Nvidia’s ARM acquisition is stalled

It looks like your strong nVidia bias is showing.

Gsync is a proprietary implementation of an open standard. Freesync is an open implementation of that standard. Gsync also made monitors in the range of $100-$300 more expensive for practically no reason and more importantly locked you into using nVidia hardware only if you wanted to make use of VRR with the monitor. There are very good reasons Gsync died.

Physx was a company nVidia bought and made it exclusive to nVidia hardware even going so far as to disable any use of Physx in a system with a non-nVidia card in it. The only reason it was "opened up" is because companies refused to use it unless nVidia paid them a lot to use it. It came to the point where no one was using it and finally nVidia opened it up.

RTX is not open. It's the nVidia path to use raytracing built into DX. VKRay is likely the same thing but not something I have bothered to look at.

Your attempt to put the GPP is some sort of positive light is amusing. Anyone following the GPP coverage on the main site when it was still up knows everything you're trying to put forth is wrong. nVidia was trying to take over branding and lines that companies had built up over years for their own. There was even more in there which was even worse that wasn't even reported on. In case you didn't know the GPP was literally found to be illegal and thrown out.

Do better research and bring some facts to the table before putting up an argument because you haven't done so yet.
Pot, meet kettle.

It looks like your strong nVidia bias is showing.

Gsync is a proprietary implementation of an open standard. Freesync is an open implementation of that standard. Gsync also made monitors in the range of $100-$300 more expensive for practically no reason and more importantly locked you into using nVidia hardware only if you wanted to make use of VRR with the monitor. There are very good reasons Gsync died.

Physx was a company nVidia bought and made it exclusive to nVidia hardware even going so far as to disable any use of Physx in a system with a non-nVidia card in it. The only reason it was "opened up" is because companies refused to use it unless nVidia paid them a lot to use it. It came to the point where no one was using it and finally nVidia opened it up.

RTX is not open. It's the nVidia path to use raytracing built into DX. VKRay is likely the same thing but not something I have bothered to look at.

Your attempt to put the GPP is some sort of positive light is amusing. Anyone following the GPP coverage on the main site when it was still up knows everything you're trying to put forth is wrong. nVidia was trying to take over branding and lines that companies had built up over years for their own. There was even more in there which was even worse that wasn't even reported on. In case you didn't know the GPP was literally found to be illegal and thrown out.

Do better research and bring some facts to the table before putting up an argument because you haven't done so yet.
GSync was a proprietary implementation of an optional spec in the VESA certification that didn’t work well at the time and was mostly designed for compatibility with older cathode tech. GSync actually did a really good job of upping the bar in terms of quality and performance to where it is now more a certification standard and the price gap between comparable GSync and FreeSync monitors are about the same. VESA’s Active Sync and Free Sync are not the same thing and they exist separate in the standard.

Physix NVidia did the industry dirty, they should have opened it up. It was really good and they killed it and that’s a shame.

RTX is technically open, it is a part of the DX12U standard so any parts compatible with DX12U are RTX compatible. NVidia and Microsoft worked together to design and implement the specifications and if AMD had hardware capable at the time they would likely have gotten in on that conversation too. But AMD isn’t exactly known for their helpful attitude implementing their tech into 3’rd parties where NVidia is famous for being overly helpful at implementing theirs. But that’s a budget thing, NVidia has the cash and market share to send out developers free of charge to get their stuff in place.

GPP was dog shit and NVidia deserves to be dragged for it until somebody up at NVidia in a decision making position gets canned for it.

Last edited:
Well G-Sync proved VRR worked. You sometimes do need proprietary experimentation, but the standards should follow.

AMD took the right approach, and created an open technology (for display manufacturers to implement) and then later worked with VESA to make it a real standard.

PhysX was a huge misstep by Nvidia. I can't imagine where were would be with physics in games if things went differently. If anything, game physics are worse today than they were 10 years ago.

Well G-Sync proved VRR worked. You sometimes do need proprietary experimentation, but the standards should follow.

AMD took the right approach, and created an open technology (for display manufacturers to implement) and then later worked with VESA to make it a real standard.

