FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NZXT Kraken X31 All-In-One CPU Liquid Cooler - NZXT is also moving some of its AIO cooler strategy into the realm of making it smaller and more efficient. The Kraken X31 ticks that checkbox plus a few others, such as software control, variable pump speed, 16 inch tubing leads, and a six year warranty. (Place your own "Release the Kraken," joke here.)

Added this to my i7-4770 last year since the OEM HSF is a piece of crap (found out one core was peaking at 91C while gaming). In a slightly warmer room I see the same idle temps as in your testing, but slightly lower temps under load while playing games (48-51C). This is with the included thermal compound, but I am going to replace it with Arctic MX-4 shortly.

RE the CAM software:
I have not updated it to the latest version in a long while. That new version looks horrible, though, so I'm glad I haven't. The older version of the software was pretty resource intensive, but it is much better in version 3. I was never required to sign up for anything to get the access to all the features in the older version.

RE the LED:
The X31 does not actually come with RGB LED in the block, and to my knowledge none of the specifications or marketing material say it does. So the LED was not broken because there is no LED. Why NZXT decided to exclude the HUE lighting feature in this cooler is unknown because I can't imagine doing so saves them or the consumer any money.

Nice review.

I own an NZXT x60, 2 1/2 years old. I'm running CAM software, and everything you say about their software is spot on. Additionally, my LEDs (which should be variable, based on temps, if I so choose) do not change. I guess I should be lucky that they come on. My pump doesn't run at other than full speed, but is silent at that 3,000 rpm, so I'm not going to RMA it.

I've been sending in bug reports to NZXT via the CAM feedback options. I've gotten responses, usually within a week. However, CAM has a LOT of room for improvement.

Having said that, I still bought an x61, for a new build, last week. (I run my x60, and will run my x61, with Noctua 140mm PWM fans.)

Yea, got one when I did my build last year with a xeon 1231v3. Standard seems to be silent mode, I've never been bothered by temperatures with this, runs fine. Yea, no led.

I'm also running an older cam, it has a sign in screen, but it has a "skip" button. While I have the software, I have no use for it, so never use it.

Bottom line, it runs cool and keeps my cpu cool. I only occasionally hear some gurgling sounds from it, but nothing to worry about. Does what it's supposed to do. Install and forget. This is my first liquid cooling I've put in my computer, and for this reason, you can put it in and forget about it. No need to worry about the coolant, etc. I worry about cooling with my car, I couldn't be stuffed worrying about it in the computer either. These AIO solutions are great for set and forget. :)

It's definitely a good performer for a 120mm radiator, although it is priced a little on the high side. If it was closer to $60 this one would be a no-brainer if you didn't have room for a larger rad.

Nice review.

I own an NZXT x60, 2 1/2 years old. I'm running CAM software, and everything you say about their software is spot on. Additionally, my LEDs (which should be variable, based on temps, if I so choose) do not change. I guess I should be lucky that they come on. My pump doesn't run at other than full speed, but is silent at that 3,000 rpm, so I'm not going to RMA it.

I've been sending in bug reports to NZXT via the CAM feedback options. I've gotten responses, usually within a week. However, CAM has a LOT of room for improvement.

Having said that, I still bought an x61, for a new build, last week. (I run my x60, and will run my x61, with Noctua 140mm PWM fans.)

...and now that the new build is put together, I'm regretting the Kraken x61. I have the oft-reported "clicking" bug. It sounds like cavitation or bubbling from the pump. RMA fun... Thanks, NZXT.

Nice. Always think of them for cooling GPU's, but if they are comparable to Corsair, I wouldn't might getting one.

Back