NVIDIA Unveils The Titan X At GDC 2015

It's a very nice card (love the 12GB), but the DVI connector and the HDMI connector is a waste of time. They should just give us 4x DisplayPort 1.2 and call it a day. Those who want a DVI or HDMI connector can use an adapter. One easily can convert a DisplayPort 1.2 to either a DVI or HDMI, but you can't go from HDMI or DVI to a DisplayPort 1.2. That being said, from the pictures I found, I can see at least 2x DisplayPort 1.2 connectors, with sufficient space on the bottom of the mounting bracket for a third (can't see for sure though). Hopefully, as others have said, card makers will produce a 4x DisplayPort 1.2 version that can be converted to a single slot WC version.

What you say is half truth. DVI is an obvious nonsense and makes the card two slot width hard to reduce to single slot. But HDMI 2.0 is very useful for driving 4K TV. Now for the DisplayPort there are 3 connectors but I hope they provide DP 1.3 support, it will be possible then to use the card with 5K monitors.

I kind of laughed about this right here. One might argue that, compared to the early days of silicon production, every subsequent process has been a matter of diminishing returns. Still, the only people that really NEED this card will likely already own a K80 or a k6000. The people that will actually buy this will be gamers who will then be shamed by the fact the 980ti will outperform it in games for half the cost.

980Ti will ouperform Titan X??? Don't get the depth of your logic.

ummm

you are very aware that the x86 license is intels while the AMD64 is ...... AMD? Right?
That IP alone is worth a ton and Intel would not be that idiotic to let someone else scoop that up. Then Intel would be paying the new owners "new" licensing royalties for the AMD64 IP.

You are aware in the cross-license if AMD is bought out then they caused early termination of the agreement right? As a penalty in the agreement AMD would lose x86 and Intel would retain full access to x64 without the need for a new license agreement.

So Intel would not be paying any "new" licensing royalties. They would continue paying the current fees under the current agreement.

It is one of the reasons Intel went after AMD in 2009 for breach with the GF deal. It is a win/win for Intel if AMD is bought or goes TU.

There was a thread with all this a few months back.

Poster is drawing from when the 780Ti was faster than the first Titan. People might be a bit hesitant this time around.

I'd also love to see redemption codes for at least $50 credit at each of the "big 3" digital delivery game services: Steam, Uplay, and Origin. Let the buyer choose what games they want instead of being dictated which games they must get/pick from.

Eew no Uplay. I'd be good with just +100 USD to Steam + those extras. But we know that likely won't happen. We might get a t-shirt + mousepad, at least I did w/the Titans I purchased before. Too bad they don't toss in game coupons w/those.

Haha thx.

What you say is half truth. DVI is an obvious nonsense and makes the card two slot width hard to reduce to single slot. But HDMI 2.0 is very useful for driving 4K TV. Now for the DisplayPort there are 3 connectors but I hope they provide DP 1.3 support, it will be possible then to use the card with 5K monitors.

Go look at what the 780Ti did to Titan that came just before it. The logic makes perfect sense if you're familiar with very recent nVidia history.

Eew no Uplay. I'd be good with just +100 USD to Steam + those extras. But we know that likely won't happen. We might get a t-shirt + mousepad, at least I did w/the Titans I purchased before. Too bad they don't toss in game coupons w/those.

Meh...Uplay has gotten a hell of a lot better to the point I've not had any problems with it since FC3 released, imo.

Steam is Steam: never had any major issues with it since creating an account when HL2 came out.

Origin works solidly, but I hate EA as a company because of what they did to my favorite franchises: Origin Systems/Ultima and Maxis/Sim City. ...and not releasing a PC version of NCAA Football for the better part of 2 decades. :mad: Alas, Origin is here to stay because a lot of people buy a lot of games from it.

That's why I think all three services should get a fair shake with each Titan X purchased. :)

Poster is drawing from when the 780Ti was faster than the first Titan. People might be a bit hesitant this time around.

I agree! Fool me once....

Really want to see actual performance of the X, especially compared to AMD's answer, before putting down a mortgage payment.

You are aware in the cross-license if AMD is bought out then they caused early termination of the agreement right? As a penalty in the agreement AMD would lose x86 and Intel would retain full access to x64 without the need for a new license agreement.