PhysX was a huge misstep by Nvidia. I can't imagine where were would be with physics in games if things went differently. If anything, game physics are worse today than they were 10 years ago.

I don't think PhysX was the problem, it's just that the industry as a whole doesn't seem to care much. I haven't heard anyone bragging about doing good physics in a while outside of Nvidia. It feels like devs these days take what they can get bundled with their favorite game engine and roll with it.

Plus, I think game physics are at a point of being "good enough" and unless you come up with actual game mechanics based on physics it's unlikely to change the current status-quo.

china already stole arm when they had the chinese branch of arm go rogue
The next few years are going to be rough for ARM, SoftBank will offer it up as an IPO, get their money back and walk away. The cash infusion will prop up ARM for a while but they are going to have to restructure to become profitable, they will raise rates for sure, which will push many cheaper manufacturers to switch to ARM China. I don’t see how this is going to work out for ARM as a whole it has many years of mis management to make up for.

The next few years are going to be rough for ARM, SoftBank will offer it up as an IPO, get their money back and walk away. The cash infusion will prop up ARM for a while but they are going to have to restructure to become profitable, they will raise rates for sure, which will push many cheaper manufacturers to switch to ARM China. I don’t see how this is going to work out for ARM as a whole it has many years of mis management to make up for.
Not to mention they'll probably be facing an increasing RISC-V challenge with intel becoming a Premier member and having one of their VP of IFS joining the RISC-V Board of directors.

Not to mention they'll probably be facing an increasing RISC-V challenge with intel becoming a Premier member and having one of their VP of IFS joining the RISC-V Board of directors.
Maybe??? RISC-V has some great strengths but right now general computing isn't really one of them, as IO controllers it is untouchable; storage, memory, networking, all of them have custom RISC-V controllers on them to handle the interfacing because it is ultra-low power and essentially real-time while consuming almost no PCB real estate. It's getting to the point where if you wanted to run a microcontroller on a sensor or a valve or a lighting array it would be a better choice than a cheap ARM chip, but it's a LONG way away from being something we are going to see in cellphones and the likes. But certainly, with ARM's future being so uncertain I would not at all be surprised if all the major players had some teams dedicated to its development. But with more people working on them and sharing their work, it could potentially advance beyond what it currently is very quickly, ARM is pretty stagnant and has been for a long while so it could be a pretty interesting race.

It’s dead Jim.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220207006011/en/NVIDIA-and-SoftBank-Group-Announce-Termination-of-NVIDIA’s-Acquisition-of-Arm-Limited
Can't say I'm surprised. NVIDIA could make all the promises and concessions it wanted, but at the end of the day it was going to own the company that dictated the basic architecture of many mobile devices (and IoT, and increasingly computers). It would have been difficult to prevent NVIDIA from pressuring the ARM team to favor in-house chips over those of competitors, even if Jen-Hsun did little more than cough suggestively during a strategy meeting.

I just hope ARM can survive well without some big new benefactor.

Can't say I'm surprised. NVIDIA could make all the promises and concessions it wanted, but at the end of the day it was going to own the company that dictated the basic architecture of many mobile devices (and IoT, and increasingly computers). It would have been difficult to prevent NVIDIA from pressuring the ARM team to favor in-house chips over those of competitors, even if Jen-Hsun did little more than cough suggestively during a strategy meeting.

I just hope ARM can survive well without some big new benefactor.
It's an instruction set... all this 'favor' could have possibly done, would have been to add new instructions. I can't see how that would hurt anyone or any competitor. ARM already supports adding custom instructions. Any vendor can create and add custom instructions, including nvidia.

tin-foil hat is strong in this thread

Well see how this goes based on ARM’s financial data it’s being estimated that they are only worth around $20B nowhere near the $40B NVidia was going to pay, and because the difference in stocks SoftBank was actually going to make something closer to $80B if the deal had closed.

Well see what the new CEO and Board decide to do but I’m suspecting a change in licensing fees and figuring out some way to deal with ARM China who basically stole their second biggest market.

