NY Governor Wants Statewide 100Mbps Internet by 2019

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
New York’s Governor, Andrew Cuomo, announced at a press conference that all of New York State should have access to 100Mbps high speed Internet by 2019. The New New York Broadband Program will cost an approximated $1 Billion dollars, the financing will come from an already allotted $500 Million from the state and a matching $500 Million from private companies.

The program is part of Cuomo's 2015 State of Opportunity Agenda and although those matching funds call for providers to offer at 100 Mbps speeds in most cases, it does allow for as low as 25Mbps in extremely remote areas of the state.

Don't let the government take control of the internet. It's no surprise this is happening in NY.

To understand just how slow six Mbps is: it takes approximately 1.22 hours to download a 6 gigabyte movie at that speed. The same movie would only take 49 seconds to download at 100 Mbps.

Wut?

I smell a great opportunity for Verizon and TWC/Comcast to swindle some more public money.

Honestly I can't believe this tool got voted back in with all the shady unconstitutional shit he has passed. On topic, 100mb /twirls finger..we already have it in most area's. Way to set the bar real high there douche. :rolleyes:

I smell a great opportunity for Verizon and TWC/Comcast to swindle some more public money.
I smell a great opportunity for new york to ban franchisement for internet lines and force open access across the state. Then again i'm sure Comcast and Verizon will grease a few palms to prevent that from happening.

49 seconds... lol. That math. Maybe someone confused 1 Gbps.
beyond that i think.

1.22 hours is 90 times the length of 49 seconds.
100mbps is 16 times the speed of 6mbps.

90=/=16, even by a factor close to 8

beyond that i think.

1.22 hours is 90 times the length of 49 seconds.
100mbps is 16 times the speed of 6mbps.

90=/=16, even by a factor close to 8
It's completely nonsensical math even with assuming an error of 8 for bit byte or 1024 vs 1000 it's just weird unless it account for the traditional "up to" service ISPs do.

You'd rather have monopolies controlling the internet? Hell no!
Why do we have to choose between a turd sandwich and a diarrhea shake? Certainly there are other options, such as making internet a utility and then deregulating it for open competition such as is done in Texas. They have zero risk to lay down the infrastructure since they are reimbursed for the one-time cost, but then any powerplant can compete for your business equally so you have dozens upon dozens of options. The same should apply to the internet, it doesn't matter who lays the fiber to your home, its a no-risk venture to do so, but then as a consumer I get to pick from dozens of ISPs.

HAHA

What a boast. Verizon owns NY by the balls. This won't happen. It'll happen when Verizon wants it to.

Honestly I can't believe this tool got voted back in with all the shady unconstitutional shit he has passed. On topic, 100mb /twirls finger..we already have it in most area's. Way to set the bar real high there douche. :rolleyes:

It is New York state, what did you expect. I live here so I know first hand. Mostly New York city elected him. On the other hand mostly NYC would get this speed and the rest of the state would get sloppy seconds.

Don't let the government take control of the internet. It's no surprise this is happening in NY.

I'm with you. Ever since Lafayette Louisiana and Chattanooga TN put in government fiber, people have been suffering with low cost high speed internet. It's a fucking disaster. Leave the internet to Comcast, Cox, Verizon, AT&T and TWC. Private businesses that understand how to deliver middling speeds at a premium cost.

I'm with you. Ever since Lafayette Louisiana and Chattanooga TN put in government fiber, people have been suffering with low cost high speed internet. It's a fucking disaster. Leave the internet to Comcast, Cox, Verizon, AT&T and TWC. Private businesses that understand how to deliver middling speeds at a premium cost.

Yea the big guys will keep everything open and free! :D

They understand how to deliver high speed at low cost provided they aren't given monopolies by local governments. Or are you just unaware of how it works in most places?

While I'd love the upgrade, I'm not exactly sold on wonders of the whole gov't run/controlled (same thing only different) internet.
Cuomo is so full of BS it oozes out every time he opens his mouth. That shifty POS will find some way to fill it full of nasty gotchas.
And as with everything else; when he says "NYS" he means 'Upstate" will fund it and "NYC" will reap the benefits.
I can't imagine it even coming close to covering the whole state. NY has a LOT of "a few homes in the middle of nowhere" type places. I wonder how they're defining "access".
I'm sure it sounded great on paper.

They understand how to deliver high speed at low cost provided they aren't given monopolies by local governments. Or are you just unaware of how it works in most places?

Where are these non-monopoly cable places? Everywhere I've lived, there's one cable company. If you're lucky, you'll get a DSL offer, but your theoretical max is 6 Mb/s in most cases and most people won't get that.

Occasionally AT&T will actually offer their digital services, but even then the prices are high. So now, if you're lucky, you have a duopoly offering real high speed internet. If you're not so lucky, you have one carrier offering high speed internet at a very high price. If you're unlucky, you'll only have one provider which may be fast or it may be slow.

