Nvidia Wants to Pack More Cores into Mobile Devices

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by MajorDomo, Dec 6, 2010.

1. MajorDomo

MajorDomo [H]ard as it Gets

Nvidia is ready to improve the speed and performance across the board of hand held devices by increasing the core technology in the processors. The current industry standard of single core processors is being pushed to its limits by demands on resources, following the same trend of laptops and desktops.

2. EagleMDB

EagleMDB Limp Gawd

It would be nice to see some true threading on these devices. That is what most of our phones need now, we are already doing so much more than ever with them now we just need the power to do them effectivly. How long until people are using their smart phones as thin client replacements.

3. Sorce

Sorce [H]ardness Supreme

Make batteries better first, then throw in a billion cores.

4. oVrKiL

oVrKiL [H]Lite

Sweet, more cores to crunch SETI wu's with

5. EagleMDB

EagleMDB Limp Gawd

I would think with better. Threading and better energy effiency that batteries would be reasonable but not great kinda like now. I think making more efficent transmitters and gps devices would fix the battery problem.

6. fattypants

fattypants 2[H]4U

I'm definitely buying a Tegra 2 phone, but I'll hold off on quad cores until they hit 28nm. Since they're saying Q4, it is likely they'll coincide.

7. MATRIXSHARK

MATRIXSHARK Gawd

You can bet great stuff is on it's way. First Amazon had the droids for a penny, now Best Buy has the Incredible for free. Seems like those in the know are doing what they can to clear some inventory quick.

8. Dylan80

Dylan80 [H]ard|Gawd

Nvidia always seems to listen to what the people want!

DUAL CORE, LETS DO ITTTTTTT. I'll start saving Nvidia, hurry up though!

9. Cerulean

Cerulean [H]ardForum Junkie

I once opened up a 3G iPod and to my surprise its battery, as thin as it was, was only about two pennies side-to-side from top view. A tiny thing like that can power such a player for 6-10 hours? I was like, wow -- how come nobody else has as good, efficient, and small batteries like Apple?

10. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

Huh? Does Apple make batteries?

11. Acoustique

Acoustique Gawd

yeh but apple products like their users don't think that much and by proxy use far less power :D