It's an instruction set... all this 'favor' could have possibly done, would have been to add new instructions. I can't see how that would hurt anyone or any competitor. ARM already supports adding custom instructions. Any vendor can create and add custom instructions, including nvidia.

tin-foil hat is strong in this thread
There's an "apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" problem with that claim... that is, the problem you're downplaying is actually rather important.

Realistically, NVIDIA would probably have played it straight. But NVIDIA could have pushed ARM to focus on instructions that served its own goals, in some cases at the expense of the industry at large. Sure, companies like Apple and Qualcomm would have added custom instructions to cover these gaps, but they'd have risked either being one step behind or having to simply follow NVIDIA's lead. Even if that never happened, it's reassuring to know a truly neutral ARM won't try to subtly influence the market in favor of a parent company.

There's an "apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" problem with that claim... that is, the problem you're downplaying is actually rather important.

Realistically, NVIDIA would probably have played it straight. But NVIDIA could have pushed ARM to focus on instructions that served its own goals, in some cases at the expense of the industry at large. Sure, companies like Apple and Qualcomm would have added custom instructions to cover these gaps, but they'd have risked either being one step behind or having to simply follow NVIDIA's lead. Even if that never happened, it's reassuring to know a truly neutral ARM won't try to subtly influence the market in favor of a parent company.
We'll see how it plays out, I'm not sure NVidia could or would have done anything too drastic just because it would only work against them in both the short and long term, replace Mali certainly, work to get their own GPU encoders baked into the default certainly, that would get their proprietary tech as the default option in the most abundant CPU architecture there currently is. It would have been the market share grab to end all market share grabs. It would have given them an inherent dominance cut their costs and resulted in a better consumer product, it would have squashed AMD's partnership with Samsung and put them in a position to unthrone AMD as the goto choice for console platforms so yeah it would have also stifled innovation with the exception of Apple and possibly Amazon.

Long story short it would have upset the balance too much, not that this IPO offering will be any better, ARM Holdings is going to get a huge shakeup and there is likely going to be a mad dash to scoop up some of their key talents in the confusion, ARM isn't going anywhere but I wonder how this will effect them for the next 2-3 years.

We'll see how it plays out, I'm not sure NVidia could or would have done anything too drastic just because it would only work against them in both the short and long term, replace Mali certainly, work to get their own GPU encoders baked into the default certainly, that would get their proprietary tech as the default option in the most abundant CPU architecture there currently is. It would have been the market share grab to end all market share grabs. It would have given them an inherent dominance cut their costs and resulted in a better consumer product, it would have squashed AMD's partnership with Samsung and put them in a position to unthrone AMD as the goto choice for console platforms so yeah it would have also stifled innovation with the exception of Apple and possibly Amazon.

Long story short it would have upset the balance too much, not that this IPO offering will be any better, ARM Holdings is going to get a huge shakeup and there is likely going to be a mad dash to scoop up some of their key talents in the confusion, ARM isn't going anywhere but I wonder how this will effect them for the next 2-3 years.
I mean, companies using ARM designs could choose NOT to use nvidia's graphics solution, the only issue being how costly that decision is. They already use other graphics besides ARM's reference design.

I mean, companies using ARM designs could choose NOT to use nvidia's graphics solution, the only issue being how costly that decision is. They already use other graphics besides ARM's reference design.
Yeah but that's generally because Mali is less than great and they need something it lacks, like features or performance. If they were to cook in some of NVidia's newer ARM-focused graphics solutions and keep the pricing the same as it was for the Mali-based ones then the number of reasons to want to change them out then boils down to "we don't want an Nvidia GPU" which is a somewhat tenuous stance given you are then fine with using an NVidia CPU and would then end up paying more for what is generally an inferior performing product. Apple would still do apple as their CPU and GPU solutions are so heavily customized that it wouldn't be feasible for them to change but for everybody else, the idea of transitioning to either an AMD or Imagination GPU would just be an expense they wouldn't likely need.

I am a bit bit bummed. I get the Nvidia hate, but in this case I think they would have done well. They have a good understanding of ARM, the knowledge to keep it advancing, and the resources to correct years of poor management. ARM could certainly do (and now likely will do) much worse.