So Intel would not be paying any "new" licensing royalties. They would continue paying the current fees under the current agreement.

It is one of the reasons Intel went after AMD in 2009 for breach with the GF deal. It is a win/win for Intel if AMD is bought or goes TU.

There was a thread with all this a few months back.

well..

I doubt that Intel/AMD "new" x-license is any different than the old one in terms of section 6.2 and 8.2. They added items but very rarely do items get taken away especially when dealing with those two sections I mentioned.

FYI.. Intel tried to leverage 6.2a for breach of material with the whole GF shenanigans which is what you are talking about.

AMD being bought out clearly lands in Section 6.2b7 which is not a material breach. It is actually stated very clearly in black and white what they could do.
the other party undergoes a Change of Control
with a definition of what that means. In short, being bought out.

The whole GF debecale was the two peacocks showing off there feathers in the courts with AMD coming out of it 1.25bn ahead and all litigation dropped against Intel.

indeed it was a win/win for both companies.

Titan X's rumored MSRP was $1349. With 12GB of vram, yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it actually launched at that price.

The only speck on this beuty is the DVI connector. Why the hell they still put it???

Without the DVI it would be easy to make single slot watercooled Titan X and very compact 4-Way SLI :D.

BTW, is also a dual GPU Titan XX inevitable in the future???

That would be so sick. Reminds me of the 8800 series single slot cards. Those were pretty cool and sleek looking. I wonder if the DVI connector is soldered to the board. Most likely on that high end of the card. I know on some older lower end cards you can disconnect the VGA connector.

Ya the titan is 100% targeted at gamers who want the best card bragging rights. What you get by getting a titan is exclusivity, you basically get first access to new silicone before it even gets an official name. And for a while you get top end performance. The buy in at $1000 means you get to have something different. Its like Lincoln or Luxus for NVidia. Now that said for the right person the price may not be horrible if you consider the original titan it lasted as a high performance part for a very long time. At some point it wasn't the top performance but it was still up there in fact I bet most people running titans. But as always with GPUs you cannot predict the future so no one can assume this Titan X will last as long as the first Titan.

has there ever been 50% faster card to actually come out? 25%-30% will be a more optimistic guess. I want to know the size of the die though.

400+??? takers? over/under :D

has there ever been 50% faster card to actually come out? 25%-30% will be a more optimistic guess. I want to know the size of the die though.

8800 gtx vs. 7900 gtx is the last I recall.

FYI.. Intel tried to leverage 6.2a for breach of material with the whole GF shenanigans which is what you are talking about.

In my statement I never quoted or inferred the section Intel was using for their 2009 action. I merely referenced the 2009 suit to show if AMD breaches Intel retains x86 and x64 and Intel is fully willing to take AMD to court to get a breach approved. Whether justified or not.

You are still incorrect on your original statement:
Then Intel would be paying the new owners "new" licensing royalties for the AMD64 IP.

Intel would continue paying the same royalties as now until Intel ends the cross-license agreement or breaches the contract. No NEW licensing agreement/royalties would exist and the new owners of AMD would be blocked from making CPU's with x86 tech. Clear win for Intel if AMD is bought.

In an effort to keep this post on topic, I would love to continue this conversation in the last post it showed up in, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1849461&highlight=.

Titan X's rumored MSRP was $1349. With 12GB of vram, yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it actually launched at that price.

Not surprised by the rumored price. Titan's have always sat in their own little niche where few go.

If the Titan X is almost ready I would imagine NV already has a 980ti near ready just waiting to respond to anything AMD launches in the next few months.

I think you mean conservative guess. Unless you're team red. Then lower is optimistic.

Anywho, what I am hearing now is 8B vs 5.2B on the 980. 3072 cores vs 2048 on the 980. 50% more memory bandwidth.

Unless this is all garbage info I'll stick with 40-50% faster. They may have to down clock it a bit due to die size to increase yield.

I think I read the original Titan was gimped. Were they talking about the 14/15 of the cores or voltage or what? Anyone know? The laughing Hispanic guy in the one 970 video went on about it.

ummm

you are very aware that the x86 license is intels while the AMD64 is ...... AMD? Right?
That IP alone is worth a ton and Intel would not be that idiotic to let someone else scoop that up. Then Intel would be paying the new owners "new" licensing royalties for the AMD64 IP.

