Nvidia's view on Waterblocks in regards to Warranty?

Daishi123

Limp Gawd
Any one ever try to warranty aftermarket waterblocked Card? Noticed all of a sudden no matter what game I was playing in the past week that the temps jumped up to 70c under load. Pulled the blocks reapplied thermal paste and changed the fluid in the loop. And now Low Res Mode + Code 43 = same issue as the DOA card.

My RTX Titan just died and its been running a water block for 18 months....and of course I think I'm missing some of the screws that came with the old fan block for it. So....is it even worth trying or am I SOL and should just wait and bite the bullet for a 30xx card.

And this will be the 2nd RTX Titan that has died, first one was DOA and this was the replacement :/

NVIDIA says the right to repair or replacement is revoked if the product was repaired altered by anyone besides NVIDIA, the manufacturer, or an authorized technician. If you put the card back together as it was sold I wouldn't think there would be an issue unless there are telltale signs that it was taken apart. Unfortunately missing screws is a telltale sign. From the description, though, I don't think that the failure was caused by the waterblock.

Thanks. Its worth a shot I guess, worst case they tell me to pound sand. Thankfully the old pascal Titan fired right up so I can wait it out till the 30xx series stuff drops.

I would think the change of thermal paste would be enough to be able to tell that it was taken apart. I don't know if that's enough to deny a warranty claim though.

I'd definitely submit a claim and see what happens.

I bet they wouldn’t even notice the missing screws, they’re likely not going to forensically examine the card. Water cooling should not void the warranty especially since that wasn’t the cause of failure, but please keep us posted.

I’ve had mine fixed fine after having had a waterblock on it. Just put the cooler back on and sent it in. With a titan even more so tbh. They know the score.

It’s one of the benefits of Nvidia (or Evga)

I’ve had mine fixed fine after having had a waterblock on it. Just put the cooler back on and sent it in. With a titan even more so tbh. They know the score.

It’s one of the benefits of Nvidia (or Evga)

Cool. Should be sending mine out monday or tuesday to get it fixed. Don't think I'll put the water block back on it after this since we are so close to the next gen.

From what I read Nvidia is pretty damn good with rma. Unless it something completely blatant. They will take care of you.

Ya when the new 3xxx series comes out I'm likely going to buy another card direct vs any of the others once some good waterblocks come out.

Just curious, did you send it with missing screws on the stock hsf?

Glad it all worked out cause Titans be spensive.

Yup, there were I think 2? screws missing on the backplate....pretty easy to see they weren't there.

Ya.....and I've had 2 die now out of the RTX line, 1st was DOA...and the 2nd died almost 18 months to the day later.

And to close this out, got the replacement card today with no issues from nvidia.
Yup, there were I think 2? screws missing on the backplate....pretty easy to see they weren't there.

Ya.....and I've had 2 die now out of the RTX line, 1st was DOA...and the 2nd died almost 18 months to the day later.

Awesome, good information! Good on nvidia for their customer service with RMA, least they can do with their prices is back their hardware up.

I was on the fence, but this secured it for me: going FE this round. I'll keep my 1080ti on retainer in case there are any issues with the 3000 series, but reading this tells me I can but direct with confidence.

I was on the fence, but this secured it for me: going FE this round. I'll keep my 1080ti on retainer in case there are any issues with the 3000 series, but reading this tells me I can but direct with confidence.

Ya....Its hard to beat that. It was plainly obvious if they took 5 mins to look at the hard that it had been watercooled.

I've RMA'd a few cards back to Nvidia when i used waterblocks. I just put the stock coolers back on before i sent the cards back.

If I buy a 3000 card it will be directly from nvidia for sure. It’s nice to see a company taking care of its customers

Damn that's a pretty high failure rate on a titan line. My pascal Titan is still rocking on a block too, knocks on wood. Just a lil longer...

Damn that's a pretty high failure rate on a titan line. My pascal Titan is still rocking on a block too, knocks on wood. Just a lil longer...

Yup, I put my Titan xP back into the loop while I was waiting for the RMA. I think in general the RTX line has had a lot of failures in general, I know when they first came out a lot of people were getting space invaders.

Back