NVME vs HDD in Photoshop - Issue?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by vidoprof, Mar 5, 2019.

1. vidoprof

vidoprof Limp Gawd

My Build:
    Windows 10 64 bit 1809
    Gigabyte Aorus Master z390
    G Skill 32gb Ram
    Gigabyte 1060 6gb GPU
    DS15 CPU Cooler
    500gb 860 Evo (OS and apps)
    1TB - 970 EVO m.2 (scratch, cache for Premiere Pro and Photoshop)
    4 tb storage drive (WD Black)

So I tend to save my files to the NVME then edit there and then copy to the WD Black drive and delete off the NVME (I figured it would be faster editing and saving files etc).

Well I did a test on some files and saving a LARGE .png file on both the HDD and NVME were nearly similar results. The file is roughly 80mb large (not huge by any stretch) and then HDD came in at 28 seconds to save it and the NVME came in at 24-25 seconds.

I THINK something is still wrong with my rig, but would this indicate that something is wrong? Shouldn't the NVME save that file in like 3 seconds?

Thanks
    Ryan G

2. Nemesis_001

Nemesis_001 n00b

Your bottleneck is probably elsewhere as both the HDD and NVME SSD should save it within less than a second, as their transfer rates are much higher than 80MB/sec.
    I am not familiar with photoshop but I would guess some conversion is going on in.

3. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

Do some basic benches (Atto/Crystal Disk) to just see what the baseline performance of the NVMe is. If it's within 15% of spec then the issue is elsewhere as mentioned above.