NVIDIA's RTX 4080 Problem: They're Not Selling & MSRP Doesn't Exist

I really doubt that AI/ML can be as profitable as mining. It certainly does give investors hope, which is all Nvidia needs.
That depends on what you're doing with it. Searching within images for pattern matches? Highly profitable. Making goofy art? Probably not profitable. Pattern matching words in transcriptions of phone calls? Extremely profitable. Writing a book via chat GPT? Probably not... and so on. Enterprise use cases are sometimes $$, other times not, but everyone (for better or worse) is chasing them.

if 4080 dropped to 800 or 900 right now. I'd buy one.
If that was the MSRP, they would be out of stock and scalped at current 4080 prices i.e. 4090.

Pricing you don't want: In Stock
Pricing you do want: Out of Stock

We've been through this for the last two years but some are still dreaming of better days.

With GeforceNow and AI, I think Nvidia is anticipating that sometime in the future.

It's not a 0% possibility.

The only thing better than selling a GPU to a customer for a one time profit is having the customer rent a GPU from your server for a monthly charge.

Add in the rising cost of parts + electricity + cost of electricity etc to the customer's end of the equation as the years and tech generations go on...

It's imaginable at least.

I am still stupid bitter about GPU pricing, but at the same time, we are at where we are at.
For the vast majority of PC gamers, 60+ FPS max settings 1080p has never been cheaper.
For the enthusiast croud who wants full ray tracing 4K max settings, you have to pay through the nose.
It's the people stuck in the middle ground that are getting done dirty.

Too many dummies willing to pay scalper prices for that to happen, unfortunately--whether it's consoles, GPUs, sneakers, concert tickets, whatever.

if there were so many dummies willing to pay scalper prices, they would be buying 4080s right now.

if there were so many dummies willing to pay scalper prices, they would be buying 4080s right now.
The "I can afford it" crowd need to understand they are feeding future GPU price hikes.
I could afford it when Nvidia jacked the 1080's price up to $700 (the 980 was $550). I cannot afford it when they did the same for the $1200 4080.

When the 5080 is $1500 or the 6080 is $2000, and you can't afford it anymore, we will be here to say "told you so".

The "I can afford it" crowd need to understand they are feeding future GPU price hikes.
I could afford it when Nvidia jacked the 1080's price up to $700 (the 980 was $550). I cannot afford it when they did the same for the $1200 4080.

When the 5080 is $1500 or the 6080 is $2000, and you can't afford it anymore, we will be here to say "told you so".
There will be a lower level/cheaper card to buy. Are you owed an X80 card at the price you want?

No one is entitled to anything. Companies will change their ways when they don't make money. Simple as that.

Nvidia is still out there promoting their service GeforceNow or whatever. They pay streamers to show it off fairly often.
Maybe that's Nvidia's master plan, make individual GPUs so unaffordable that the masses are forced to sign up to their shitty streaming service.

That’s how it works. Lots of things used to be affordable that aren’t anymore. Private flying, boat ownership, commuter cars, strip clubs, kids, etc. Being upset about it won’t fix it. Learn to settle for less or start climbing the ladder. Hate to say it, but that’s just reality.

I sold all seven of my 1080s for around $900 used, when i quit mining. Its much easier to justify a $550, $900, or $1500 video card when it generates an ROI. I was never into mining because i cared about crypto. I was in it, because i love computer hardware.

That’s how it works. Lots of things used to be affordable that aren’t anymore. Private flying, boat ownership, commuter cars, strip clubs, kids, etc. Being upset about it won’t fix it. Learn to settle for less or start climbing the ladder. Hate to say it, but that’s just reality.
Sucks but it's true. I used to fly - my father has for 50 years. It's not an affordable hobby anymore - not even close. The others are also true.

Nvidia is still out there promoting their service GeforceNow or whatever. They pay streamers to show it off fairly often.
Doesn't mean the service is going to succeed.
The reality is that Nvidia is going to have to drop prices, not consumers accepting the new higher prices. No amount of affirmative action is going to make people able to afford their new GPU's. The fact that the GTX 1060 was the #1 GPU on Steam up until recently with it being displaced by not a RTX but another GTX based 1650, shows that Nvidia is grasping straws at this point. Nobody has to do anything. Nvidia went from $5 a share in 2015 to $330 a share in 2021, which is a lot more profit for Nvidia then selling GPU's to gamers. Jensen Huang who has 1.3 million Nvidia shares has increased his share value 66 times from 2015, to what is currently around 33 times. Right now Nvidia is far more concerned about their shareholders than their customers. No customer has been happy since 2016, and now you think people are going to start making more money to afford GPU's so that shareholders don't get screwed? The only saving grace for Nvidia is that AMD just mimics their stupidity, but slightly cheaper. If AMD's new cheaper Ryzen 7000 non X CPU's are anything to go by, we might start seeing affordable GPU's from AMD soon.

Yeah you bottom feeder peasants need to just learn your place, you had a good job but now you're lower class.

Back