NVIDIA Warns of 2nd Quarter Revenue Shortfall

HardOCP News

[H] News
The hits just keep coming for NVIDIA. First the company was named as the worst performing stock of 2010, then they lose their case to RAMBUS and now the company is warning of a 2Q revenue shortfall. Ouch. Thanks to R. Groenestein for the heads up.

The Santa Clara, Calif.-based graphics chip supplier said it expects revenue for its second quarter ending August 1 to be lower than the guidance provided with the company's financial results for the first quarter. Nvidia supplies graphics processing units, or GPUs, to all major computer makers, including Hewlett-Packard, Dell, and Apple.

Grab a life vest!

nVidiots should keep the company afloat until the next quarter.

nVidiots should keep the company afloat until the next quarter.

You make yourself seem like an idiot when you generalize.

The company really needs to have their architectural improvements catch on (software) so it can pull off some major design wins. Also, that huge die size cuts badly into their margins. Maybe 32nm TSMC will save the day?

Really? Who fell for the bait...

But anyhow...nV lost to RAMBUS. I mean...c'mon.

Why do you even try to participate in the forums when you have nothing intelligent to contribute?

Nvidia will remain in the game for a while. While there was a loss, they are up 17% from the previous quarter.

This is a dead subject that no infusion of banter could resuscitate. nV is really on the ropes now. They have little or nothing for the general public to purchase. Their latest offerings appeal mainly to enthusiasts who are willing to purchase 600+ watt power supplies just to run the cards. ATI is jack slapping them in the low end, mid range and most of the high end market and there's no relief in sight. Especially since ATI is on the verge of releasing a new series of cards just when nV gave us their last gasp effort. NOW they've lost an legal battle with a notorious scum bag trash "company" called RAMBUS.

If nV is ignorant enough to find itself in bed with a low life, stinking turd or business like RAMBUS, they get what they deserve. nV is gasping for air now and the only people keeping them alive are fans of nV. Good luck nV. We may have seen the last of them after this series of not so hot (pardon the pun "hot") video cards.

This is a dead subject that no infusion of banter could resuscitate. nV is really on the ropes now. They have little or nothing for the general public to purchase. Their latest offerings appeal mainly to enthusiasts who are willing to purchase 600+ watt power supplies just to run the cards. ATI is jack slapping them in the low end, mid range and most of the high end market and there's no relief in sight. Especially since ATI is on the verge of releasing a new series of cards just when nV gave us their last gasp effort. NOW they've lost an legal battle with a notorious scum bag trash "company" called RAMBUS.

If nV is ignorant enough to find itself in bed with a low life, stinking turd or business like RAMBUS, they get what they deserve. nV is gasping for air now and the only people keeping them alive are fans of nV. Good luck nV. We may have seen the last of them after this series of not so hot (pardon the pun "hot") video cards.
Yup and ATI was also on the ropes not so long ago also :p. This always goes back and forth, something everyone here should be used to by now. But I guess we still have some Doom Sayers among us, lol.

Nv will be around a good long while. Regardless of what, if anything AMD, launches in the next 3-6 months.

Who knows, maybe intel will buy NV if it gets bad enough Though very unlikely, it would be very interesting to see what they could put out.

Quick, Obama! Bail out nVidia or the video card market, nay the world is doomed!

Nv will be around a good long while. Regardless of what, if anything AMD, launches in the next 3-6 months.

I certainly hope your right. When (if) nV fails, it will mean there is no competition on the video card front.

This is funny....
I don't really follow the "video card market", but I remember at least 1-2 years ago, when Nvidia had FULL CONTROL of the market, ATI had nothing to compete with nVidia, and everybody used to say "OMG, what's going to happen to ATI, etc etc.."..

This is funny....
I don't really follow the "video card market", but I remember at least 1-2 years ago, when Nvidia had FULL CONTROL of the market, ATI had nothing to compete with nVidia, and everybody used to say "OMG, what's going to happen to ATI, etc etc.."..

2 years ago, ATI controlled the lower end and mid range market while nV had the high end/enthusiasts. That ended with the release of the 4800 series cards and continues today. It's going to get worse after ATI releases its new offering in the fall.

nV has struggled badly for the last 2 years. They're not in the good graces with Intel They lost a legal battle with RAMBUS. Their market shares are plummeting and they've got nothing innovative on the horizon...because they shot their wad on cards that are not appealing to anybody outside of enthusiasts. Besides, ATI's "old" high end stuff gives the latest nV offering a serious run for the money.

Also, that huge die size cuts badly into their margins. Maybe 32nm TSMC will save the day?

