NVIDIA's Made to Game Event Live

Android set-top box. Damn you buff and tan Nvidia CEO!

Gave a Shield to my kids. Both are big gamers. They do not use it for gaming. They watch movies on it.

Most of what I watched was about their Streaming service called Grid. I'm watching them say 150ms of latency. LOL! Doesn't that mean that they're competing with Valve's Steam service now?

Nvidia you going to get it now. DIE CLOUD GAMING!

150ms latency is low latency now.

For cloud gaming it is. And not every game is a twitch shooter where every ms matters.

Its still an interesting business model and certainly the closest anyone's come to a realized cloud gaming sy

I would've preferred Nvidia going balls to wall and smashing Microsoft & Sony with a more powerful local-GPU console.

For cloud gaming it is. And not every game is a twitch shooter where every ms matters.

Its still an interesting business model and certainly the closest anyone's come to a realized cloud gaming sy

That 150ms does not include the games own latency as well. Plus the monitor as well and the latency is going to be noticeable. But if you're hoping for people to excuse 150ms when they start dying good luck. DAMN LAG! Time to play the game local on my machine.

That 150ms does not include the games own latency as well. Plus the monitor as well and the latency is going to be noticeable. But if you're hoping for people to excuse 150ms when they start dying good luck.

Heh, not hoping, doesn't matter to me, wouldn't buy it. Was just saying its the best anyone's been able to do for cloud gaming. Cloud is one of my more despised magical marketing buzzwords. But I can look outside of my personal hierarchy of needs and believe it might appeal to some people at a $199 pricepoint.

Like I said, I would've preferred them turning the traditional console model on its head with perhaps some sort of easily upgradable or modular console.

Well, very cool, but I already have an HTPC with a 650 GPU, and a 3d TV. 3d Games work fine, thanks Nivdia, and shadowplay works great to my main 980GTX PC.

They didn't say if grid supports 3D TVs though.

For $199 undercuts all consoles and with GRID games, delivers what even today's consoles can't. I'll bet they sell a ton of them.

Companies need to stop with trying to develop these Android gaming boxes. Waste of R&D.

For $199 undercuts all consoles and with GRID games, delivers what even today's consoles can't. I'll bet they sell a ton of them.

Hard to get a sense of how it will sell or be marketed. I guess I can't picture it on the sides of mountain dew bottles, dorito bags and happy meals like the latest Xboxen marketed to CoD kids.

I think if they could get it down to maybe $99 it might have a chance with the casual crowd. But the sub fee will turn off anyone that already has a decent PC/console and the 150MS latency (under Ideal conditions I wager) will turn off any serious competitive gamers.

With the average american having slow broadband that's capped, this thing really won't get anywhere in the US. It might sell in S. Korea where they have super fast connections..who knows. Then again everyone in Korea goes to gaming cafes so I don't really see who NVIDIA is marketing this thing to. If they had it built into pre-made TVs then it would do ok but not as a standalone.

Did they really just show off a cloud service by showing pretty graphics instead of real-time latency? I should have just fucking kept watching House of Cards.

The target audience for this will just be PC gamers who want to stream games from their PC to their living room TVs. Having a Shield tablet, I can say that part of it does work great as advertised with Steam Big Picture mode.

As far as streaming from their cloud service and expecting a quality experience, that's just a laughable pipe-dream. I also can't see anyone using this as an alternative for console gaming.

Also all that BS about 5 years in the making....this is hardly groundbreaking at this point, even for them since they've had two attempts at this already with the Shield portable and Shield tablet.

The target audience for this will just be PC gamers who want to stream games from their PC to their living room TVs.

I already do this with my shield home streaming service. I grab my light weight Sony notebook, connect it via HDMI to my TV and steam takes care of the rest. Why would I even need NVIDIA's new toy for this? If I want to play mobile games, I have my iPhone 6+.

As far as streaming from their cloud service and expecting a quality experience, that's just a laughable pipe-dream. I also can't see anyone using this as an alternative for console gaming.

