NVIDIA Unveils The Titan X At GDC 2015

Um I was simply responding to this post:

It doesn't "require" water cooling... that is simply what AMD decided to go with for reference.
There are aircoolers that can handle the 295x2.

Simply pointing out an air cooled version of 295X2 exists, and while temps aren't spectacular, they're acceptable when put in context.

Titan X costs like two GTX980 cards that perform much better, is it a good choice?
Why it costs so much?

I'm happy with the Titan X. Right now hitting 1425 on the core / 8000 on the ram (didn't try higher yet) and in firestrike 21k graphics / 16.1k overall. I'm still on my 3770k though. For reference I was getting 15.5k graphics & 12.8k overall with my 980 around 1500 Mhz with the same setup

35% OC vs. OC.

Now all I need is a waterblock and I can crank the voltage.

I'm also on Windows 7. I heard Windows 8 scores a bit higher.

Tops out at 70C with the fan cranked. Honestly at stock you can't hear it.

Last edited:
I'm happy with the Titan X. Right now hitting 1425 on the core / 8000 on the ram (didn't try higher yet) and in firestrike 21k graphics / 16.1k overall. I'm still on my 3770k though. For reference I was getting 15.5k graphics & 12.8k overall with my 980 around 1500 Mhz with the same setup

35% OC vs. OC.

Not sure how much a water block is going to help you. I'm sure it will run cooler and quieter but from what I've been reading, you'll hit a TDP limit rather quick.

Not sure how much a water block is going to help you. I'm sure it will run cooler and quieter but from what I've been reading, you'll hit a TDP limit rather quick.

I already BIOs modded that problem away. :D

35% OC vs. OC.

If you're topping out at 70C on air, watercooling won't help you much since you're not limited by thermals.

As I said previously you have a 300W board power limit. Once you start cranking voltage on such a monstrous die you'll hit that power limit in no time. But yes you can run it out of spec 295X2 style.

You can change the 300W when you mod the BIOs which I think you recognized above. I am not hitting any limits. I just don't want to increase voltage until I get it underwater. I had to do the same to my reference 980 or it'd top out in the low 1400s.

Just lowering the temp will let you push it further without even increasing voltage.

Anywho how did Guru3D change the voltage in afterburner. Golden sample? (Or less cynical maybe early rev..)This thing has the voltage locked within the BIOs itself as far as I can tell which is a pain in the ass.

I was just happy my graphics score increased 35% OC to OC. Not exactly apples to apples since I had an AIO on the 980.

Last edited:
Eh fair enough. I just always feel a bit funny when going outside of PCIe specs.

Does the titan X support a cheap solution for dual link DVI. I currently have almost all DL DVI monitors and have not need to replace them. I need at least 2 DL-DVI outputs.

Just for shits and giggles I cranked the fan and Precision X allows you to change voltage a bit.. so ramped it from 1.15V (that's really low for stock!) to 1.225 and got up to 1500 Mhz. I can't wait to get this thing under water.... I was hitting 126% TDP or 315W.

ooo just noticed I am hitting power limit. I don't care enough to change it until I have these under water which I'll up the voltage too... BIOs flashing makes me hold my breath every time.

Honestly it seems to OC on par with my 980, if not a little better. You just need to be able to control the insane amount of heat.

Last edited:
I was drunk posting again and made this post in the wrong thread....

Anywho you definitely want the Titan X underwater. You also shouldn't be afraid of BIOs modding, obviously it has some risks. This is [H] so I assume we all like some risk. :D

Last edited:
How do water-cooled TitanX overclocks compare to water-cooled 980 overclocks? Is anyone getting 1550/8000+ with these?

~1400 seems to be the highest people are reporting this early, but I haven't found more than a handful of results and none under water.

I think the real world performance gain over a 980, if both are overclocked and the TitanX runs out of room at 10-15% lower core and memory clocks, won't really justify upgrades?

How do water-cooled TitanX overclocks compare to water-cooled 980 overclocks? Is anyone getting 1550/8000+ with these?

