NVIDIA works with devs to add CUDA ocean sim and graphics effects to Just Cause 2

Wait wait wait...if Im viewing and hearing this video correctly they have added for Nvidia only the following...

Ocean swells and waves...Crysis has this, and in my opinion it still looks better if not the EXACT same, no actual "physical" water ripples or waves like GTA4...so nothing at all special or impossible for ATi hardware.

Depth of field...umm...lol? What game post 2006 doesnt have depth of field? And how does Nvidia/CUDA have anything to do with this/ATi not being able to do this...

Soft shadows...again...wah? FEAR? 2005? If what they are talking about is shadows getting softer the further away they get from you, did Max Payne 2 character shadows not have this, and again, ATi hardware can't do this?

I mean, is this for real? I see nothing here that cant be done on ATi...and the water is a joke. I was expecting some badass shit like water splashes and REAL waves...Mercenaries 2 has the most realistic water if looked at by water ripples and such...all Just Cause 2 and its uber CUDA water does is simulate Crysis...

I own ATi but this in no way makes me hate Nvidia...I dont, they have awesome hardware...I just hate this "Meant to be Played" malarkey that all it does is limit ATi from have special effects that it can easily do...

You're missing the point. Nvidia approached the publishers to get PC only effects added to what's essentially a console game, probably as part of some sort of co-marketing agreement. It has nothing to do with ATi. If the developers had originally implemented these effects for all PC hardware then there would be no need for Nvidia to approach them in the first place.

I'm thrilled they're focusing on water effects. Soon they'll have a fishing simulator good enough to keep me indoors all the time!

Nice. Hopefully it is a good game for me to try with my 5850 and gt 240.

You're missing the point. Nvidia approached the publishers to get PC only effects added to what's essentially a console game, probably as part of some sort of co-marketing agreement. It has nothing to do with ATi. If the developers had originally implemented these effects for all PC hardware then there would be no need for Nvidia to approach them in the first place.

I think you are missing the point.

There is nothing here that couldnt be done by ATi...and Im sure with good enough programming the consoles could do the same on some scale.

There is nothing here that couldnt be done by ATi...and Im sure with good enough programming the consoles could do the same on some scale.

All hardware is worthless junk without software. If a company does something to make software better, thus making your hardware investment worth more, why would you not be appreciative of that? :confused:

I think trinibwoy said that. But if this was nVidia's effort, nVidia was under no obligation to HELP ATI hardware, as long as it didn't HURT ATI hardware, that's ok.

Now if nVidia's effort had resulted in a cross platform solution, nVidia would have gotten a lot of kudos for it, but really I doubt that the good will would have translated into a lot of sales, who knows.

But this game! OMG! It's BEAUTIFUL! Definitely picking this up but I'm not playing it until I get my new rig with a i7-980x, 3x SLI GTX 480, and 12 GB of RAM built.

Yeah, just played the demo...no soft shadows, no depth of field, no swelling water...lame...

Still a beautiful game, but goddammit...wtf?! If Crysis can do it and doesnt need UBER CUDA!!1!! THEN WHY CANT ATI DO IT?!

Complete crap...hey, at least we can remove the time limit and map size! w00t!

FAIL PHYSX!

I wouldnt say fail Physx...but damn, at least make it where the effects couldnt be done via CPU/ATi or claiming that only CUDA/Physx can do soft shadowing or depth of field...I mean, the water is in no way better than Crysis with CUDA...all it does is add swells and the like, which, again, is something that Crysis already does ON THE CPU with no Physx required.

Soft shadows and depth of field? How is this CUDA? Didnt know that soft shadows required physics processing...

Again, Nvidia just ass kissing to get what they want only for their customers...I am really trying not to hate Nvidia, but damn, theyre complete dicks with this shit...

This is how the meeting went:

"Duhrr...lets add some stuff for this game and claim only we can do it...duhrr (drools)..."
"Bahhh...what can we do?//...add stuff like soft shadows and depth of field??/"
"Dahh...but that means ATi can do it too..."
"But uhh...not if we claim its CUDA and limit only to our hardware thru the drivers and software!"
"Brwiant!"

Meeting done!

played the demo, can't really get into it. don't like the shooting, and the way parachute handles.

Man, I hate it when games don't just use Direct3D. Yet another lost sale from me, because I'm not going to buy it if the eyecandy only works on Nvidia systems.

Soft shadows and depth of field? How is this CUDA? Didnt know that soft shadows required physics processing...

Hmm, you should probably do a bit more reading and a bit less ranting. CUDA isn't physics. Besides it's not soft shadows and depth of field that they added as those things are in the base game as well. What they did was add ambient occlusion for additional soft shadowing effects and they enhanced the DoF with a bokeh filter. And the water simulation stuff as well. As I said before this has nothing to do with ATi so I don't know why you keep bringing them up.

Man, I hate it when games don't just use Direct3D. Yet another lost sale from me, because I'm not going to buy it if the eyecandy only works on Nvidia systems.

In other words you would've bought it if Nvidia didn't interfere even though that would have resulted in you getting the exact same game experience that you have now? It's a matter of principle eh? :)

In other words you would've bought it if Nvidia didn't interfere even though that would have resulted in you getting the exact same game experience that you have now? It's a matter of principle eh? :)

Yes, because if we go down the path where we allow video card manufacturers to start co-developing games then we're right back to the old glide days and incompatible APIs. And that is without a doubt *BAD* for the *entire industry*

That said, did anybody else think those shadows looked horrendous? Blob + soft shadow == wtf? Also, the water looked decent, but lol at the sprite splashes.

