NVIDIA Unveils The Titan X At GDC 2015

Anand states only a 12.5% increase.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9049/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-titan-x
Then again, they have 2 Titan blacks in their spec sheet...

Yeah, a 980 has 5.2B so Titan X is a 52% increase. I only compare the same architectures... Comparing to Kepler is kinda silly.

The smart thing is waiting for a 980ti that'll probably be 6GB and a lot cheaper. Titan X would be tempting at the normal $1k. If it's 1.35k that's way too far off the value curve for me. Even 1k would be pushing it...

Last edited:
1300 would be a bit much for my tastes. I'd upgrade for 1000 though..depending on what AMD comes out with. Currently this titan is still great at 1440p and there really is a lack of good games right now to justify the upgrade.

R9 390X release must be very near for Nvidia to time this announcement to attempt to deflate it.

Cool, but stupidly expensive, $1000-1350.

390x's are probably going to be $750'ish and just 1 of those is going to be close to a Titan X performance based on early benchmarks. Or even more performance.
So a 395x2 towards end of year will obliterate this card and cost $1500 instead of $2400+ avg. for two of these.

I'm an Nvidia fan though, so this is disturbing news. This thing needs to cost $750 tops to compete with 390x. If it can't cost that low, then it shouldn't have been 12GB. 8GB would have been fine.
People say 4GB of HBM mem on the 390x's isn't enough, but that's a new type of memory with extreme bandwidth, so we need to see in depth reviews of it to see if 4GB of HBM is actually = to 6-8 of GDDR.

That's cool you have so much inside information like reputable benchmarks for either card and MSRP's. I (and everyone on this planet but you) haven't seen official prices or any sort of (legit) benchmarks anywhere on this Titan X or AMD's next offering.

The funny thing is people are making baseless assumptions about price and performance yet Nvidia could do anything. This could cost anywhere between $700-3000, could have performance that blows or blows everything out of the water.

Hell Nvidia could release this thing for $599 and literally take AMD out of the high end video card game like Intel has basically done with CPUs. Sure they would take a loss today (cannibalize their own market) but in the long run they would rule the land.

$1k would in my opinion make the Titan compare favourably vs SLI 980's, the 12GB VRAM as a starter is a plus, and I usually favor single card over SLI if the performance difference is indeed around 50% better than single 980 (as a rough average, I generally assume two card SLI scale 50% across the board). Another huge plus is that SLI Titans should scale much better than Quad 980's.

If the above was true, there is no single viable reason to get a 980 anymore for any reason, unless 980's fall in price to say around $450 or less.

Perhaps, just perhaps... 4k is finally fully playable with SLI Titans?

My source says intended release price will be at $1300

My source says it's going to be released at $300. At least I'll give my source though; it's my wife and I asked her how much she thought a ludicrously priced video card is.

This thread is utterly comical. So many "insiders." Let's all calm down and wait a week as Nvidia is notorious for announcing and then trickling out details fairly quickly.

If the above was true, there is no single viable reason to get a 980 anymore for any reason, unless 980's fall in price to say around $450 or less.

More reasonable price?
Not a bad reason, strange you missed it.

This is a trap.
In 3 months, NVIDIA will release a 6GB variant that will cost twice as less will performing similarly.

Also keep in mind that 6GB is more than enough and 12GB is currently an overkill.

If NVIDIA did put the Titan X at $600 and then dropped 980 to say $350 or less, 970 to $250 it would probably be time to say goodbye to AMD forever. Their 24% market share would plummet to about 10% and they'd be ruined. I'm honestly surprised that a cash flush NVIDIA hasn't done that already. Is there a reason they might need AMD to stick around?

Titan is such a waste of money. I remember people spending ridiculous amounts of money on them and when the 980 came out it pretty much cut the price in half. Waste of money unless you ACTUALLY going to use them for their intended purpose.

If NVIDIA did put the Titan X at $600 and then dropped 980 to say $350 or less, 970 to $250 it would probably be time to say goodbye to AMD forever. Their 24% market share would plummet to about 10% and they'd be ruined. I'm honestly surprised that a cash flush NVIDIA hasn't done that already. Is there a reason they might need AMD to stick around?

Running around a track by yourself get rather boring plus people in the stands will just leave. Racing around the track with a competitor whipping their ass is way more fun plus entertaining to the viewers. AMD has some stuff coming out, hopefully it will be exciting.

