NYC's Next Subway Cars Have Wi-Fi And USB Ports Built-In

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The MTA is modernizing NYC’s subway with 1,025 new and reimagined cars that feature WiFi, USB chargers, full color digital customer information displays, digital advertisements, illuminated door opening alerts, and security cameras. Now if only the city would spend some of that toll money toward fixing the atrocious roads.

At a press conference on Monday, Governor Andrew Guomo announced the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's $27 billion, five-year plan to add 1,025 new subway cars, more informative digital screens, better security features and -- most importantly for anyone who needs to get some work done underground – WiFi and USB charging ports in the cars and stations. "People want to work, and they want their device to work 24 hours a day," Governor Cuomo during the event at the New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn. "They don't want to have to look up. There has to be WiFi, and there need to be charging ports."

WiFi is a great addition, but the USB charging ports seem a little unnecessary. I don't think I've ever been on the subway long enough to actually need to use one, and I'll wager that they get broken/vandalized within a few days anyway.

The MTA is modernizing NYC’s subway with 1,025 new and reimagined cars that feature WiFi, USB chargers, full color digital customer information displays, digital advertisements, illuminated door opening alerts, and security cameras. Now if only the city would spend some of that toll money toward fixing the atrocious roads.

At a press conference on Monday, Governor Andrew Guomo announced the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's $27 billion, five-year plan to add 1,025 new subway cars, more informative digital screens, better security features and -- most importantly for anyone who needs to get some work done underground – WiFi and USB charging ports in the cars and stations. "People want to work, and they want their device to work 24 hours a day," Governor Cuomo during the event at the New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn. "They don't want to have to look up. There has to be WiFi, and there need to be charging ports."

Now with new and improved mugging convenience. I'm sure the the privacy policy is user friendly(snort)

Considering how much the NYC MTA is in debt, this is yet another slap in the face for NY and NYC taxpayers.

Great idea the NSA had here. Get the information in any way possible. I'm not against it either.

Within a week all of that fancy new shit will be destroyed by "youths".

Agreed.
The USB ports will be clogged with gum or other unidentified stuff.
The information screens will be usable because they are cracked, etched or spray painted.
And the WiFi will be hacked to infect systems with malware.

I also see an increase in Phones,Tablets, etc. getting stolen since people will have them out.

USB lives matter !

You could have read the article before spouting bullshit. This is all paid for by the fare people pay to ride the subway.

No bullshit. All government transportation is subsidized by the taxpayer. The fares pay for everything...LOL...they probably pay for 30% or less. But, hey, you keep believing that.

I guess we should just get rid of public transportation. I mean its not benefiting you guys and you probably got slowed down in traffic because of public transit a couple times so fuck all the public that actually relies on public transportation. Its just not worth the public's cost to invest in infrastructure and transportation for the public.

Back