Yes, because if we go down the path where we allow video card manufacturers to start co-developing games then we're right back to the old glide days and incompatible APIs. And that is without a doubt *BAD* for the *entire industry*

This is in no way comparable to glide as nothing has been taken away from ATi users and they can run the game just fine. They get the game that the developers intended to provide. Nvidia simply stepped in to get a few enhancements for their customers to make better use of their hardware. Once developers start doing these things on their own (like Crytek), there'll be no need for IHV's to interfere. I fail to see how what Nvidia is doing here can be cast in a negative light. Their customers benefit and the competition isn't hurt by it.

That said, did anybody else think those shadows looked horrendous? Blob + soft shadow == wtf? Also, the water looked decent, but lol at the sprite splashes.

Yep the character AO shadows look terrible. Like old school blobs.

This is in no way comparable to glide as nothing has been taken away from ATi users and they can run the game just fine. They get the game that the developers intended to provide. Nvidia simply stepped in to get a few enhancements for their customers to make better use of their hardware. Once developers start doing these things on their own (like Crytek), there'll be no need for IHV's to interfere. I fail to see how what Nvidia is doing here can be cast in a negative light. Their customers benefit and the competition isn't hurt by it.

Oh give me a break. The demo's title screens are nVidia logos with a little bit of Just Cause thrown in. The entire thing is being paid off, it's obvious from the branding to the inclusion of eyecandy that isn't supported on the other side. It's a barrier of entry for ATi and a misrepresentation of hardware.

lol...at ATI fanboys getting mad at Nvidia for adding some features for it's customers just because ATI are too lazy to approach devs. This is getting ridiculous!
back on topic, the water looks pretty good IMO

lol...at ATI fanboys getting mad at Nvidia for adding some features for it's customers just because ATI are too lazy to approach devs. This is getting ridiculous!

lol ATI doesn't have to throw money at game devs to sell cards. Also Crysis water looks better.

This.

I am not quite sure what exactly how CUDA do depth of field, soft shadow etc..

what in the world are they thinking? or they are just filling up the length of video beside showing how impressive their water can be?

I play the demo on steam, sorry to say, but the game is horrible...... :(

I couldn't find myself buying this game in any possible way....

plus, the graphic looks like from 2005 games.. no kidding....

btw, isn't this game by the same developer group from Batman?

why am I not surprise they did this again with same studio? :p

anyway, this doesn't really effect me since I buy both brand of cards just to play different game on their strength..

I am not quite sure what exactly how CUDA do depth of field, soft shadow etc..

what in the world are they thinking? or they are just filling up the length of video beside showing how impressive their water can be?

I play the demo on steam, sorry to say, but the game is horrible...... :(

I couldn't find myself buying this game in any possible way....

plus, the graphic looks like from 2005 games.. no kidding....

btw, isn't this game by the same developer group from Batman?

why am I not surprise they did this again with same studio? :p

anyway, this doesn't really effect me since I buy both brand of cards just to play different game on their strength..

lol? Batman is made by Rocksteady. Just Cause 2 is made by Avalanche, and actually has an ex-ATI employee working in the studio.

But way to jump to conclusions.

This smacks of nvidia preparing for the arrival of a possible lackluster Fermi range, if the hardware itself doesn't offer anything then they can fall back on PhysX and CUDA support as the reasons to get their hardware.

If this is becoming a trend I'm not sure I like it.

never heard of this game before. Is it like GTA (sandbox)?

looks pretty decent

lol? Batman is made by Rocksteady. Just Cause 2 is made by Avalanche, and actually has an ex-ATI employee working in the studio.

But way to jump to conclusions.

well, both shows Eidos on it.....

I assume they have some connection there..

This smacks of nvidia preparing for the arrival of a possible lackluster Fermi range, if the hardware itself doesn't offer anything then they can fall back on PhysX and CUDA support as the reasons to get their hardware.

If this is becoming a trend I'm not sure I like it.

Or heaven forbid.. *gasp*... they *MAY* actually be working on hardware *AND* other projects *simultaneously*, with *gasp* more than 1 person!!!

Impossible you say? I surely agree!

well, both shows Eidos on it.....

I assume they have some connection there..

Dozens of games show Eidos. they're a publisher... that doesn't make the developer any more likely to want to implement something in their baby that has taken years to create.

By your logic, the fact that NVIDIA TWIMTBP is in both Crysis and Spore is because they were both published by EA

Publisher != Development studio.

Or heaven forbid.. *gasp*... they *MAY* actually be working on hardware *AND* other projects *simultaneously*, with *gasp* more than 1 person!!!

Impossible you say? I surely agree!

Who said anything about nvidia not being able to work on multiple projects at once? :confused:

Dozens of games show Eidos. They are a publisher... that doesn't make the developer any more likely to want to implement something in their baby that has taken years to create.

then it still shows the fact there is still some connection between it .....

we will see how it goes once the game release..

since I ran this on my nvidia cards and it still not showing anything from what the video have yet...

Nvidia knows it can't compete using standard API, so it decides to buy off some third-rated games to show off the abilities of its tarded cards? That is quite sad..

Back