Nvidia Wants To Own The Graphics Card Market

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Here’s an article that talks a little bit about Nvidia’s perks and how it intends to fortify itself in the market. I don’t know about the GFE driver thing, but streaming on the Shield handheld has been pretty cool for me.

PC gamers are a fickle sort and would readily swap out GeForce graphics cards in droves for AMD R9 GPUs if the gaming world started trending towards Team Red. Nvidia wants to counteract that possibility by making the world of Nvidia far more appealing. You might come to Nvidia for the graphics performance, but you’ll stay for all the extra perks that come with being a GeForce graphics card owner—or at least Nvidia hopes so.

What? Like broken games stuffed full of Nvidia bullshit? Nah I'm good...the DX12 performance of AMD has got me here to stay.

What? Like broken games stuffed full of Nvidia bullshit? Nah I'm good...the DX12 performance of AMD has got me here to stay.

As much as I would love to see some competition...

Anyone who is basing their purchases and fandom on a single pre-alpha benchmark is really asking to be taken advantage of.

AMD has not demonstrated leading DX12 performance: They have demonstrated leading Ashes of the Singularity Alpha Benchmark performance.

If there were 10-15 different DX12 benchmarks around and AMD was dominating more than half of them, then I'd change my tune.

The question is will AMD be here to stay. AMD can't endure much longer on its current trajectory. Just because of that situation people are scared off buying AMD products, I know I am.

Anyone who is basing their purchases and fandom on a single pre-alpha benchmark is really asking to be taken advantage of.

AMD has not demonstrated leading DX12 performance: They have demonstrated leading Ashes of the Singularity Alpha Benchmark performance.

If there were 10-15 different DX12 benchmarks around and AMD was dominating more than half of them, then I'd change my tune.

Exactly, one bench of one game (I'm personally not even interested in), not to mention pascal coming. I'm all for competition but AMD is not really leading anything right now. They're optimizing for 10 which is great, but Nvidia is much more on top at the moment.

I heard they plan to change Geforce experience to make it more interactive by having Smash Mouth and Limp Bizkit play their greatest hits while the program continually freeze when applying the "optimal" settings.

I heard they plan to change Geforce experience to make it more interactive by having Smash Mouth and Limp Bizkit play their greatest hits while the program continually freeze when applying the "optimal" settings.

I heard amd is going to give a mandatory free u2 album away when you install the drivers for the fury x2

while ive been traditional a guy in red, Im probably switching to green side coming up. Why? because more games seem to run better on Nvidia. Whether or not that is due to NVidia programs causing issues with AMD based cards, but seem to be less problems on NVidia side with games.

The question is will AMD be here to stay. AMD can't endure much longer on its current trajectory. Just because of that situation people are scared off buying AMD products, I know I am.

I just can't see AMD continuing much longer. Their cpu's can't keep up with Intel, and their graphics cards can't seem to match nvidia. I don't quite understand it. As long as they've been behind I don't see why they don't put more effort into matching their competitors. Seems like by now they'd have an idea of how to at least get close.

The only "perks" I want from Nvidia are to be able to run games as smoothly and cheaply as possible. Unless they start giving away real games for free, then I'm not interested in their extras of their flopped console brand.

I hope that we won't have a case of only having the green team. It would be terrible for all of us if only Nvidia is around.

I hope that we won't have a case of only having the green team. It would be terrible for all of us if only Nvidia is around.

If AMD goes down, some one else will take its place.

The market it too atractive for just one player.

Competition is fun. I had more fun in the older days trying out all sorts of cards rather than just playing with one brand. One brand for cpu and gpu is going to be quite boring.

This. It is pretty bad already (i.e. enthusiast level product prices) with team green dominating the flagship segment. I really really hope AMD does something good in the next product cycle.

Nvidia loves proprietary. Switching becomes far less tempting for people, even if the competition is better, when you invested $800 on your gsync monitor.

Well the forums will be a lot better. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

Wait, wait, wait. You mean Nvidia's goal previously was to not own the graphics market?

Silly headline is silly.

AMD hasn't updated their Catalyst drivers since July. I'll just let that sink in a little bit. Meanwhile nVidia has had several driver updates a month since 10 launched.

One company seems to be commited to making sure everything works. The other is totally out to lunch.

AMD hasn't updated their Catalyst drivers since July. I'll just let that sink in a little bit. Meanwhile nVidia has had several driver updates a month since 10 launched.

