NVME boot support for legacy motherboards.

Alienslare

Limp Gawd
i cant find a relevant post out here.

As the topic cited i want to know how to provide or edit bios to support nvme drives for older boards like x48 x58 x79

These drives do work for storage but is there any permanent solution to get it working as a boot drive ?

spine

2[H]4U

Luke M

Limp Gawd

Alienslare

Limp Gawd
Thanks guys i will look into it and iv seen people booting those nvme without UEFI bios.
AMI bios boards still have value and performance.

Another question can an old motherboard have a UEFI bios instead of AMI ?

Alienslare

Limp Gawd
So iv searched alot and it seems nvme only works with 3rd party software through bootable usb which is to kept in usb port all the time on a legacy non uefi motherboard

Isnt there any way to just modify bios and get it going ?

Unknown-One

[H]ardForum Junkie
I just followed this guide to modify and flash my P8Z68-V/GEN3 firmware with NVMe boot support:

https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html

Grab the latest UEFI ROM for your board and the appropriate utility from the thread, then inject one of the two available boot modules (a small version is provided for UEFIs with little free space) and flash the modified firmware.

Edit: Just saw you have a non-UEFI board... yeah, a small USB flash drive to hold the Clover bootloader is about all you can do.

Last edited:

Alienslare

Limp Gawd
I just followed this guide to modify and flash my P8Z68-V/GEN3 firmware with NVMe boot support:

https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html

Grab the latest UEFI ROM for your board and the appropriate utility from the thread, then inject one of the two available boot modules (a small version is provided for UEFIs with little free space) and flash the modified firmware.

Edit: Just saw you have a non-UEFI board... yeah, a small USB flash drive to hold the Clover bootloader is about all you can do.
Yeh i did that and for alternates Certain Plexter and Samsung such as 950 pro nvme have boot option rom to support legacy bios.