Nvidia Warns Windows Gamers of Serious Graphics Driver Bugs

erek

[H]F Junkie
Bogus :(

"The final vGPU flaw (CVE‑2020‑5971) stems from the software reading from a buffer by using buffer access mechanisms (such as indexes or pointers) that reference memory locations after the targeted buffer. This could lead to code execution, DoS, escalated privileges, or information disclosure.

It’s only the latest slew of patches that Nvidia has issued. Earlier in March, the company fixed several high-severity vulnerabilities in its graphics driver, which can be exploited by a local attacker to launch DoS or code-execution attacks. Last year, Nvidia issued fixes for high-severity flaws in two popular gaming products, including its graphics driver for Windows and GeForce Experience. The flaws could be exploited to launch an array of malicious attacks – from DoS to escalation of privileges. Also in 2019, Nvidia patched another high-severity vulnerability in its GeForce Experience software, which could lead to code-execution or DoS of products, if exploited."

https://threatpost.com/nvidia-windows-gamers-graphics-driver-bugs/156911/

there seem to be more of these Security fixes in a lot of recent Nvidia drivers...I don't update my drivers every time but this looks like one worth upgrading to

I really don't care. Especially considering: " which can be exploited by a local attacker "
If someone gets local access to my gaming PC he probably stole it. I'm fucked anyway.
NVIDIA is the top-player in their market like Intel, so it's in vogue to make mountains out of molehills with these things.

2004 is still a mess. it and GPU acceleration worked fine on my G14 laptop, but was a disaster on my desktop.

i tried to use the new NVIDIA driver & the gpu acceleration and the lastest version of windows is required.so i updated my desktop from 1909 to 2004. my ethernet/wifi download speed was cut from Mbps to Mbps. upload stayed the same at about Mbps.
audio cut out but i didnt notice this as much because i was trying to fix the Ethernet issue.( it apparently has to do with the new driver and RTX audio having some bugs still, one of the NVIDIA guys on twitter said not to use RTX audio and the GPU acceleration at the same time for now)
but more critically when i tried to restart after finishing all the required downloads my desktop would would post but fail to enter the OS. just ended up doing endlesspost and reset cycles
i had to plug in my boot drive and roll back the windows update/install to 1909 to fix all the issues. wifi/ethernet speed was back to my normal speed. the audio was fine, and most importantly i could actually get into windows again. but no GPU acceleration at the moment. im gonna wait for all these new features and updates to be more polished before trying again.

2004 is still a mess. it and GPU acceleration worked fine on my G14 laptop, but was a disaster on my desktop.

i tried to use the new NVIDIA driver & the gpu acceleration and the lastest version of windows is required.so i updated my desktop from 1909 to 2004. my ethernet/wifi download speed was cut from Mbps to Mbps. upload stayed the same at about Mbps.
audio cut out but i didnt notice this as much because i was trying to fix the Ethernet issue.( it apparently has to do with the new driver and RTX audio having some bugs still, one of the NVIDIA guys on twitter said not to use RTX audio and the GPU acceleration at the same time for now)
but more critically when i tried to restart after finishing all the required downloads my desktop would would post but fail to enter the OS. just ended up doing endlesspost and reset cycles
i had to plug in my boot drive and roll back the windows update/install to 1909 to fix all the issues. wifi/ethernet speed was back to my normal speed. the audio was fine, and most importantly i could actually get into windows again. but no GPU acceleration at the moment. im gonna wait for all these new features and updates to be more polished before trying again.
20H1 still has a lot of unresolved issues. I would recommend following the issue tracker and doing the same for future feature updates. I didn't update to 1903 for 8 months until Microsoft fixed most of the issues.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

20H1 still has a lot of unresolved issues. I would recommend following the issue tracker and doing the same for future feature updates. I didn't update to 1903 for 8 months until Microsoft fixed most of the issues.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004
appreciate it.. yea i try not to update. but when theres a major feature unrolled i do get tempted despite my better judgement. the 1809? i think version which rolled out DXR support was said to have alot of issues but i forced that update and didnt have any trouble. i guess i was foolish to think i could get lucky twice in a row.

I really don't care. Especially considering: " which can be exploited by a local attacker "
If someone gets local access to my gaming PC he probably stole it. I'm fucked anyway.

Nor do I. I typically update gpu drivers every 3-4 months or if I'm having a specific issue with a game. I'll also admit to pausing win 10 updates for 7 days for up to a month.

Back