NVIDIA's Shield TV Upgrades to 4K for Cast and Google Play Movies

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Your Shield TV can now replace your Chromecast Ultra: NVIDIA has patched their device so owners can now stream 4K movies and TV from Google Play. The update also includes 4K Google Cast support, which means Ultra HD content can be sent from any Cast-enabled mobile app to your TV.

An update lets all Shield TV boxes play both the content you Cast and Google Play titles in the ultra-sharp resolution, so you don't have to be quite so picky when looking for material beyond 1080p. This won't necessarily make a night-and-day difference, at least not at first. Shield TV already supported a large chunk of available 4K video with mainstay services like Amazon, Netflix and YouTube, and there are only so many Cast-enabled apps that have 4K content to show. Nonetheless, this fleshes out NVIDIA's living room media hubs in a big way. Theoretically, you now have extra-sharp video from any supporting app on your phone.

Nice, been wanting to pick one of these up at some point, but they haven't went on sale in over a year it seems. The first year they were out there were sales on them every couple months.

I was very lucky to get the 2015 during the holiday season. It was $150 with the remote for free special. This is hands down the best streaming device there is. Oddly, at first I was a little disappointed, but then the updates came out and one by one they make the Shield better and better. I highly recommend this if you are a cord cutter or looking for a fast and responsive streaming device.

I dont like some of the crap that nvidia does, but must admit, as a htpc/streamer, the Shield is a very good device.

My shield has pretty much replaced the htpc. The only problem I have is I don't have one for every TV. Plex & Kodi is must have in my household and the shield delivers.

Wonder if the Nintendo Switch will have this capability eventually.

Back