Yep, I guess NVIDIA hasn't realized most Americans have really piss poor broadband and I think almost all of us have strict bandwidth caps. I'm paying $100+ a month for Cox internet (their fastest package) and I still only get 400 GB/month allotted to me.

*Damn it, no edit: Meant "I already do this with my STEAM home streaming service". Been a long day.

The Nvidia CEO is on the Twitch channel fucking HAMMERED. I mean he's slurring his words and attempting to salvage this horrible convention.

I don't even know what to say, he was wasted on camera AND just said that it was easier going to the moon than building the shield. This guy is a nut.

For those of you that missed NVIDIA's Made to Game Event, we've compiled a few of the highlights of the event for you along with some screenshots and video.

The big announcement of today's event was the company's new SHIELD set-top-box which the NVIDIA described as the "world's first 4K Android TV console." The Tegra X1 powered device supports 4K video playback at 60 Hz. There is also 7.1 surround sound support, Gigabit ethernet, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, bluetooth, and an IR receiver. You can also use the microSD card slot to expand the 16GB of internal storage. The SHIELD will retail for $199 and comes with a controller that is capable of running up to forty hours on a single charge.

For gamers, NVIDIA’s CEO Jen-Hsun Huang says there will be more than fifty titles at launch on its GRID game streaming service and over one hundred titles by the end of the year. Jen-Hsun went on to say that the device is capable of playing games over NVIDIA's GRID game streaming platform at 1080p resolution and 60fps...but there is a catch. Much like Microsoft's Xbox Live service, the GRID game streaming service will come in two flavors. The basic GRID service allows you to stream games at a 720p definition at 30 frames per second while GRID Plus offers games at up to 1080p and 60 frames per second.

The SHIELD set-top-box and GRID game streaming service will be available in May.

*EDIT* The video has been removed by YouTube. We'll have to wait until either NVIDIA or Twitch post a rebroadcast of the event.

Well...the whole 'getting a Steam key with the game' thing is something, but...WTF, nVidia?

Who got high enough to decide that ANY level of competition with Steam is going to go in your favor??

At this point, if you really want to be relevant in some other channel than 'pretty badass high-end GPU manufacturer' (which, sadly, is quickly falling out of anyone's interest as integrated GPUs are becoming so capable), what you need to do is partner with someone (like, say, Valve) rather than trying to cut a new slice of a market that really isn't that dividable.

Hmmm the 4K video support is cool, but 4K is retarded for any typical home display. Put another way: go to a movie. See that "Sony Digital Cinema 4k" banner? Looks good on that 50' screen? Think your 50" will benefit? LOL. No. GTFO.

DolbyVision/HDR is the next video thing that people will actually notice. Too bad the standards around HDR is a total clusterfuck right now.

As to this new console...game consoles have razor thin margins. Not sure what nvidia is thinking here.

Hey guys dont fall for this shield gaming blah blah instead of 4k streaming it will be 3.5k streaming.

I will pass
until the guinea pigs play with it

I'm impressed they are porting a lot of games for native android. This would be fun to pick up for retro games too, they have a gamecube app that was prototyped on the shield tablet running almost flawlessly with this it should run almost as good as a $300-$400 pc.

Does the $200 price actually bring a gaming controller or just the media remote?

I'm impressed they are porting a lot of games for native android. This would be fun to pick up for retro games too, they have a gamecube app that was prototyped on the shield tablet running almost flawlessly with this it should run almost as good as a $300-$400 pc.

Does the $200 price actually bring a gaming controller or just the media remote?

This nvidia game console is really not that great

just build a 150.00 anniversary edition intel and mobo some 4gb ram
and play dolphin and any emulator with windows 8.1

they need to release a bad ass shield device that comes with a controller and is portable that is more powerful than a super computer made 10 years ago not 15

This nvidia device will be obsolete in 2-3 months after its released. Better off going with a PS4 for a gaming /console.

Hmph. Not interested then! I was still hoping for a X1 equipped Shield tablet. But I guess that'll have to wait until this fall or something.

Back