Nvidia's Tom Peterson leaves for intel

seriously.... what the hell does intel have planned here? theyre collecting major players from everyplace for something big. id be shocked if their new gpu is world shattering enough to be collecting all these people.

Could very well be that Intel is looking for options beyond a die-shrinking x86 CPU business and noticing that Nvidia owns the high performance market, and AMD owns everything integrated into an SoC, including consoles, and they are thinking....there's room to cause trouble in this market for both. A strong Intel SoC could power a console, a strong Intel GPU could upset the one party system gamers have been living with for the past 5 years (arguably).......

I don't understand Intel...if it was AMD hiring all these people like Kyle etc I could understand...they need the help to try and take down Intel...but why is Intel doing it?...makes no sense

Maybe the ever-growing list of HW level exploits on their products? It's damn near impossible to buy an Intel based machine in any steady quantity at the moment, as vendors are not keep on selling PCs with known security issues to businesses. Want to be the new Netger Router in TJ Maxx, this is how you become that.

Intel needs a massive PR and marketing boost to counteract that, which I feel like the snatchageddon is all about. They cannot release gamer level hardware successfully if people are worried that their sole desktop isn't secure enough to trust having financial data on it. Sure they can use their phone, or their tablet/laptop/etc...but that's not what most people want. They don't want a PC that they can't do some PC things on due to HW issues...they want a PC that does "errthang". Right now AMD is delivering on that front. That said, Intel needs to regain consumer trust before their procs become the next IBM Deathstar.

FWIW: Engineers in marketing depts are a thing. Marketing needs Engineers so to avoid situations where the marketing team doesn't fully understand what the thing does. I used to work in an environment where the marketing team weren't technical enough to understand the very complex product. That lead to us being bought out, since we had no real growth. The company that bought us put engineers in the marketing team, and sales exploded. Reason being, the old team was selling it to accountants, while the new team was selling it to IT, and using language they'll appreciate rather than accounting-speak. That's my two-cent anecdote about this.

That said, they couldn't have picked better people for the job, IMO.

Looks like Intel is hiring the best of the best to come work for them. People with connections and influence over other professionals in the field. I would hope that Tom brings some of the NVIDIA researchers and engineers with him. Is he is suddenly going to stop hanging out with his friends because he left NVIDIA for Intel? :)

Hey this is great for Kyle and the others getting "poached". Honestly it is good for Intel as well and we *might* benefit. Intel has to look and see their market share being threatened and possibly stagnant/regressing. They can't let that happen or they are in for a world of hurt. Intel has been in graphics since the beginning - in the 80's (iSBX275), 90's (i740) and early 2000s (GMA series). Nowadays they work fine for normal everyday stuff and DVD/youtube but AMD integrated is just better at graphics acceleration for SOC's and NV dominates the parallel computing/engineering computing environment and I bet Intel sees that as the way of the future. It makes sense that when they want to go after that market they load up on industry talent and push hard. It really will be interesting to see how their new product does. I really wish Kyle and crew could do a review of it here at [H] but that won't be happening.

Also, the guy at Apple that designed the A7 - A12 SOC's (which, regardless of your stance on Apple, are beasts of chips, especially for their powerdraw) apparently also left Apple for destinations unknown.

Wonder if Intel is getting serious about mobile finally?

You seem to be forgetting about them hiring Jim Keller the main man behind Zen.

They seem to be making a serious push to get back on track but they really need to get their process nodes in order if they want to lay the smackdown on anybody(almost including ARM at this point).

Ah thankfully someone mentioned Jim Keller. I was like ummm they got Jim Keller and Raja Koduri. Keller was lead architect for Athlon 64, helped Apple make a dominant ARM CPU, co-author of x86-64 instruction set, went back to AMD to help create Zen, VP for Tesla autopilot division. Dude has an insane resume.

We are the InBorgatel. Lower your shields and surrender your CPU/GPU. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your company will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

- LoKyletus of InBorgatel
Intel-Borg.jpg

I stand corrected. The OP says he had a marketing position. The actual article mentions numerous accolades as an engineer.

