Nvidia's best card out there today

Krypto

Gawd
Which model is it? Part number would be nice also, and what is the second best if the best card would break me :D

You want the 6800Ultra. I got the 6800GT and then overclocked it to Ultra speeds(saved about 200 bucks!)

0. 6800 Ultra (x2) SLi :D
1. 6800 Ultra
2. 6800 GT (OC'able to Ultra or near Ultra speeds)

I believe that there is one person on this planet that owns the Ultra Extreme and everyone else who claims to know someone who has the Ultra Extreme is referring to that same person.

kbong said:
I believe that there is one person on this planet that owns the Ultra Extreme and everyone else who claims to know someone who has the Ultra Extreme is referring to that same person.

well, i don't know that one person, and i don't have one but i have heard of their existance

The best thing you could do, though almost impossible, is get two dual core 6800 from I believe Gigabyte. Throw those in SLI and watch the fun. (it has been reported, I think, that dual core gfx cards will run in SLI)

1) there are no dual-core 6800 videocards in existance (yet)
2) you cannot sli the gygabyte dual core card (based on 6600gt btw)
3) rumors about SLI'ing the Asus dual core videocard which has a slightly different design from gygabytes (same 6600gts) and has some mysterious connector. Nothing is firm at the moment :D

kbong said:
0. 6800 Ultra (x2) SLi :D
1. 6800 Ultra
2. 6800 GT (OC'able to Ultra or near Ultra speeds)

Well, u should also fit in 6800gt SLI and 6600gt sli somewhere in there :D

Not going SLI yet, heard to many horror stories. So, I guess the card I am looking at is the 6800ultra. Next inline would the 6800gt, how hard is it o/c that to the ultra's speeds? Will it be ok with stock cooling?

Krypto said:
Which model is it? Part number would be nice also, and what is the second best if the best card would break me :D

6800 Ultra / 6800GT

GTs usually OC to Ultra speeds or near-Ultra speeds with no problem on stock cooling

Note that not ALL 6800gts can oc to ultra level, many users report more moderate oc's (even with BFG 6800gts)

kbong said:

I am one of the priveledged(sp?) few. Not, one that knows someone; I own one. ;)

k1pp3r said:
what about the 6800 ultra extreme!!!!

I have a BFG Ultra OC (425/1100) OC'd to 450/1175. Not sure what the Ultra Extreme clock is, but this is artifact-free at this speed, stock cooling.

Ultra Extreme is the theoretical high end, but the Ultra regular is what most of us can find (or afford).

if people really want bragging rights they'd get the Sun Microsystems 8-way SPARC processor visualization server and slap 4 of the 1GB, 23,000-dollar Sun 4000 graphics cards in it. That would shut the SLi and Ultra Extreme bragger people up wouldn't it?

The absolute max for Nvidia right now only has 1GB of DDR3 total on it, and its on two cards in SLi, which will run you about 2,400 dollars for the cards plus 250 for the motherboard to support it, not to mention a better PSU unless you've got a good quality brand 550W+ PSU.

You all are WRONG

The Riva TNT is the best Nvidia Card. ;) :p

Anywho,
The entire 6800 series. Since its there newest series...and they are their best. Funny how that works. :p

Actually, the fastest stock 6800 series card that I know of is the BFG 6800 Ultra OC Watercooled, which has a stock core frequency of 470 MHz and comes with a pre-installed waterblock. There are a bunch of them at Fry's down the road for like $600. Ultra Extreme only goes to 450 MHz, is harder to find and usually costs more to boot.

Monarch has the 6800 Ultra Extreme AGP for almost $200 over MSRP. So, they can be bought.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=190169

The MSRP is normally $549. I bought a couple of these cards from Monarch in November for $599 each when they were charging $549 for a regular Ultra. With air, stock BIOS, they go to around 460 or so on the clock. I sold one, but the other does 480/1280 all day with watercooling. Volt modded (100k ohm variable resistor), it has done 515/1320 through some benchmarks.