Running around a track by yourself get rather boring plus people in the stands will just leave. Racing around the track with a competitor whipping their ass is way more fun plus entertaining to the viewers. AMD has some stuff coming out, hopefully it will be exciting.

Hmm well with Jen Hsun's narcissistic personality, it wouldn't be too far fetched for him to want to see AMD squirm before killing it out of pleasure. If this 390x shows up with a CLC and Titan X and then 980 Ti matches or beats it in performance on air, well RIP AMD. Nobody in their right mind will go multicard with a CLC based card unless they already have water cooling and plan to add blocks to it. Then there's also OC headroom (which I doubt 390x will have much to spare) and power usage which puts 390x out of reach for ITX users.

My source says it's going to be released at $300. At least I'll give my source though; it's my wife and I asked her how much she thought a ludicrously priced video card is.

This thread is utterly comical. So many "insiders." Let's all calm down and wait a week as Nvidia is notorious for announcing and then trickling out details fairly quickly.

What I was told was accurate regarding the 960 release.

There will be a Titan X, a Titan, and 980 Ti coming soon. So whatever you want to believe go for it and continue to be a douche. I am not an insider, just have a friend that works for Nvidia that does a lot of work preparing product launches on the marketing end.

I think Samsung would buy AMD out before AMD went under and that would be trouble for Nvidia because Samsung can make the hardware for cheaper since they manufacturer their own chips and memory. Nvidia needs to outsource. So I think Nvidia wants to keep AMD around.

We will never see a Titan for $600. I wish we could, but I think the last "cheap" Titan was the Titan Black. Unless they surprise us with releasing this Titan X at $1000, I highly doubt it though.

What I was told was accurate regarding the 960 release.

There will be a Titan X, a Titan, and 980 Ti coming soon. So whatever you want to believe go for it and continue to be a douche. I am not an insider, just have a friend that works for Nvidia that does a lot of work preparing product launches on the marketing end.

So did your insider friend give you a release date on 980 Ti?

I think Samsung would buy AMD out before AMD went under and that would be trouble for Nvidia because Samsung can make the hardware for cheaper since they manufacturer their own chips and memory. Nvidia needs to outsource. So I think Nvidia wants to keep AMD around.

We will never see a Titan for $600. I wish we could, but I think the last "cheap" Titan was the Titan Black. Unless they surprise us with releasing this Titan X at $1000, I highly doubt it though.

That's a good point, I didn't think of it from a buyout angle. I doubt Samsung would be the one to buy AMD though because there's nothing AMD could offer Samsung. Samsung isn't a discrete GPU maker and with the AIB attach rates shrinking, it would be a bad business decision to enter that market despite being flush with cash. AMD would lose their x86 patent so really they have nothing to offer besides some GPU patents which Samsung may or may not be able to use for their Exynos chipset. I think if Samsung did take over AMD, it would still free up the AIB market for NVIDIA completely. But in all likelihood, based on recent rumors, some Chinese company would probably buy up AMD or invest heavily in it which would make it a more viable competitor against NVIDIA.

In any case, I'm willing to drop up to $1300 on Titan X or a 6 GB Titan for $1k if they have that.

Then there's also OC headroom (which I doubt 390x will have much to spare) and power usage which puts 390x out of reach for ITX users.

This man gets it, my M1 would never take a CLC card. I need something that can run on AIR god dammit! :D

I'm hoping the 980Ti comes out before summer time but I won't be holding my breath.

I didnt ask, I basically confirmed with him that I am too poor to buy one of the new cards coming out.

So then how would such segmentation work? I'm guessing Titan X would be 384 bit, 12 gb vram. Titan would be the same specs but 6 GB vram. And 980 Ti would have to be what, 256 bit + 4 gb and replace the current GM204? I can't picture nvidia releasing 980 Ti with 6 GB because it would make Titan pointless if there is indeed 3 new top end cards coming.

Titan at $600??
If you believe that you are on crack or crazy.
I expect the price to lie in the range of $1,200.

The Titan is the type of luxury item for which if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

More reasonable price?
Not a bad reason, strange you missed it.

