nvme gen4 x4: 2tb PNY XLR8 cs3140 or XPG Gammix S70 Blade?

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
Which of these 2 drives should i get? They seem to have some of the best specs on the market right now besting the Samsung 850 pro and WD Black SN850.

The XPG has 7400/6800MB/s Read/Write and costs $280 on Amazon. The PNY has 7500/6850 so basically same and costs $316. Both have 5 year warranty, but which would be better to deal with I don't know.

Or do you think I should spend more and go with a more well known brand like Samsung 850 pro, WD Black SN850 or something else you could recommend?

What will you be doing with the drive? Most use cases will never notice the difference. Sequential read/write speed is rarely the long pole in the tent.

Well a Samsung 850 PRO is an old SATA drive and realy not comparable preformance wise to these NVMe drives you are looking into, that would be a 980 PRO which from what I can see is quite a bit pricier.

But like the other poster said what are you going to use it for? For general use in a gaming PC you are not going to see much difference between PCIe gen 3 and gen4 so it's not going to matter much but if you have a use case for it that's another matter.

It would be my new boot drive with the OS on it. I've got a 1tb and a 500gb m.2 drives and running out of space on all the games I want to have installed. Yeah I made a typo on the Samsung I meant the 980 pro which is a bit more expensive, but not sure worth the price because it's not faster than the ones I listed

it's really not going to matter unless you are in the habit of sitting around with a stop-watch timing your boot and game loading speeds.

Some rough numbers: let's assume a 10 GB game file, which is probably larger than reality, and let's assume it's read sequentially in one go, which is almost certainly not true but is a best case. A good PCIe 3.0 SSD, let's say a Hynix Gold P31, will read that file in just about 3 seconds. One of the early PCIe 4.0 rated at 5000+ MB/s will do it in 2 seconds, and the XPG or PNY will do it in a bit under 1.5 seconds assuming that the rating is realistic. The difference between the XPG and PNY is a small fraction of a second.

Once you break that single sequential read into a bunch of smaller reads, or (horrors) a bunch of small random reads, speeds drop massively and I/O setup time starts to dominate. At some point you might as well be using a SATA drive.

Basically you need to be reading and writing tens or hundreds of GB sequentially to make the difference matter. My advice would be to buy the one that makes you feel that you made the best choice.

Back