In Lafayette, Cox cable sat around charging high prices for fairly low speeds, while AT&T literally stuck their thumb up their ass and did nothing for years. OK that's not fair, they did spend about 5 years trying every possible way to stop municipal fiber, while continuing to do nothing.

After losing, AT&T said, "we can't compete," while Cox suddenly decided a small city was the place to deploy their first Docis 3.0 network. that wouldn't have happened if LUS wasn't deploying FTTH.

I'm intimately familiar with how telecoms work. We will fuck you up the ass if we can. And fortunately people like you will bend over every time. Trust me, we're constantly amazed at what we get away with.

Cuomo won NY by winning 3 Counties... All the other 40 something counties voted against him. Thats how fucked New York is.

They paid their lobbies, they get to be the voters. It's money politics. In the DSL days line sharing was mandated so we had a ton of DSL providers, that mandate magically disappeared for broadband, and here we are today.

Cuomo won NY by winning 3 Counties... All the other 40 something counties voted against him. Thats how fucked New York is.
3 counties(that number seems off) oh yeah he didn't win 3 counties out of 40. He won 16 counties out of 62. Too bad none of that matters because New York elects governor by popular vote not some electoral college crap, 54 percent vs 41 percent of the popular vote. Guess what most of the population is in a few areas like most states :p

What a dumb complaint. Land can't vote. Who cares what the map looked like. Where do the people live?

Where are these non-monopoly cable places?
My point exactly.

Occasionally AT&T will actually offer their digital services, but even then the prices are high. So now, if you're lucky, you have a duopoly offering real high speed internet.
Or you get a city council war of one against the other; happened here. The city council put a 6 month moratorium on building anything in the area between the sidewalk and the road--exactly where AT&T puts its boxes.

So still the problem isn't private business; the problem is government.

Government has yet to run a fiber line to my house and promise to bury it later and not come back for half a year. Private business has, I think I'll choose my poison.

That's not how the election works. More votes = win. Welcome to democracy.

That's nice. I'm in a constitutional republic. For the moment. Took a lot of people to die to make it that way, but history can always repeat itself if necessary.

Maybe those other counties should get more people

The problem is how completely different NYC is from the rest of the state. Quite honestly good policy for NYC is rarely good policy for the rest of the state. The retarded gun laws are one of many such examples. I've lived here 2 years and honestly if it wasn't for the fact that the schools in my area are really good I would move. I absolutely hate this place due to the idiocy running it.

That's nice. I'm in a constitutional republic. For the moment. Took a lot of people to die to make it that way, but history can always repeat itself if necessary.

Aw cmon, that old yarn? That's like saying "I'm not eating fish, I'm eating tuna".

Just because you don't like the winner doesn't mean there's something wrong with how he won. If you're actually butthurt someone won because they got more votes you need to self examine.

Don't worry, once they run out of other people's tax money or decide to spend it elsewhere, the prices will go up and the service quality will go down.

Out of curiosity, please explain what you think will happen if the government "takes over" the internet. What precisely does that mean to you?

Spell it out, I'm quite slow and wish to understand your reasoning.

Popular vote is popular vote. I don't give a crap that more districts called Mud-Hole, NY went for the alternative. NO ONE LIVES there. What is your problem thinking that a thousand ditches trumps MORE people living in actual CIVILIZATION?

My point exactly.

Or you get a city council war of one against the other; happened here. The city council put a 6 month moratorium on building anything in the area between the sidewalk and the road--exactly where AT&T puts its boxes.

So still the problem isn't private business; the problem is government.

It could be EITHER. Do you get that? Don't be some anti government zealot? What if that city government allowed building? Would it still be "in the way?"

Government is staffed by men not angels, and guess what, business is staffed by men not angels. That fact does not magically change just because some guy puts on a business suit and works for a corporation. And not all men have the incentives or desires to offer better products and services. In a competitive market businesses that might not want to care are FORCED to care or they go out of business, in non competitive markets they can choose to not care and do just fine. For these reasons, it's POSSIBLE for a municipality to be even MORE responsive to their citizens needs than a corporation. If that was not the case then people would not bother voting for such things in the first place.

Governor races are typically straight democracy votes. Deal with it. Don't worry, you still have congress where the forces of near empty land gaining more power than where a majority of people across the nation actually live. If I have an ideology that was so weak and feeble that it could not hope to actually convince a majority of a nation, I would cherish the fact that my ideas don't HAVE to be that strong to win congress, they just have to convince more people living out in the sticks.

Am I the only one who read the headline and thought:

"Yeah and he's also not scared to tax the fuck out of you to accomplish it!"

Some people don't need or want 100 Mbps internet. Personally I want as fast as I can get, and I pay for it, but this sounds like yet another communist scheme were people like me end up subsidizing freeloaders who would survive fine on 20 Mbps.

Back