~1400 seems to be the highest people are reporting this early, but I haven't found more than a handful of results and none under water.

I think the real world performance gain over a 980, if both are overclocked and the TitanX runs out of room at 10-15% lower core and memory clocks, won't really justify upgrades?

I got 1500/8000 Mhz. That's my max core on air at 1.225V (lower than 980 stock voltage I believe). My memory might be able to go higher but I haven't done enough runs. I'm about 38% higher performance than my 980 max OC which was on a AIO water right now.

If I'm going to spend $1k to put my system under water I'd rather do it with the top card than save a few bucks. 38% is pretty significant since my 980 was borderline 60 FPS for a lot of games. Now I'll be around 83 FPS. In addition I bought a second card since I'm going from a 1920x1200 monitor to 3440x1440.

So it all depends on your goals/budget, but I think Titan X makes sense for me. I spend <3% of my income (ignoring my wife's income) on my hobby... that's a pretty cheap hobby IMO. Running/lifting doesn't count, that's basically free.

If you don't BIOs mod it you'll likely be stuck around 1400 Mhz due to TDP so that's likely why you've been seeing most around 1400 Mhz. Since the base clock is lower than the 980 you'll still maintain decent margin (the OC % should be similar). On air it gets moderately loud around 1400 Mhz with the blower, at 1500 Mhz you have to run it at 100%.... so you really want to water cool it for a high OC.

Last edited:
As we continue to gather more data, it'll be interesting to see how well/long these overclocks hold up in various scenarios before throttling down due to either temp or TDP limit. Obviously with a BIOS mod and better cooling you could potentially avoid any throttling at all, but for folks like myself who get nervous at flashing a $500, much less a $1000 one, it's not exactly a thrilling prospect.

Is it just me or did the page counter on this thread get messed up? I'm perpetually "stuck" on the second last page, even though I see all the new posts.

Is it just me or did the page counter on this thread get messed up? I'm perpetually "stuck" on the second last page, even though I see all the new posts.

Forum cratered yesterday, then when back up, things weren't updating right, then posting lead to database errors. They are probably working on it now.

anyone with a titan x getting a stupid amount of tearing in chrome? not yet sure if it's the latest drivers or the card swap (780ti -> titan x) but it's starting to drive me insane.
EDIT: nevermind, aero was stuck off.

Last edited:
As we continue to gather more data, it'll be interesting to see how well/long these overclocks hold up in various scenarios before throttling down due to either temp or TDP limit. Obviously with a BIOS mod and better cooling you could potentially avoid any throttling at all, but for folks like myself who get nervous at flashing a $500, much less a $1000 one, it's not exactly a thrilling prospect.

Why so nervous? Flashing a BIOS really isn't that big of a deal. Even if you mess up you can switch to onboard/secondary GPU and flash it back. There are dangers, but so long as you take your time editing and be careful it's really not that scary. ;)

Just always, ALWAYS backup your BIOS first and put it on 2 or 3 external storage devices.

As we continue to gather more data, it'll be interesting to see how well/long these overclocks hold up in various scenarios before throttling down due to either temp or TDP limit.

Well in my experience of a quick and dirty overclock (boost at 1366 on both cards, 8000 ram) my temps haven't went above 77c with a very conservative fan profile running 3dmark 11, valley and heaven. Though I do have an FT-02 with ap-182s at 900rpm. Ambient temperature is 24c.

I could see poor air flow having issues. I was actually concerned when I saw the temps on TomsHardware's review.

Well in my experience of a quick and dirty overclock (boost at 1366 on both cards, 8000 ram) my temps haven't went above 77c with a very conservative fan profile running 3dmark 11, valley and heaven. Though I do have an FT-02 with ap-182s at 900rpm. Ambient temperature is 24c.

I could see poor air flow having issues. I was actually concerned when I saw the temps on TomsHardware's review.

Were you able to maintain that OC or did it throttle due to the TDP wall?

i've got mine at 1387/8000 and yes, it does start to throttle without any bios modifications. hovers between 1374-1367. honestly, the thing is a monster at those clocks. gets a little toasty in my air 240, 80c with 65% fan. probably going to see about getting some blocks and a loop.