If I remember correctly Peterson invented G-sync. He also wrote the overclocking API's that MSI afterburner and other similar software use.

To me it feels like they see the Intel forecasts are looking bad and they decided to make a big investment strategical shift now that they still have a shitload of capital to play with before the company continue to slip downwards and it will be harder to make the shift. Hopefully this is mostly due to the GPU market push.

Whatever the reason is behind the recent hirings, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

If by stealing you mean offering talented people more lucrative salaries to hire them away from competition that clearly wasn't paying as much, then yes, they are stealing.

And if by evil you mean participating in the capitalist market economy by hiring talented employees to improve their competitive advantage to reverse their decline and stay relevant, then yes, they are evil.

This is the way to compete. Hire the best people and pay them the most money to develop a product that is technically better in every way.

Not by incentivizing OEMs to prioritize your product over the competition.
Not by punishing OEMs who fail to prioritize your product over the competition.

Well, this should be interesting to see what Intel comes out with. Also, this will keep a fire lit under AMD and Nvidia both and that can only be a good thing. :)

And another, and another, and another, and well-here's another:

"Intel snatches more AMD staff for its Xe GPU team, Heather Lennon from AMD RTG Digital Marketing" -https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/i...er-lennon-from-amd-rtg-digital-marketing.html

I honestly can't say if in my lifetime I've ever seen, or been aware of, such an aggressive restructuring of one company as the talent migrates from it's most immediate competitors. I am impressed with you Intel.

You seem to be forgetting about them hiring Jim Keller the main man behind Zen.

They seem to be making a serious push to get back on track but they really need to get their process nodes in order if they want to lay the smackdown on anybody(almost including ARM at this point).

While I have immense respect for Jim Keller for all of his work (although K7-K8 is his legacy IMO), He WAS NOT the "Main Man" behind Zen. It has been debunked numerous times, by Lisa Su ( you know, the engineer and CEO of AMD). I believe AMD brought Keller in to honestly work on Zen (as an outside pair of eyes) but also to manage their K12 (IIRC that is the name) ARM CPU that was supposed to be able to drop directly into an AM4 socket for their ARM dense servers via Sea Micro.

AMD abandoned that effort due to fiscal costs, and it seemed to be the right move given how little ARM has penetrated the market at this point. Their new Clean sheet designed A76 and later variants are going to be a contender though.

And another, and another, and another, and well-here's another:

"Intel snatches more AMD staff for its Xe GPU team, Heather Lennon from AMD RTG Digital Marketing" -https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/i...er-lennon-from-amd-rtg-digital-marketing.html

I honestly can't say if in my lifetime I've ever seen, or been aware of, such an aggressive restructuring of one company as the talent migrates from it's most immediate competitors. I am impressed with you Intel.

Honestly, I am cool with it, as long as they do not steal any intellectual property. Personally, I think Intel needs to be observed very, very closely.

Looking into the future, at some point we'll have a Johnny Mnemonic/Rdy Player One VR internet. I think Intel figured this out and wants a foothold, they slept through the move to mobile. Google partnered with AMD for Stadia but Intel could nudge its way in there competing on price/pwr consumption. nVidia payed 7b for Mellanox but google already has its network in place. It pains me to say it but the forces that be are pushing hard for streaming and it seems to be the first logical step. Enthusiast and modders will likely get the shaft in this scenario and there's the potential for monopolies. If the netflix game streaming model prevails what happens when you grow nostalgic to play some of your favorite 10+ year old games and its not profitable for the monopoly to keep on its servers.

It probably won't happen for their first release but maybe in a few generations they'll reach parity with NVIDIA while AMD will probably just give up eventually. There's not enough growth in the PC AIB market for 3 players.

So true. Not enough room in the market. Will Intel flop or will AMD, on the video card side. Neither company is in a very strong position in my opinion.

Back