NVIDIA’s Ampere GPU Likely Delayed To Q4 2020, And Its Not Just Because Of Coronavirus

erek

[H]F Junkie
:( :(

"Up next, you have the GA104 GPU which should end up in the RTX 2080 replacement (the RTX 3080?) with 48 SMs (3072 CUDA cores based on old proportion, 6144 new). This is very slightly more than the RTX 2080 at 46 SMs. Coupled with higher performance throughput and the doubled RTX cores you are once again looking at significant performance increases if this turns out to be true. According to the rumor, the RTX 3080 GPU will be coupled with 8GB/16GB of vRAM and a 256-bit bus width.

While I don't know if this rumor has any truth to it (as a gamer, I wish it does), it does make for a very interesting read with a cup of tea. One thing is for sure, the hype for NVIDIA's Ampere GPU is at an all-time high and everything points to the company getting ready to launch those at GTC 2020 this year with Jensen personally inviting the press to attend."

https://wccftech.com/nvidias-ampere...2020-and-its-not-just-because-of-coronavirus/

He has a point that Nvidia would wait for AMD's move

However AMD might release very late because of the Corona situation. I am not sure Nvidia can wait so long, esp if they are fabbing in samsung then their RTX 30XX cards should be available much before AMD RDNA 2 cards fabbed in TSMC

However AMD might release very late because of the Corona situation. I am not sure Nvidia can wait so long, esp if they are fabbing in samsung then their RTX 30XX cards should be available much before AMD RDNA 2 cards fabbed in TSMC
AMD is going to release late because of the AMD situation. Same as always. If they try to blame it on C-19, jail time.

As for Nvidia, I don't think they're losing any sleep deliberating over RTG. They're laps ahead.

Last edited:
He has a point that Nvidia would wait for AMD's move

That's not a point, it's nonsense. If you have product ready first that you can launch, you launch early and maximize your returns, while you have no competition.

Waiting for your competition to lower the price point, forgoes not only the extra sales you could have had first, but also the extra margin you could have commanded while you had no competition.

You think that Nvidia is not going to release their Ampere parts months before the consoles launch?

Ignoring all the technicalities, that would be ideal. As mentioned in other threads, if a ~$500 RTX 2070 gets similar performance to a $500 Xbox then people will probably switch to consoles for a year or so until GPUs are notably better. It happened last gen. Not everyone follows this line of thought but many do. I can easily see mid range gamers skipping a GPU upgrade for a year (well two these days) and get a console if the price/performance ratio isn't great.

Personally a bit disappointed myself, but in general my RTX 2070 does well at my resolution. Just a few games like Metro and Control (with RTX on) bring it to its knees.

I was really looking forward to summer drop for the new Ampere GPU's. So we'll have to wait until fall for both AMD and NVIDIA. If the performance is similar I may go with an RDNA 2 card as long as I can keep using my GSYNC display.

I’m waiting for new gen Zen before I upgrade but ideally I’d wait for both. I still have a 1080Ti that plays well enough still.

although I barely game anymore. At this point I’m wondering why I still upgrade lol.

I’m waiting for new gen Zen before I upgrade but ideally I’d wait for both. I still have a 1080Ti that plays well enough still.

although I barely game anymore. At this point I’m wondering why I still upgrade lol.

I feel yah, I chalk it up to just liking the hobby and having the best tech and power available, but don't game like I used to. Fun to build stuff, grown up legos.

According to a now-removed report from China Times, NVIDIA is planning to release its first GeForce RTX 3000 GPUs in Q3 2020. The theory is fueled by reports claiming that AIBs have already begun clearing inventory of RTX 2000 cards, which would indicate that next-generation SKUs are right around the corner.

from the FPS Review, courtesy of Wccftech:

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/0...eportedly-rushing-to-clear-current-inventory/

My guess is

RTX 3080 ti before sep-2020
RTX 3080 oct-2020 to dec-2020
RTX 3070 jan-2021 to mar-2021
RTX 3060 apr-2021 to jun-2021
RTX 3050 ti ?? before aug-2021

Bad timing for me to break my 2080. Just ordered a 2080 Super. Based on the previous generation, still seems like it will be early 2021 before availability and pricing stabilize. Also based on the previous generation, the card that performs about the same as the 2080 will cost about the same as the 2080. The Turing pricing model was to add to the top of the range, but keep performance per dollar the same.

how much?...that's the important question...hopefully Nvidia doesn't price them like they did with the Turing release...hopefully AMD's upcoming Nvidia killer 5950 XT forces Nvidia to lower prices

how much?...that's the important question...hopefully Nvidia doesn't price them like they did with the Turing release...hopefully AMD's upcoming Nvidia killer 5950 XT forces Nvidia to lower prices

Here is my question tho, lets say upcoming Nvidia and AMD cards are equal. Are you going to reward AMD with your business or Nvidia?

AIBs maybe dumping the 20 series at this time over the outlook that the economy of the world is going to tank for the next 6 months or so and they will be stuck with a whole bunch of non-sellable stock. We will see what Nvidia reveals next month, for sure it will be with professional/data center GPU's. As for gaming that would be nice but the big $ for Nvidia is very high profit margins with low volume compared to gaming cards, products for big corporations. Do AIBs or Nvidia want to spend millions if not billions all combined for a large inventory of next gen gaming GPU's at this time?