One company seems to be commited to making sure everything works. The other is totally out to lunch.

The latest AMD driver was released 3 days ago.

Beta drivers don't count. The last finalized driver was released on 7/29/2015. That's an eternity ago in teh tech world.

If AMD goes down, some one else will take its place.

The market it too atractive for just one player.

Who? If nobody's shown any interest by now to jump in then I don't see anyone doing it after one company who competed for years goes down. Not unless Intel decided they wanted to get serious about graphics performance. But with PCs "dying" and consoles being king, I don't see any start-up bothering to make a go of it.

Isn't that basically all Nvidia's drivers are?

I haven't had a driver issue with nVidia in many years. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Meanwhile with my AMD APU based HTPC, hardware acceleration in Kodi/XBMC was broken for months due to AMD driver issues.

Also Fable Legends.

1080pi7.png

Besides that for the past 3 years AMD has been including Async Compute and Nvidia hasn't. You can't call Nvidia cards DX12/Vulkan compatible when they're missing a key feature.

Works
3qX42h4.png

Broke as hell.
vevF50L.png

Keep in mind that Nvidia has also been dealing with a lot of bugs they have with Windows 10. They clearly weren't ready for Windows 10's release. But AMD drivers have gotten better since, to the point that the Fury X is now faster than the 980Ti

Before Driver Updates.
perfrel_3840.gif

After Driver Updates.
perfrel_3840_2160.png

This just in, a company want's to own the market it is in! What a revolutionary idea! And they're going to try to do this by offering things no one else is! WOW! Clearly some next level shit going on here.

Who? If nobody's shown any interest by now to jump in then I don't see anyone doing it after one company who competed for years goes down. Not unless Intel decided they wanted to get serious about graphics performance. But with PCs "dying" and consoles being king, I don't see any start-up bothering to make a go of it.

Something probably will. Remember both companies were upstarts just 20 years ago. Something will probably rise from the ashes as always.

I haven't had a driver issue with nVidia in many years. I have no idea what you're talking about.

You must have missed the Vista meltdown when Nvidia drivers were so messed-up the greenies were irate and talking about lawsuits, creating rant sites etc.

Ive use both cards and (like CPUs) I don't want to see competition go away. I know whenever I start-up a game its usually Nvidia's name popping up in the opening credits. Nvidia's greatest advantage seems to be in getting their hands involved in the making of games

You must have missed the Vista meltdown when Nvidia drivers were so messed-up the greenies were irate and talking about lawsuits, creating rant sites etc.

Ive use both cards and (like CPUs) I don't want to see competition go away. I know whenever I start-up a game its usually Nvidia's name popping up in the opening credits. Nvidia's greatest advantage seems to be in getting their hands involved in the making of games

Vista was 9 years ago, scary to think of isn't it?

Vista was nearly a decade ago. It's ancient history. In recent years nVidia's driver support is excellent. AMD/ATI's driver team has mostly been laid off. They barely support their cards. You could even make a compelling argument that Intel HD graphics are better supported at this point.

Well the forums will be a lot better. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

Yes it would be, because you would finally begone since you literally have nothing else to talk about.

I've had less trouble with AMD drivers. I generally like AMD graphics more. I hope they manage to get a break through, but it seems like it's more and more unlikely.

I've had less trouble with AMD drivers. I generally like AMD graphics more. I hope they manage to get a break through, but it seems like it's more and more unlikely.

Actually Radeon Technology Group's upcoming card lineup looks really solid, they are pushing VR heavily, drivers including for Windows 10, have been impressive on top of increasing performance for free across all GCN cards. Looks good for them!

I hope that's true. I don't think I'll buy it mainly because I'm usually more of the middle type guy, so I usually buy late, but mid-high and it works well for me. I bought a gfx card like a year or so ago. 280. And it works. Not that I've used my desktop much. Not many games I want to really play. Did use it to play the shit out of Witcher 3 though. And a good bit of Dragon Age, but man did that get boring after I wiped out the dragons.

Realistically, don't all good companies want to own the market they are in (unless they have no drive or ambition) ... and customer lock in is just the latest technique available to companies, if they can pull it off ... Steam uses their sales (since large libraries aren't good outside Steam) ... the phone OS companies use their app stores (since you can't trade apps between platforms) ... ISPs, Phones, and Cable use contracts ... aspirations of greatness are nothing new and they still require execution (which NVidia is generally pretty good at) so we'll see how it plays out

Back