At the end of the day I just want ARM gaming laptops in ultrabook form factor with 20+ hours of battery life. Nvidia at the helm seemed like my best chance of getting that :ROFLMAO:. I'm sure they will keep pushing ARM, but probably not at the rate they would have if they just dumped 40billion on it.

A significant portion of the forum user base has a bias and hate against nvidia, it precludes any objective analysis.

That means most of the comments are sus, not based in fact but on emotion.

As far as ARM goes, overpaying for it doesn't make any sense if the first thing you do after acquisition is alienate your user/customer base. This acquisition would enhance nvidia's datacenter offerings, and keeping that open and growing in installbase is the best course of action.

The dire claims made in the thread could be substantiated, if you can convince me that nvidia is willing to throw away 40 to 80 billion dollars just to achieve (whatever dire prediction you prefer). That's lunacy.

nVidia bought Mellanox a few years ago, same datacenter market. Where are all of the complaining Mellanox customers?

But go on thread with your brilliant self.

A significant portion of the forum user base has a bias and hate against nvidia, it precludes any objective analysis.

As far as ARM goes, overpaying for it doesn't make any sense if the first thing you do after acquisition is alienate your user/customer base. This acquisition would enhance nvidia's datacenter offerings, and keeping that open and growing in installbase is the best course of action.

The dire claims made in the thread could be substantiated, if you can convince me that nvidia is willing to throw away 40 to 80 billion dollars just to achieve (whatever dire prediction you prefer). That's lunacy.

nVidia bought Mellanox a few years ago, same datacenter market. Where are all of the complaining Mellanox customers?

Because Mellanox and ARM are anywhere near the same ballpark in terms of userbase? That's at best an apples to oranges comparison. Overpaying for ARM is because of the huge userbase. They would have controlled the architecture behind the bulk of cheap computing devices sold in the world. Nothing is preventing Nvidia from pulling an Apple and designing whatever they want. The only advantage to acquiring ARM would be to make more money off licensees, etc.

You can claim bias, etc. against Nvidia, but that's the pot calling the kettle black as you are one of the most Pro-Nvidia users on the forum historically. You can go sulk in your leather jacket if you don't agree. I think most people here don't care which large multi-national corporation doesn't buy it. It just happens to be Nvidia tried and failed.

Last edited:
They could now of course buy a big chunk of the IPO and push them to legitimize ARM China.
Arm China is legit and separate that cat is out of the bag and nobody is rounding that up. Their already selling their own brand of chips and they have developed a new line of processors to match. It’s expected that in the next 3 years they will dominate the Chinese market which was ARM’s second biggest revenue source.

SoftBank gave away the seal and 51% of the company only thing ARM holdings can do is work in international courts to block international sales but that’s a fruitless battle as ARM China is more than happy to stay within China with possible expansion room into Africa.

I’m thinking with all going on an initial IPO evaluation of $20B would be generous, probably closer to $14B based on their financials if you assume they’ve lost China going forward.

I’m looking forward to the next 5 years of ARM it’s going to be a rollercoaster.

It's not an anti-NVIDIA bias here; I'd typically point people to RTX GPUs if they're looking for gaming graphics. It's just a simple question of competitiveness: give a chip designer control of the architectures behind virtually every mobile device, and there will be concerns that designer won't play fair.

It's not an anti-NVIDIA bias here; I'd typically point people to RTX GPUs if they're looking for gaming graphics. It's just a simple question of competitiveness: give a chip designer control of the architectures behind virtually every mobile device, and there will be concerns that designer won't play fair.

And it is not like Nvidia hasn't already been caught playing unfairly (GPP anyone?).

And it is not like Nvidia hasn't already been caught playing unfairly (GPP anyone?).
That’s a little different, their marketing department being massive dick bags at a consumer level isn’t anything new. But their engineering and licensing departments have always been fairly on point.

That’s a little different, their marketing department being massive dick bags at a consumer level isn’t anything new. But their engineering and licensing departments have always been fairly on point.

True, but I'm sure the marketing department doesn't get authority to make those kind of demands from their partners unless it was coming from the top.