The one caveat with the BFG Ultra OC water is that the memory gets hot. That is why they left it at 1100 on the memory clock. They just mount simple aluminum heatsinks on the memory. The DangerDen, Innovatek, or newer Koolance 6800 cooler all cool the memory. And, the Innovatek takes care of the power rail as well.

So, the list, order, according to stock clocks and benchmarkable results:

6800 UEE SLI - PCI-E - evga gave away a "matched pair" of these already
6800 U SLI - PCI-E - as of tomorrow ;)
6800 GT SLI - PCI-E
6800 UEE - AGP or PCI-E
6800 U - AGP or PCI-E
6600 GT SLI - PCI-E
6800 GT - AGP or PCI-E
6600 SLI - PCI-E
6800 - AGP or PCI-E
6600 GT - PCI-E
6600 - PCI-E

Ballz2TheWallz said:

umm good luck running an agp card in sli...

But to piggy back almost every other person in this thread, the fastest single card is the Ultra Extreme (which is what Ballz has a link to) and the fastest dual card would probably be two ultra's in SLI

although under features Evga does have listed SLI, but i tihnk most people should know that SLI does not work on an AGP bus which is what the aforemetioned card uses.

Clownboat said:
I would get the 6900, because 69 is twice as fine.
lol

Whats the difference between the Quadros and the 6-series GPU (other than the fact they can have 512 ram and cost like a grillion more dollars)?

the quadro series is designed for professional graphics, such as rendering. they sport special options that increase performance for dedicated workstations doing video editing, high-end graphics work (such as making the models in those magazines look even better than they do in real life :rolleyes: ) and cgi rendering (such as the final fantasy movie and the stuff you see at startrekaustralia.com)

the 6-series stuff is optimized for hardcore gaming and has features designed to blow your face off your head when you're playing doom 3 or other, similar games.

you will get far better performance doing gaming with a 6-series card than you will with a quadro; conversely, you will get wonderful performance with a quadro when editing that video of grandma losing her false teeth during thanksgiving dinner.

if you're doing professional stuff tho... i recommend 3dlabs. their realizm line is so powerful it's scary :eek:

starhawk said:
the quadro series is designed for professional graphics, such as rendering. they sport special options that increase performance for dedicated workstations doing video editing, high-end graphics work (such as making the models in those magazines look even better than they do in real life :rolleyes: ) and cgi rendering (such as the final fantasy movie and the stuff you see at startrekaustralia.com)

the 6-series stuff is optimized for hardcore gaming and has features designed to blow your face off your head when you're playing doom 3 or other, similar games.

you will get far better performance doing gaming with a 6-series card than you will with a quadro; conversely, you will get wonderful performance with a quadro when editing that video of grandma losing her false teeth during thanksgiving dinner.

if you're doing professional stuff tho... i recommend 3dlabs. their realizm line is so powerful it's scary :eek:

Not quite. This is somewhat of a missconception. For example a Quadro 3400 is just as fast as a 6800GT. When clocked the same, and thier default clocks from most manufactuers is the same, they will 3D Mark the same and get the same game performance. The fact that they have additional optimizations takes nothing away from general game performance.

I have about 140 some odd Quadro's at my work and I have 3d Marked them as well as played games on several of the machines extensively. I know personally that this is true. You do get better 3d performance in professional apps however with the Quadro's. The Quadro's do not have any weakenesses that the higher end Wildcatt cards have.

But then again they don't perform like a 3D Labs card either in professional apps. But they don't cost as much either.

I have heard that the Quadro's don't OC that well, but also keep mind that some Quadro 3400's have made it out to the market as 6800GT's. A BIOS flash is all that is needed to return the card to it's Quadro capabilities. There was recently a thread on the [H]ard|Forum about this.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I have heard that the Quadro's don't OC that well, but also keep mind that some Quadro 3400's have made it out to the market as 6800GT's. A BIOS flash is all that is needed to return the card to it's Quadro capabilities. There was recently a thread on the [H]ard|Forum about this.

You mean some people with 6800 GTs may actually have a quadro on their hands? Can we get a link to the thread please, this sounds interesting.

Yeah, what frag a lot said is true, and the CPU is used for editing video, not vector processing in a graphics board.

Back