AMD's x86 license is none-transferable FYI.

No one buying AMD would get anything x86...read the license?

I think you mean conservative guess. Unless you're team red. Then lower is optimistic.

Anywho, what I am hearing now is 8B vs 5.2B on the 980. 3072 cores vs 2048 on the 980. 50% more memory bandwidth.

Unless this is all garbage info I'll stick with 40-50% faster. They may have to down clock it a bit due to die size to increase yield.

I think I read the original Titan was gimped. Were they talking about the 14/15 of the cores or voltage or what? Anyone know? The laughing Hispanic guy in the one 970 video went on about it.
The original TITAN only had 2688 CUDA cores and 224 TMUs enabled, while the full chip on the 780 Ti had 2880 cores and 240 TMUs. The TITAN also had its memory clocked at 1500 MHz compared to 1750 on the 780 Ti. This resulted in a bandwidth of 288.4 GB/s, 14% less than the 780 Ti at 336 GB/s.

The TITAN Black that was released later was the full chip that was used in the 780 Ti, with the addition of FP64.

What you say is half truth. DVI is an obvious nonsense and makes the card two slot width hard to reduce to single slot. But HDMI 2.0 is very useful for driving 4K TV.

Fair enough...but to have 4x DisplayPorts would still allow those who want to use an HDMI port with their TV to use an adapter, while permitting a nice four way monitor configuration for those who want to go that route. Many more 4k monitors have DisplayPort 1.2 inputs than have HDMI 2.0 inputs.

AMD's x86 license is none-transferable FYI.

No one buying AMD would get anything x86...read the license?

They could make it work, via reverse triangular merger or other crafty legal maneuvering. That the license agreement is non-transferable is not 100% impenetrable.

All that being said, I seriously doubt anybody is interest in acquiring AMD given current market conditions.

The original TITAN only had 2688 CUDA cores and 224 TMUs enabled, while the full chip on the 780 Ti had 2880 cores and 240 TMUs. The TITAN also had its memory clocked at 1500 MHz compared to 1750 on the 780 Ti. This resulted in a bandwidth of 288.4 GB/s, 14% less than the 780 Ti at 336 GB/s.

The TITAN Black that was released later was the full chip that was used in the 780 Ti, with the addition of FP64.

however the actual TITAN X should be compared to the GTX 980, as it already outperform the 780TI and TITAN BLACK with much less number in most specs, if people want to do the right maths them they should compare products in the same architecture.. So GTX980 vs TITAN X.. if not then its pointless....

The 780ti was based off the Titan chip IIRC. Both off the GK110 core. The 780ti had all cores unlocked where the Titan did not. Notice they said the Titan X is fully unlocked. I think they are trying to not screw over Titan users again. I think the 980ti will be slower this time.

Also to other posts. I doubt this is a dual GPU because it would be 10.4B transistors not 8.

I highly doubt the 390x will compete with this monster.
1.) the 390x would need ~60-75% increase over the 290x depending if the Titan X OCs like the 980s. I am assuming a 50% speed increase over the 980 due to the 52% more transistors. (Very basic perhaps ignorant assumption.) It's hard to imagine AMD pulling off that kind of increase but we shall see.
2.) for high end multi card users a major flaw of the 390x is the rumored to have only 4GB VRAM. It doesn't matter how fast it is, speed doesn't make it seem like it has more, once you run out you have to go over the PCIe bus which is relatively extremely slow.
3.) then there's the people that actually use DP performance, completely cards from that perspective.

Personally I think I'll wait for 980ti Classies.

Titan has always been that strange card that isnt quite a gaming card, nor a workstation card. Its ridiculous price puts it in a niche zone. 390x isnt supposed to compete with it, because there arent really many people that will buy the Titan in the first place, so why compete? I am sure the 395 chip will be plenty, even if its a dual chip on a single card.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself is it worth spending so much on the Titan?...

I think he was answering my question about in which way was the original Titan gimped. You're spot on we should be using the 980 as a baseline.

From what I gather the Titan X IS fully unlocked. It appears nVidia may actually learn from their mistakes?

however the actual TITAN X should be compared to the GTX 980, as it already outperform the 780TI and TITAN BLACK with much less number in most specs, if people want to do the right maths them they should compare products in the same architecture.. So GTX980 vs TITAN X.. if not then its pointless....