No doubt the engineers are legitimately trying to make the best products they can.

True, but I'm sure the marketing department doesn't get authority to make those kind of demands from their partners unless it was coming from the top.

No doubt the engineers are legitimately trying to make the best products they can.
Their marketing director is a piece of work for sure, but yeah. NVidia wouldn’t drop that kind of cash with out a plan to get more of their stuff in more peoples hands so tablets, phones, handhelds, servers, and more networking equipment. The only people it would potentially bone over would be AMD and Intel, AMD’s efforts in their ARM GPU’s would be squashed, and Intel would face serious pressure in the low power edge node hardware that Intel is pretty dominant in. They sell a crapload of Atom chips for storage boxes and networking boxes.
Then NVidia’s GPU tech becomes the most dominant platform there is over 4 years as people refresh their tablets and cellphones.
Next thing you know they have their own Android store for games tied into the shield platform.

Over 5 years time they would have eaten quite significantly into both AMD and Intels low power market sales.

As consumers we likely wouldn’t have noticed many changes at all, but many of the big players would have been disrupted.

Now what’s going to happen is Intel, AMD, NVidia, Apple, and Amazon are going to get as many shares as they safely can with out raising too many red flags so they can sit on a board together. That would be one hell of a meeting to sit in on.

Last edited:
Now what’s going to happen is Intel, AMD, NVidia, Apple, and Amazon are going to get as many shares as they safely can with out raising too many red flags so they can sit on a board together. That would be one hell of a meeting to sit in on.
This has already happened:

Biden_Debt_2.jpg

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Corporations
In the world of Cyberpunk, corporations are one of the most prominent entities in everyday life. Much like the real world corporations of the 21st century, they are worldwide conglomerates, that operate 24/7, buying, selling or providing services to many around the world. Corporations, and those within them, aim to get ahead by any means necessary. "Cutthroat" business culture is no longer a metaphor, as blackmail, extortion, bribery, kidnapping, espionage, and assassination have all become commonplace in the white-collar world. Small corporations typically act above the law, whereas really successful corporations are the Law.
It was a lot more fun when this was fictional... :borg:

Watch Nvidia gets into a partnership with MediaTek or even outright buy them. I think Nvidia really wants in on the CPU market.

They are already cooperating with MediaTek on the chromebooks and bringing RTX onto ARM during 2021. I think Nvidia knew the deal is off since the start of 2021, so they're pushing towards MediaTek now.

I don't think FTC can block them if they buy MediaTek, right?

Watch Nvidia gets into a partnership with MediaTek or even outright buy them. I think Nvidia really wants in on the CPU market.

They are already cooperating with MediaTek on the chromebooks and bringing RTX onto ARM during 2021. I think Nvidia knew the deal is off since the start of 2021, so they're pushing towards MediaTek now.

I don't think FTC can block them if they buy MediaTek, right?
MediaTek is actually worth something like $68B that would be a tall order for NVidia and China wouldn’t be too happy about that deal.

MediaTek is actually worth something like $68B that would be a tall order for NVidia and China wouldn’t be too happy about that deal.

I have a nagging feeling that this is the final nail in the coffin for ARM. Nvidia will switch over to MediaTek, Apple, Google and Samsung might as well develop their own architecture at this point, Xiaomi and the other Chinese mobile makers will just go to MediaTek for good.

I hope it's not the case, but all signs point to a sinking ship with ARM, especially since they can't really sell as there's precedent to break up a M&A with pretty much any big tech company.

I hope it's not the case, but all signs point to a sinking ship with ARM SoftBank, especially since they can't really sell as there's precedent to break up a M&A with pretty much any big tech company.
FTFY
ARM isn't going anywhere, and is very much on the rise in nearly every technology market segment.

SoftBank, however, is the sinking ship that is now totally reliant on an IPO just to slow the descent.
For as popular as the ARM ISA is, SoftBank must be a hideously mismanaged company, and the fact that many of the upper echelons are being replaced is very telling.