Well then they'll need extra saving, because TSMC's 32nm process is cancelled.

I certainly hope your right. When (if) nV fails, it will mean there is no competition on the video card front.

While Nv's long term future prospects do not look as good as AMD's, without them winning their legal battle with Intel, as of now, Nv is in far better financial shape. AMD has mangaged to hang on despite near bankruptcy on more than one occasion. Nv is no where near that point financially.

While Nv's long term future prospects do not look as good as AMD's, without them winning their legal battle with Intel, as of now, Nv is in far better financial shape. AMD has mangaged to hang on despite near bankruptcy on more than one occasion. Nv is no where near that point financially.
It's kind of interesting, since I remember people saying it was the end of nvidia when they started pulling out (pushed out?) of the chipset market. But they're still here.

Nvidia supplies graphics processing units, or GPUs, to all major computer makers, including...Apple.
Not anymore.

2 years ago, ATI controlled the lower end and mid range market while nV had the high end/enthusiasts. That ended with the release of the 4800 series cards and continues today. It's going to get worse after ATI releases its new offering in the fall.
The GTX460 is a pretty decent card, priced well, and the 470 and 480 are also priced pretty competitively. I wouldn't go with them still because of the heat they put out, but I'm sure to many people this doesn't matter so much.

ATI could use some time to catch up. The closer these two companies get to 50/50 in cash reserves, the better off we'll be as consumers.

I do take some amusement in the irony of Nvidia's "stockholders first" approach becoming their downfall. All that money they spent on advertisement and TWIMTBPaid didn't make people want to buy their GPUs. I guess consumers prefer a good GPU for the right price over an advertisement with every game and drivers designed not to play well with others.

ha good thing I got my cards from a company thats already gone under. I'm covered!

nV has struggled badly for the last 2 years. They're not in the good graces with Intel They lost a legal battle with RAMBUS. Their market shares are plummeting and they've got nothing innovative on the horizon...because they shot their wad on cards that are not appealing to anybody outside of enthusiasts. Besides, ATI's "old" high end stuff gives the latest nV offering a serious run for the money.

Lets not forget that 4 years ago ATI was in such bad shape they had to be bailed out by AMD. :rolleyes:

nVidia aint going anywhere anytime soon. Hate on brotha.

i too want them to stay around for competition sake. i need a new card and i want something super stellar!

Everyone forgets about matrox!

Amd are losing millions every second, nvidia still has a 50% market share but is dying somehow. Matrow FTW! death to polygons! death to 3d!

I'm suprised it took this long,doesn't mean they are going under.

This is funny....

Lets not forget that 4 years ago ATI was in such bad shape they had to be bailed out by AMD.

They weren't bailed out, they were bought out. ATI no longer exists as anything other than a brand.

NVDA is a takeover target, make no mistake.

They weren't bailed out, they were bought out. ATI no longer exists as anything other than a brand.

NVDA is a takeover target, make no mistake.

While I don't believe they will have any problem surviving on their own, I do agree that they are a take over target, and that they have been on and off since going public. But by who would be the question.

I get the feeling Intel is just not interested, (they have the money and Nv has been public for years), and AMD can not currently afford them nor do I beleive they could get past the regulatory hurdles involved in buying Nv. Not to mention the fact that Nv is in a better financial position to buy AMD than the other way around, or the probability that the EU and DOJ would just sue them to death a few years down the road, even though they would have had to give the OK to the sale in the first place.

who is in hock up to their eyeballs and who has cash reserves?

Neither is really in a position to buy the other, and I doubt either could secure financing to buy the other. But Nv is closer to being able to than AMD is, in a pig is closer to being able to fly than blue whale is sort of way.

who is in hock up to their eyeballs and who has cash reserves?

Neither is really in a position to buy the other, and I doubt either could secure financing to buy the other. But Nv is closer to being able to than AMD is, in a pig is closer to being able to fly than blue whale is sort of way.
Um, you might want to check their key statistics. AMD has 1.90B in cash, NDVA has 1.76B. (The latter has a better current ratio, but they are both above 2.) It's a moot point--when you buy a company, you get their cash.

Yes, neither in in a good position to buy the other outright, but it's called Mergers and Acquisitions for a reason. The numbers just don't seem to support your claim about where the balance is tilting. There's an argument to be made that and AMD-Nvidia merger could get past regulators on the grounds that Intel is the 1000lb gorilla in the room, having increased their share of the integrated graphics market from 51.1% to 54.9%:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/202254/intels_legal_issues_help_amd_gain_in_graphics_market.html

Back