Titan has always been that strange card that isnt quite a gaming card, nor a workstation card. Its ridiculous price puts it in a niche zone. 390x isnt supposed to compete with it, because there arent really many people that will buy the Titan in the first place, so why compete? I am sure the 395 chip will be plenty, even if its a dual chip on a single card.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself is it worth spending so much on the Titan?...

More may sell than you think. $1,350 isn't a lot of money to a lot of people. That's less than a paycheck for ~30% of America. Considering how many hours gamers put on their hardware it sort of surprises me how cheap we can be. But $14k Disney cruise vacations... that is perfectly acceptable and gone in a week. :) So not to start a "value" debate, but my buddy just spent $20k on a track car, 7k to repair the frame.. ect. This is a cheap hobby compared to pretty much anything else.

I do agree with the statements that if you do not need the DP it's likely a good idea to wait for the non-DP GM200

Last edited:
They could make it work, via reverse triangular merger or other crafty legal maneuvering. That the license agreement is non-transferable is not 100% impenetrable.

All that being said, I seriously doubt anybody is interest in acquiring AMD given current market conditions.

You post like you haven't read the actual license...your "feelings" are not an argument.

The fact is:
Anyone buying AMD does not get any x86 license!

I see this myth posted again and again, it's annoying for the course of a debate to have to debunk false information over and over again.
Just stop.

It's a very nice card (love the 12GB), but the DVI connector and the HDMI connector is a waste of time.

They should just give us 4x DisplayPort 1.2 and call it a day. Those who want a DVI or HDMI connector can use an adapter. One easily can convert a DisplayPort 1.2 to either a DVI or HDMI, but you can't go from HDMI or DVI to a DisplayPort 1.2.

That being said, from the pictures I found, I can see at least 2x DisplayPort 1.2 connectors, with sufficient space on the bottom of the mounting bracket for a third (can't see for sure though).

Hopefully, as others have said, card makers will produce a 4x DisplayPort 1.2 version that can be converted to a single slot WC version.

The 295X2 will still be strong, but comparing a card that's water-cooled by default isn't an apples to apples comparison, IMHO. Best to compare a WC Titan X and then draw conclusions...;)

There has been tests comparing both with water cooling (previous generation Titan X) and the AMD completely destroyed the Titan in every single category. i think it would be a better test now to see how far nVidia has come, but at the price they are looking for the AMD may still be a bargain. As for water cooling not being fair...hey all is fair when it comes to performance and if nVidia wants to compete then produce a product the will natch up even if a water cooling solution is needed. AMD did it...

There has been tests comparing both with water cooling (previous generation Titan X) and the AMD completely destroyed the Titan in every single category. i think it would be a better test now to see how far nVidia has come, but at the price they are looking for the AMD may still be a bargain. As for water cooling not being fair...hey all is fair when it comes to performance and if nVidia wants to compete then produce a product the will natch up even if a water cooling solution is needed. AMD did it...

Most benchmarks compare the cards in their stock cooling configurations. I'd prefer an air cooled solution by default, with the end user can opting to water cool as they wish. The integrated AIO cooler (as used on the 295X2) is definitely NOT the best solution for multiple cards, and if someone wants to use three or four cards in a system, an integrated cooler can very quickly become a significant impediment to an install. I think if either AMD or NVidia want a water cooled option, they should offer a branded kit with an AIO cooler that people can purchase and install if they want or officially approve certain aftermarket components (like EVGA currently does with their Hydro Edition).

The stock cards, however, should remain air cooled.

The ~50% increase in transistors means next to nothing about performance, it just means that they have a 600-620mm2 GPU on their hands.

The 50% increase in actual specs is what can be used to determine performance.
That means peformance will be ~40% better than the GTX980.

Now clockspeed, the larger you make a GPU, the more variables there are with voltage and speed. You typically don't clock as high as the smaller GPUs in the family. Obviously Maxwell 2 has made some significant strides in the clockspeed department but I would expect a ~10% decrease in clocks compared to GTX980.

So 30-35% over GTX980 seems about right.
That leaves room for a GTX980Ti to be ~15% better than GTX980.