So when's nV going to drop the prices on the 980s? Do we have to wait for the 390X for that to happen?

Were you able to maintain that OC or did it throttle due to the TDP wall?

TBH it literally just sits at 1366 boost without me even touching power target, the power % actually sits around 89-95% with those clocks. This this weekend I'm going to do some proper overclocking, probably after work tonight. I do think a 4670k @ 4.6 actually may bottleneck this setup atleast until DX12 releases, though by then I'll hopefully be on Skylake. If it actually comes out this summer.

tacos4me said:
i've got mine at 1387/8000 and yes, it does start to throttle without any bios modifications. hovers between 1374-1367. honestly, the thing is a monster at those clocks. gets a little toasty in my air 240, 80c with 65% fan. probably going to see about getting some blocks and a loop.
What's your asic quality out of curiosity? Both my cards are 70%

When they release their Titan X Junior (GTX 980ti). . . the Titan X w/ 6GB lopped off.

I'd also suspect it'll have 2560 cores, 160 Texture Units, and 80 ROPs ...right in between the 980 and Titan X (while retaining the larger 384bit bus of the new Titan).

Something a bit odd has been posted on the AT forums regarding the Titan X and the temperature it runs its memory at. THG has thermal images of the Titan X and from this photo, it shows the memory operating at 102° C. Which is MUCH hotter than I can ever recall GDDR5 running at:

01-PCB.jpg

And yet according to the spec sheet, it is only rated up to 85° C. (H5GQ4H24MFR-R2C)

W8RMJW7.jpg

Is the Titan X really running its memory over 17° C above its rated redline temp? And it appears that those photos were taken when the Titan X was on an open bench, not installed in a closed case. How much hotter will the memory get once it's installed? If these temps and the spec sheet are accurate, does this mean Titan X owners can expect premature memory related errors or outright memory failure?

Last edited:
Someone over at OCN got an 87% gpu that runs 1500+ with no extra voltage.

Last edited:
Will the whole DSR global setting work for "odd" resolutions like 3440 x 1440 ?

I read this floating around:
"The DSR thing is amazing. A global super sampling feature that gives you simulated 4k quality on a 1080p screen."

But do you have to be running a 'normal' aspect ratio, like 1080p or 2560 x 1440, or people like me who run 3440 x 1440 benefit from this super secret nvidia control panel setting too ??

And is it actually noticeable in game?

i'm up to 1450/4000 (+260/+500) now in a few games without hitting power limit. that's about it on the stock voltage for me.

Will the whole DSR global setting work for "odd" resolutions like 3440 x 1440 ?

I read this floating around:
"The DSR thing is amazing. A global super sampling feature that gives you simulated 4k quality on a 1080p screen."

But do you have to be running a 'normal' aspect ratio, like 1080p or 2560 x 1440, or people like me who run 3440 x 1440 benefit from this super secret nvidia control panel setting too ??

And is it actually noticeable in game?

Yes it will work and yes it looks amazing.

Something a bit odd has been posted on the AT forums regarding the Titan X and the temperature it runs its memory at. THG has thermal images of the Titan X and from this photo, it shows the memory operating at 102° C. Which is MUCH hotter than I can ever recall GDDR5 running at:

And yet according to the spec sheet, it is only rated up to 85° C. (H5GQ4H24MFR-R2C)

Is the Titan X really running its memory over 17° C above its rated redline temp? And it appears that those photos were taken when the Titan X was on an open bench, not installed in a closed case. How much hotter will the memory get once it's installed? If these temps and the spec sheet are accurate, does this mean Titan X owners can expect premature memory related errors or outright memory failure?

Clearly NVIDIA is going over spec and aren't aware of electronics thermal tolerances (maybe they got their degrees at ITT tech institute), better call them and let them know! Better yet, they should hire you and that guy from AT to design future cards for them. If by chance something fails on these cards, NVIDIA backs them up with 3 years warranty and partners like EVGA offer up to 5 years of warranty. So it's hardly anything to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Back