NVIDIA Video Cards, HDCP Repeater not being detected, Yamaha A/V Receivers

funks

Limp Gawd
Video Card: Nvidia GTX1070 (and also tried 750TI)
CPU make and model: Intel 2600K
Amount of system memory: 8 GB
Motherboard make and model: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H (rev 1.1)
Motherboard BIOS version: F15
Monitor(s) make and model: TV - LG 60PM6700
Sound card make and model: HDMI
Driver: Latest WHQL (368.39)

My video card is plugged into my receiver (Yamaha RX-A800) via HDMI, which is then plugged into my TV ( LG - 60PM6700 ). It seems the driver has an issue when there's an AV Receiver (Yamaha RX-A800) in the middle of the chain as plugging the video card directly to the TV correctly reports HDCP support in the NVIDIA control panel.

Causes Media Center Fits when watching HD channels, it gives me an error saying "HDCP is required" and the NVIDIA Control Panel's HDCP section says HDCP not detected. Power DVD Ultra 16 doesn't work either, complaining about HDCP.

Using the same PC along with the AMD Radeon Fury Nano, HD7950, HD7790 has no problems detecting HDCP, even the Intel iGPU also works just fine with the setup (HDCP detected). It's not the cables (replaced em - monoprice) just to make sure. It's not the HDMI ports on the A/V Receiver (tried HDMI Input 1 and 2). The receiver supports HDMI 1.4a, and HDCP and my PS4, and Chromecast (also plugged into the same receiver) has no problems negotiating HDCP.

My receiver has an HDMI pass-thru option when the receiver is turned off but HDCP still not working. if I plug the card directly to the TV, HDCP is detected.

Replaced the cables (using Monoprice HDMI 1.4 - PID 13580 for the 3 footer, and PID 13586 for the 6 footer) cables just to make sure and it's not that (3 foot cable from Vid Card -> Receiver, 6 foot cable from Receiver -> TV).

Intel iGPU, PS4, AMD Radeon (tried Fury, 7950, 7790) have no problems detecting HDCP (exact same port / cables).

I purchased a HDFury Integral ( 200$+ - ouch ) and will see if it fixes it - receiving it tonight. It acts as an EDID manager (so that disconnect events doesn't cause the PC fits - eq. turning off the tv, the receiver, or waking the computer up from sleep usually leads to HDMI audio disappearing) - similar function as the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus.

Maybe I should have bought one of those cheaper HDMI spliters instead (I don't know if they can be configured to cache a specific EDID), I wanted one of higher quality as it'll be running 24x7 and it pisses of the family members when the Media Center is cranky.

Last edited:
The HD Fury Integral fixes the issue ( looks like it doesn't act like a HDCP repeater ). Something is a bit funky with the way NVIDIA detects HDCP repeaters is my guess on certain devices (which isn't an issue with AMD and Intel GPU's).

I filed a bug report with NVIDIA, they are taking a look into the problem ( they are sending it to their QA team )

My AVR is an older Marantz SR-5008 and the HTPC is running a 970, no handshake issues. I leave the HTPC running 24/7 and connected to an HDMI input, never an issue. I'll be interested to hear what nVidia says about it. In NVCP, under HDCP status, it says a repeater is connected to my system and some video applications do not support HDCP with a repeater present - I think the AVR is what it's calling a repeater. I have no splitter/stripper on the input to the AVR, so no ideas there.

Back