Not surprised by the rumored price. Titan's have always sat in their own little niche where few go.

If the Titan X is almost ready I would imagine NV already has a 980ti near ready just waiting to respond to anything AMD launches in the next few months.

Sounds about right, twice the cost of a 980 + 8GB more VRAM (counted at about $150 per 4GB)

The ~50% increase in transistors means next to nothing about performance, it just means that they have a 600-620mm2 GPU on their hands.

The 50% increase in actual specs is what can be used to determine performance.
That means peformance will be ~40% better than the GTX980.

Now clockspeed, the larger you make a GPU, the more variables there are with voltage and speed. You typically don't clock as high as the smaller GPUs in the family. Obviously Maxwell 2 has made some significant strides in the clockspeed department but I would expect a ~10% decrease in clocks compared to GTX980.

So 30-35% over GTX980 seems about right.
That leaves room for a GTX980Ti to be ~15% better than GTX980.

I liked 40-50% better. But I cannot argue with your logic.

I liked 40-50% better. But I cannot argue with your logic.

It could definitely reach up to 40-50% better in some situations but IMO, on average, it will be a bit lower than that since scaling is never 100%.
Unless there was some glaring bottleneck in GM204 that they resolved in GM200/210... But I think most of us believe that GM204 is a very well balanced GPU.

I am still saving money to buy the first GTX Titan!

Come on nVidia, most gamers can't drop a grand every year on a new graphics card!

Most benchmarks compare the cards in their stock cooling configurations. I'd prefer an air cooled solution by default, with the end user can opting to water cool as they wish. The integrated AIO cooler (as used on the 295X2) is definitely NOT the best solution for multiple cards, and if someone wants to use three or four cards in a system, an integrated cooler can very quickly become a significant impediment to an install. I think if either AMD or NVidia want a water cooled option, they should offer a branded kit with an AIO cooler that people can purchase and install if they want or officially approve certain aftermarket components (like EVGA currently does with their Hydro Edition).

The stock cards, however, should remain air cooled.

Yeah but that was not what you said originally and the water solution on the AMD is 100% stock. You said to compare water to air is like apples and oranges and i feel in this case it is stock vs stock. I have used many water solutions for my GPU's over the years and the difference in cooling is negligible at best. Just sayin...

I have used many water solutions for my GPU's over the years and the difference in cooling is negligible at best. Just sayin...

Ummm what?
A 10-20C delta for water vs a 40-50C delta for air is negligible?

Must be user error.

Come on nVidia, most gamers can't drop a grand every year on a new graphics card!

The original Titan pretty much proved that Nvidia doesn't care about most gamers at this point. They care about having the best card knowing AMD can't beat it for months or a year later, forcing their adversary to constantly react to them, and controlling the market 3 to 1. The x90 products used to be a niche thing. Nvidia found a way to integrate the dual chip into a single and make it a regular line up card.

As greedy as the bastards are you have to pat them on the back for conditioning us to believe $600, $750, and $999 cards are a normal thing in every generation lineup. Anyone who thinks the Titan, or anything else they call it, isn't apart of the intended lineup is fooling themselves.

You post like you haven't read the actual license...your "feelings" are not an argument.

The fact is:
Anyone buying AMD does not get any x86 license!

I see this myth posted again and again, it's annoying for the course of a debate to have to debunk false information over and over again.
Just stop.

Erm I'm not sure my feelings ever came in to play. There are many ways to skin a cat however:

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rtm.asp

There are many ways to skin a cat however:
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rtm.asp

That is also blocked by the cross-license wording.

The Titan is not made for most gamers. It is a niche card aimed at a very small group of enthusiasts.

Price is all relative my friend.

A person could argue if people didn't buy the cards at the high prices they wouldn't exist. If AMD produced a faster card at half the price of the Titan you might see a more reasonable price.

The market obviously allows for NV to get away with it.

You will hear the exact same complaint for all high end goods from any markets. The outrageous priced items exist because someone will buy them and limited or no competition exists.

Last edited:
Ummm what?
A 10-20C delta for water vs a 40-50C delta for air is negligible?

Must be user error.

Agreed, if you are using water and getting negligible difference in temps between it and an air setup, you aren't doing something right.

Back