Also, there are quite a few ARM product segments that do not exist with mobile devices, nor of which are they paired with iGPUs of any kind.
ARM has a lot of potential, and is going to eventually overcome x86-64, though it might not be as soon as many of us were expecting due to this outcome.

FTFY
ARM isn't going anywhere, and is very much on the rise in nearly every technology market segment.

SoftBank, however, is the sinking ship that is now totally reliant on an IPO just to slow the descent.
For as popular as the ARM ISA is, SoftBank must be a hideously mismanaged company, and the fact that many of the upper echelons are being replaced is very telling.

Also, there are quite a few ARM product segments that do not exist with mobile devices, nor of which are they paired with iGPUs of any kind.
ARM has a lot of potential, and is going to eventually overcome x86-64, though it might not be as soon as many of us were expecting due to this outcome.
A smidge harsh but not wrong, ARM will get new management and a new Direction it’s too useful to die.

SoftBank is a mess, heads are going to figuratively roll there. They are proof nepotism doesn’t always work.

ARM will get a new lease on life out of this but I’m not sure about it fully replacing x86 but certainly coexisting.

I have a nagging feeling that this is the final nail in the coffin for ARM. Nvidia will switch over to MediaTek, Apple, Google and Samsung might as well develop their own architecture at this point, Xiaomi and the other Chinese mobile makers will just go to MediaTek for good.

I hope it's not the case, but all signs point to a sinking ship with ARM, especially since they can't really sell as there's precedent to break up a M&A with pretty much any big tech company.

MediaTek is a Taiwanese company (last I looked). It's not the same as China using a home grown architecture.

I think developing your own architecture is harder than it looks. All the companies you mentioned are tweaking ARM designs with varying degrees of success and paying licensing fees. Apple, at this point, has the most difference from a stock ARM design, but it still started with ARM. They aren't going to build a completely new architecture anytime soon.

The only advantage to acquiring ARM would be to make more money off licensees, etc.
Agreed. Or gain access to their engineers.. I never saw the point of the investment. Maybe nVidia foresees themselves taking over Datacenters in a big way. If they did, each ARM based part they sold would require a royalty to be paid to ARM. If nVidia owns ARM, they avoid paying the royalty. This may be the real reason.
You can claim bias, etc. against Nvidia, but that's the pot calling the kettle black as you are one of the most Pro-Nvidia users on the forum historically.
The bias is real.

I am "Pro-PC" and most especially Graphics. Your observation is due to the fact that for almost a decade, nVidia has exclusively been at the forefront of innovation in that space, while AMD has repeatedly just copied tech first introduced by nVidia.

I own ATI cards (plural), AMD cpus (plural), but right now run Intel/nVidia and foresee this to stay the case for some time.

You can call this "Pro-Nvidia" all you want. The difference (in the reality) is a lack of "AMD-Hate" on my part when compared to the aformentioned "bias" that is ever present against nVidia by many a forum poster.

You can go sulk in your leather jacket if you don't agree.
I don't own a leather jacket, but nice attempt at being snide.
I think most people here don't care which large multi-national corporation doesn't buy it. It just happens to be Nvidia tried and failed.
I don't care either. If ARM dies, something new will fill it's place. (The same is true if somehow a new owner would have been given an "advantage" and the product became undesireable). The vendors have experience with it, so continuing to use it is in their interest. Going to something new is also entirely doable (see ARM, when new and first introduced).
In other words, the sky isn't falling after all, and never had a chance to regardless of the acquisition or lack thereof.

Nvidia started hiring quite a few high-profile positions for RISC-V development right around the time the ARM deal surfaces, I reckon it's a move to both kickstart their own architecture research and to be able to integrate ARM into their portfolio quickly. Now that the deal died, what's to prevent Nvidia from doing in-house chip design and licensing or selling full SoC solutions with RISC-V based CPUs?

Apple is also dabbling in RISC-V CPU design, Samsung already uses RISC-V for their ISP and 5G radio, presumably for their Exynos line.

It feels like every big player is preparing to jump ship from ARM if Nvidia closes the M&A and decides to be a dick. Now that the deal fell through, it'll be interesting to see whether they'd continue with the ARM licensing or just go fully in-house.

Back