavy, so the wheels help it roll around real nice.

Not seen in the pics of the inside loop is the Blood Red Dye added to change the distilled water red - which you can see in the picture of the front of the case in the reservoir.

Click here for slide show: The Black Phantom

Stage 2 will be water cooling the GPU... a soon as I decide on a GTX 570, GTX 580 or the new AMD HD 6900 series, which will be released next week, to see which card is the best value/performance :rolleyes:.

-SS

Last edited:
I've run into a dilemma with my new Phantom case. I ran Prime95 and FurMark with the fans that came with the case turned to high, and I got the following stable temps:

i7 930: 76-77 C
Asus 4870 GPU:65 C
" " Shader Core: 74 C
" " Memory: 79 C

If you guys were in my place, would you get an h70 to cool the CPU and overclock it to ~3.5 to 4 gHz, or would you get a 200 mm side fan to cool the Radeon and possibly overclock it? I use the computer mainly for movies and games such as Crysis, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Oblivion, Lock On, etc. so I can't tell if I'd benefit more from faster CPU or GPU.

I've run into a dilemma with my new Phantom case. I ran Prime95 and FurMark with the fans that came with the case turned to high, and I got the following stable temps:

If you guys were in my place, would you get an h70 to cool the CPU and overclock it to ~3.5 to 4 gHz, or would you get a 200 mm side fan to cool the Radeon and possibly overclock it? I use the computer mainly for movies and games such as Crysis, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Oblivion, Lock On, etc. so I can't tell if I'd benefit more from faster CPU or GPU.

I would get a 230MM side fan that's under 16dBA. I'm planning to do this myself.

I would get a 230MM side fan that's under 16dBA. I'm planning to do this myself.

I'm tempted to agree with you. It seems a shame to waste all that OC potential on a 930 though :(. I just measured and there's 1 & 1/8 inches of clearance between the edge of the rear fan (and by extension, the side of the hypothetical radiator) and the side of the case. The NZXT web site lists their 200 mm fan to be 1.5 inches thick. Is there a fan that would fit the side panel that's 1&1/8 inches thick or less? I can't tell which of the fan slots are proprietary to NZXT and which I can buy third party.

I've always noticed that nzxt makes their cases look super nice in pics, but in real they are sorta cheap looking imo. The inside looks really nice though, I like the cable management

A little more info please:

1) What CPU cooler is on the i7-930 now?

2) Did you run the tests at stock CPU, GPU, and RAM settings?

3) When you say "benefit more", what benefits are you referring to? (Tests scores, FPS, lower temps in general...?)

4) Does your 4870 auto adjust it's fan speed or do you set the speeds manually?

Your temps for the stock i7-930 and 4870 are within the manufacturer's range, and won't effect your tests scores. Overclocking is a different story. Adding case fans will do little to lower CPU temps if you have the stock Intel CPU heatsink on your processor.

Answer the 4 questions above and list your complete system specs in your signature so readers have a more complete understanding of your PC (Name of Motherboard, RAM, PSU, GPU, Hard Drives, Windows version including 32bit or 64bit, and Size of Monitor with Resolution).

Can you post a Pic with the side door open?

what heatsink do you have ?

I'm getting a phantom for chirstmas. I'm thinking of getting a h70 and trying to mount it in the spot of the 200mm fan on the top in the front slot. I think if i make a bracket i can mount it with a 200m fan and 1 120mm fan on the h70 in that spot.

I put up some picture of my rig to the link below:

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/Danja91/PC Updated 2/

Please note that the graphics card is this one so the fan over the gpu core (which automatically adjusts speed; was running at 70% during FurMark) does pretty much nothing for the VRAM. I'm assuming that's the reason for my high temps.The benchmarks/stability tests were done on stock clocks for all components. By benefit, I mean in terms of gaming performance. I'm not too worried about noise since I can hook up any new component to the fan controller, which seems to do a good job.

What's the verdict?

Please note that the graphics card is this one so the fan over the gpu core (which automatically adjusts speed; was running at 70% during FurMark) does pretty much nothing for the VRAM. I'm assuming that's the reason for my high temps.The benchmarks/stability tests were done on stock clocks for all components. By benefit, I mean in terms of gaming performance. I'm not too worried about noise since I can hook up any new component to the fan controller, which seems to do a good job.

What's the verdict?

CPU cooler??

And could someone combine a list of recommended upgrades for this case?

What's the verdict?

is that a stock cooler.. and are you overclocking the cpu? what voltage?
i have a phantom case and love it.. great temps inside case.. i get better temps with door closed then with it open air. so i that leads me to think this case has great air flow.

here some pics of mine (video card will be here today.)

