NVMe M.2 drives for users?

Skyblue

Limp Gawd
Has anyone seen any for sale? Like Samsung SM951 or similar?

I understand that its meant for OEM only, but just maybe somebody sold them online anyway?

None yet from what I've seen. You'll probably be able to get the SM951 a few months after they release it for OEMs. Probably not right away (though not strictly impossible).

That new 512G Samsung M.2 drive is pretty goddamn fast, if you're looking for speed. But if you can wait, the SM951 will be faster, I hear.

If (and big if ) the SM951 is available to consumers it will be pretty expensive being only 1TB size.

I am also planning X99 build with using the M.2 slot for very fast PCIE 3.0x4 NVME SSD. The solution at which I arrived is buying an Intel PCIE SSD from the P3600 series (PCIE card or 2.5" box)

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/intel-ssd-dc-family-for-pcie.html

and then using adapter (possibly with flat cable) for connecting the PCIE card into the M.2 slot:

http://www.bplus.com.tw/PDF/P4SM2_brief.pdf

But this is still only a plan as the Intel P3600 SSDs are not available yet, supposedly coming very soon.

If (and big if ) the SM951 is available to consumers it will be pretty expensive being only 1TB size.

I am also planning X99 build with using the M.2 slot for very fast PCIE 3.0x4 NVME SSD. The solution at which I arrived is buying an Intel PCIE SSD from the P3600 series (PCIE card or 2.5" box)

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/intel-ssd-dc-family-for-pcie.html

and then using adapter (possibly with flat cable) for connecting the PCIE card into the M.2 slot:

http://www.bplus.com.tw/PDF/P4SM2_brief.pdf

But this is still only a plan as the Intel P3600 SSDs are not available yet, supposedly coming very soon.

If the price is under $1k I'm fine with that, do you know what is the speed of the Intel compare to 951?

If the price is under $1k I'm fine with that, do you know what is the speed of the Intel compare to 951?

It won't be $1K for server-grade 1 TB SSD. Intel is whole range of products wrt capacity and grading, but it is generally way faster (esp. read), look into the specs above. Intel is also hailed as cheaper in the lower grades segment.

^--- Hope Gigabyte sends out an update or is already capable, i'm leaning towards the intel PCIe 3600 though :)

Why would you use such an adapter instead of a PCIe slot? IMHO the only advantage of the M.2 slot over PCIe is the capability to also use SATA.

M.2 is then like another PCIe slot, just saving one PCIe slot for other use.

M.2 is then like another PCIe slot, just saving one PCIe slot for other use.

I see. But you should check the manual for the board you use. Most boards I have seen share the lanes between the M.2 slot and a PCIe slot, you would just deactivate a perfectly usable normal slot by adding a fragile construction with such an adapter.

I see. But you should check the manual for the board you use. Most boards I have seen share the lanes between the M.2 slot and a PCIe slot, you would just deactivate a perfectly usable normal slot by adding a fragile construction with such an adapter.

I agree with this. But there is one benefit - you'll be able to use it in either a desktop or a modern, decent laptop. Not that I often swap drives between desktops and laptops... but it's still of some benefit to be able to.

They take up less room in the case, draw less power, run faster... Let's see, I'm sure there are other advantages.

They take up less room in the case, draw less power, run faster... Let's see, I'm sure there are other advantages.

They won't draw less power unless they have fewer channels, which would affect performance. The other stuff is of little to no importance.

I agree with this. But there is one benefit - you'll be able to use it in either a desktop or a modern, decent laptop. Not that I often swap drives between desktops and laptops... but it's still of some benefit to be able to.

You probably did not read the post I originally commented to. The poster wanted to connect an Intel (standard connector) PCIe SSD to an M.2 slot with an adapter.
And that is most probably not going to fit in a laptop.

Back