980's price is anything but IMHO. But I was comparing Titan X's assumed price of $1000 to SLI 980's. At that price, if Titan X is indeed 40~50% more powerful than a single 980, then Titan X would be IMO a better buy than SLI 980's due to the massive VRAM and I generally treat SLI scaling to be around 50% when comparing single GPU to SLI configurations. Plus two Titans in SLI would probably scale better than Quad SLI'ing 980's together compared to 2x SLI.

Take this with sea of salt, since it is entirely assumptions regarding Titan X.

Titan at $600??
If you believe that you are on crack or crazy.
I expect the price to lie in the range of $1,200.

The Titan is the type of luxury item for which if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

Nobody said it was $600. Re-read the post and then understand the context of the conversation.

that article a month or two back has been right on the money about the specs (and name) of the card thus far, so i'm just going to assume the price of $1350 was correct as well. yes, you're paying a premium. is it a waste of money? not to me. if you can't afford it, that sucks.

that article a month or two back has been right on the money about the specs (and name) of the card thus far, so i'm just going to assume the price of $1350 was correct as well. yes, you're paying a premium. is it a waste of money? not to me. if you can't afford it, that sucks.

I can afford it, I'm just not going to pay the kind of price (and never will) for a card that will be surpassed by a cheaper one in 6-8 months. I draw the line at anything that far over common sense.

I can afford it, I'm just not going to pay the kind of price (and never will) for a card that will be surpassed by a cheaper one in 6-8 months. I draw the line at anything that far over common sense.

that's cool. you're more than entitled to that opinion. i've been sitting on this 780ti just waiting for the next 'big card' so i'm ready to throw money at something.

fact is, you'll never be able to buy a card and feel good about it forever.

Yeah when a video card is more that a mortgage payment I'm out. It just seems like something that in a year or two will lose its shiny and then you're going to crave the newest thing.

If you need it for work or whatever then that's a different story of course.

Hmm damn fiscal responsibility. If I was single I'd buy one for my rig. Then I'd buy one to snuggle at night. Perhaps one for my key chain.

nVidia's pretty much made themselves into a status symbol... Half the reason they get away with 60%GM and AMD is at 30%.

But to be honest, perhaps I am a hypocrite because at $1,000 it's actually a better value than my 980 vs 970 purchase. :) Cheaper $/FPS increase. Let's see where price and performance land...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this card will cost at least $1500, I'm guessing it will be at least 40% faster than the GTX 980. That 12GB of VRAM does sound nice though.

Yeah, a 980 has 5.2B so Titan X is a 52% increase. I only compare the same architectures... Comparing to Kepler is kinda silly.

The smart thing is waiting for a 980ti that'll probably be 6GB and a lot cheaper. Titan X would be tempting at the normal $1k. If it's 1.35k that's way too far off the value curve for me. Even 1k would be pushing it...

I have to be carefull now...people get confused, when looking besides PR and only at the technical aspects.

GF110 -> GK110 -> GM200 = NVIDIA's high end SKU progression.
All high SKUend have +256 bit memory bus and a die size above 500mm²

GF114 -> GK104 - > GM204 = NVIDIA's midrage SKU progression
All midrage SKU's have 256bit memory bit bus and a diesize ~300mm²

(Some people will now lose it because they cannot understand how the GTX680 and the GTX980 could be midrange?!)

Is there any confirmation that this is a single GPU card? Because, well, 12GB of VRAM for a single GPU seems like an absolute waste right now, imo. I am highly doubtful that this new GM200 packs enough punch for the extreme eye candy and resolution settings to actually have the need for that much VRAM while keeping frame rates out of stutterville.

I guess we can all hope Nvida or one of the vendors, will give away a card here on the forums.

So I can enter and not win :)

Is there any confirmation that this is a single GPU card? Because, well, 12GB of VRAM for a single GPU seems like an absolute waste right now, imo.

A waste.. for computer games. But then Titans are not really targeted at gamers. Think professional graphics and developers. Example, the Shadow of Mordor devs used Titans to run uncompressed textures while making the game, which they then scaled down per platform.

A waste.. for computer games. But then Titans are not really targeted at gamers. Think professional graphics.

But what if you're running a triple 4k monitor setup?!

3 titan x's all the way.

the people that bought the earlier Titan cards were disappointed when Nvidia released a cheaper non-Titan but excellent performing card a few weeks/months later...what will be any different this time?...wait for the 980 Ti which will be close to Titan X's performance with less VRAM

Back