IMG_20101216_203902.jpg

IMG_20101216_203843.jpg

here is my overclock
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1546650

It is the stock cooler. I didn't play at all with the cpu voltages or clocks. HWmonitor shows CPU VCORE with min & current values at .94 V, and a max at 1.03 V.

Looks like a decent case, not sure about the lack of any sort of filtration in the 5 1/4 bays though, the door isn't going to prevent any dust from going through.

I'm wondering, would this type of arrangement be possible/easy to do? If so, would I expect loud vibration?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/Danja91/sidepanel.jpg

Green is thin metal bars, red is screws, blue is a 120 or 140 mm fan. This would potentially allow me to actively cool my graphics card while still being able to install an h70.

Get a very low fan RPM fan and use rubber mounting. I would get at least a 200mm fan there.

EDIT: Do you have a fan in the front for intake?

Last edited:
Get a very low fan RPM fan and use rubber mounting. I would get at least a 200mm fan there.

EDIT: Do you have a fan in the front for intake?

So far I only have the fans that came with the case, but the front intake is high on my list of priorities. The problem is that I'm still torn between a full 200mm fan for that space, or a h70 cpu cooler. I really want to cool and OC my graphics card, but I also want to OC my 930. I asked this on the NZXT forum but the NZXT employee that replied didn't answer my question: would this fan fit the mounting holes? There's 28 mm clearance between where the h70 would be and the side panel of the case, so the 20 mm thick fan should fit with 5-8 mm clearance to spare. This would solve all my problems, but I'm not sure it would fit. I also wish it came without LEDs :)

What's the little round thing that comes with the case? I'm on vacation now so I can't describe it exactly but it's like a round black bulb connected by two short stiff wires to what if I recall correctly is half a usb header.

So far I only have the fans that came with the case, but the front intake is high on my list of priorities. The problem is that I'm still torn between a full 200mm fan for that space, or a h70 cpu cooler. I really want to cool and OC my graphics card, but I also want to OC my 930. I asked this on the NZXT forum but the NZXT employee that replied didn't answer my question: would this fan fit the mounting holes? There's 28 mm clearance between where the h70 would be and the side panel of the case, so the 20 mm thick fan should fit with 5-8 mm clearance to spare. This would solve all my problems, but I'm not sure it would fit. I also wish it came without LEDs :)

I have a 230mm fan on the side and a H70. It fits. :D

I have a 230mm fan on the side and a H70. It fits. :D

Link to said fan please? I just got a xigmatek f 2006 fan... Hopefully it'll fit. Although if your fan gives you better performance I could return the xigmatek unopened. How is the noise?

Also, any idea about the round thingy in my last post? I have this crazy hope that it's an internal blue tooth or rf dongle :D.

i read somewhere in the nzxt forums that they were planning to make adjustments to fit the h70 in the phantom. Has this been resolved and can an H70 fit in the nzxt without any problems now?

im torn between getting the h50 and h70.

The NZXT Phantom will be able to support the h50 and h70 without hitting the stock top fan. That was the issue when the first batch of Phantoms were produced. It was dropped a little after users experienced this.

If you do use the h50 and h70 push and pull setup, you may not be able to use a 200mm or greater side fan.

What's the little round thing that comes with the case? I'm on vacation now so I can't describe it exactly but it's like a round black bulb connected by two short stiff wires to what if I recall correctly is half a usb header.

If its this http://www.pc-extras.com/images/bsspm1.gif

Its an internal pc speaker cable that plugs to your mobo.

And that xigmatek fan wont fit, I had the phantom case and 1 of those xigmatek fans and it wouldnt align properly.

I also dont like the way the bottom rack is attached to the case, You have to unscrew it from bottom and the back. Wouldve been better if it slid in on grooves and held down by 1 screw.

heres mine!
2500k @stock
Corsair H50 Push/Pull
MSI P67A-GD65
MSI Twin Frozr 560 @stock
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws-x 1333 7-7-7-21
NZXT Phantom White
NZXT 850w PSU
NZXT Blue LED Rope
Crucial c300 64GB
LG DVD Burner

The window mod came out perfect. bought the acrylic, uchannel, and "god tape" from mnpctech.

IMAG0025_sm.jpg

IMAG0012_sm.jpg

IMAG0026_sm.jpg

IMAG0018_sm.jpg

IMAG0055_sm.jpg

IMAG0052_sm.jpg

IMAG0057_sm.jpg

IMAG0037_sm.jpg

IMAG0035_sm.jpg

IMAG0069_sm.jpg

IMAG0032_sm.jpg

IMAG0040_sm.jpg

IMAG0045_sm.jpg

IMAG0047_sm.jpg

Getting the black one for christmas, gonna mod a side panel window into it. I'm excited, and will post pics when I get it (months away I know)

Back