Nvidia has 7 of their own products listed with two of them out of stock, looks like production of 20 series has ceased, at least for Nvidia cards with the remaining inventory selling out. The other Nvidia branded cards are no longer listed. That does indicate making room I do believe for Nvidia for next generation. If Nvidia goes ahead and fills up with Ampere branded cards, while AIBs have warehouses full of previous generation of cards, the pressure will be to maintain very high prices for those new cards will be high coming from AIBs. I do see that Nvidia could release the top most performing card first, a.k.a 3080 Ti first since it would not interfere with any previous generation of cards and also they could keep the rather high price ceiling and may even bump it up some. Then again guessing usually falls short. We just have to wait and see.

Here is my question tho, lets say upcoming Nvidia and AMD cards are equal. Are you going to reward AMD with your business or Nvidia?

The one with better aftermarket waterblock support, so most likely Nvidia. Also don't love the AMD partners, for RMA's here in Canada.

Team green all day. Other than the (amazing) 9800 Pro, every single AMD card I've owned has has driver and support issues. That could be as simple as fps dips and quirky refresh rates or as complicated as 50% lower performance than the equivalent Nvidia card. For team red to ever earn my business again they're going to have to kick Nvidia's ass and do it for less money.

I don't see it as one or the other, will most likely end up with both if they are both rather good. If Nvidia price is once again ridiculas compared to AMD, they can just hold onto their cards. DXR will come into more play as well for my decisions but mostly support for 4K+ high refresh rate monitors or TVs. Support for high refresh rate (120hz) VRR LG OLED HDR HDMI 2.1 TVs will also be very important -> For gaming I cannot see a better monitor/TV for gaming. OLED is the way to go for pixel response time, CRT level except burn in considerations issues for a purely monitor type usage.

As for drivers I like much better the feature set AMD provides, the less intrusive nature, don't have to sign in (which seems to forget with GeFarce Now), I think Nvidia drivers are way overrated and even recently have produced problematic ones that had to be fixed quick. While AMD had some more recent serious issues, a lot of us have not been touch that much if at all with them. I game more with the 5700 XT on a monitor since AMD supports the monitor much better, I game more on the 1080 Ti in VR since Nvidia does that better it seems. For both it is the ecosystem that you have that may decide which is better for you and not just the graphics card. I may go with Nvidia next round because it may support the next better monitor I will get or TV even with poorer performance - vice versa. Then again maybe both for the best of both worlds.

This is why I doubt you will see AMD undercut Nvidia much at all. 0 point if it will gain them no market share on the high end.

This is why I doubt you will see AMD undercut Nvidia much at all. 0 point if it will gain them no market share on the high end.
Lisa Sue I believe indicated the goal was 45% profit margin and they are right around that now. If Lisa can hold that standard and not let the investors wanting more and more, 3000%+, then their pricing should remain reasonable if they did a good job on the product. Nvidia high profit margins and investor's expectations, I can see will cause them problems if they don't really deliver. The RTX facade, presentation, show with very poor results afterwards, GPP, hardware failing (not properly tested) looks more to desperation. So Ampere needs to be very good to maintain their Datacenter/AI lead with decent gaming cards. I think AMD has much more leeway with how they do their GPU business. The next gen Consoles is going to be fun to watch how that affects Nvidia over priced cards.

Sounds about right. Nvidia has almost no pressure to release the cards far ahead of AMD’s new GPUs also rumored to release Q4 2020.

I’m also guessing their manufacturing timeline has taken a hit due to the lockdowns so they’ll probably take an extra month or two to delay the release in order to have greater availability of the cards at launch.

Boo, my 1080ti is really suffering these days since I upgraded my monitor.

Team green all day. Other than the (amazing) 9800 Pro, every single AMD card I've owned has has driver and support issues. That could be as simple as fps dips and quirky refresh rates or as complicated as 50% lower performance than the equivalent Nvidia card. For team red to ever earn my business again they're going to have to kick Nvidia's ass and do it for less money.
Same. I gave them several chances by buying a Radeon HD 4850, 5870, and r9 290, all had major issues and were returned. Never again until they are solid for a couple of years and have major advantages.

and then 6 months later sell the super variants
Probably 12-18 months but yea, as the process gets better and the silicon improves why not squeak that extra 10% out of the same chip, call it super and put your product back in the news. Costs absolutely nothing to do and generates saleS.

I bought 4 Tesla’s for work and they tossed in a personal 2080Ti for the cost of shipping so sorta true?
Definitely not an nvidia fan but that's pretty cool. Props to them if true.

I had a good experience with the 7970. That was the only Radeon GPU I've used personally. It was my first graphics card as I haven't been building that long. I'm more than willing to give their new GPU's a chance, but I need to find out if I can continue to use my G SYNC monitor with a AMD video card.

Lisa Sue I believe indicated the goal was 45% profit margin and they are right around that now. If Lisa can hold that standard and not let the investors wanting more and more, 3000%+, then their pricing should remain reasonable if they did a good job on the product. Nvidia high profit margins and investor's expectations, I can see will cause them problems if they don't really deliver. The RTX facade, presentation, show with very poor results afterwards, GPP, hardware failing (not properly tested) looks more to desperation. So Ampere needs to be very good to maintain their Datacenter/AI lead with decent gaming cards. I think AMD has much more leeway with how they do their GPU business. The next gen Consoles is going to be fun to watch how that affects Nvidia over priced cards.

Are you confusing Gross Margin with profit margin? Most businesses aim for 8-12% profit margin. nVidia is around 15% iirc.

So

A) no need to release a new card, AMD can't compete
B) if AMD does manage to put out a card that competes, no one will buy it anyway because of reasons

The state of the enthusiast community

Back