Nvidia "unlaunches" the 4080 12GB

My moneys on them renaming it to the 4080Ti and confusing people even more.

In all seriousness, I think they pulled it not because of the name or the community. I think they probably got information on the RX 7800 and it wasn't competitive.
Nvidia has a mole at AMD? 😂

My moneys on them renaming it to the 4080Ti and confusing people even more.

In all seriousness, I think they pulled it not because of the name or the community. I think they probably got information on the RX 7800 and it wasn't competitive.
I'm not sure I understand the logic here, why would they pull their weakest card because AMD isn't competitive? Genuinely asking I don't get it. I think they know their sales are bad since the crypto collapse and the 4080 12 gb is a tough sell.

I ment the 12gb 4080 isn't competitive. English is my first language and I just suck at it.
Oh no worries, I was confused. I'm just going to sit back and watch prices collapse, people aren't buying luxury items for the most part.

Last edited:
Industrial espionage very much happens. I'm sure both companies do everything they can to keep tabs on the competition - how else would they manage to make their tiers match up every generation?

Has it been confirmed that the 4080 16GB (AD103) and 4080 12GB (AD104) use the same physical die?

If they're physically different then it's not out of the question that AD104 will show up as the 4060 or 4070. Seems like an easy solution for Nvidia. Just shift any unannounced products down the stack in name (i.e. 4070 becomes 4060, etc.) The only thing being revised here is marketing and product packaging (labels).

I don't think people are going to be buying these at scalper prices. NVIDIA is getting very greedy, especially during this globally craptastic economy. I'm personally waiting for the 4090 TI MX Super GFX RGB STD HIV WTF BBQ Limited Edition.

Isn't the first time that a certain card hard many variants that performed differently. Remember the SE and LE cards?

Industrial espionage very much happens. I'm sure both companies do everything they can to keep tabs on the competition - how else would they manage to make their tiers match up every generation?
I'm sure they have some sort of general idea of what each other is doing, but how much is hard to say.

I think they probably got information on the RX 7800 and the 12-GB 4080 wasn't competitive.
All of this information is useless in a void. Our initial understanding is that the 4090 is way out in front of anything that AMD is going to have next gen.
I am.... not a fan of nVidia to say the least, but I have to admit that this is the greatest generational leap in 10+ years. I find it incredibly unlikely that AMD will have anything close to what nVidia is pushing at the top end.

The 4080 is obviously a bad value. But I think this has way more to do with PR than anything. Because nVidia has stacks of 3 series cards it needs to sell, being called out at large for no speed improvements and a massive cost increase is a big problem for them. Particularly when they're called out for it.
Anyway, that to say, they wouldn't really need to react to AMD otherwise. Even if they knew that the 7800 (or whatever it will be called) was going to be faster than the 4080, they could simply leapfrog it with a 4080 Ti and leap frog it. Job done. So, again, I think this is more about PR and presentation than being strictly worried about competition.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Is anyone else blown-away that Nvidia actually took the high-road and did the right thing this time?

It's still kind of funny that some people want to criticize them for this move also. I guess you can never make everyone happy. Or is it that some people aren't willing to admit that they have some kind of grudge against Nvidia or that they have simply become jaded?

benchmarks already showed it's not meaningfully better than a 3080 with a small overclock

I’m pretty sure they both know at least a little bit on what the other is up to. They might not know specific model names and pricing though so maybe AMD surprised Nvidia and they have to modify their product stack.

Or maybe it was all bluff to begin with. 🤔

It could just be a power struggle with AIBs (and almost always planned to never actually launch an $900 xx70 card) that we overanalyse to be otherwise (new infos on what AMD are doing, new market info gained by the sales launch, etc...)

Thank God they came to their senses. The 4080 12 GB was just a 4070.

They need to also lower the price of the 4080 16GB. It should be at that price they were going to sell the 12GB for, or even lower.

Because remember last gen the 3080 was $799 and the 3090 was $1499 or so. Literally the 80 was half the price or very close to that.

Because remember last gen the 3080 was $799
I think it was "$699" which was around $800 in 2022 money and that's without China special Tariff on GPU (25%) that could back this December I think, that said maybe so few of them were sold at that $700 price tag that your $799 is maybe more realist.

I think in this market, a $999 version would sales extremely well, not sure if they would need to go lower than that, depend on AMD launch of course.

Because remember last gen the 3080 was $799 and the 3090 was $1499 or so. Literally the 80 was half the price or very close to that.
But that $1500 price tag for a 3090 made no sense from a gaming perspective, it cannot be that used in the framing (like the $1999 3090 TI), the 3090 being announced has more than twice a 3080 didn't match the relative performance at all.

All of this information is useless in a void. Our initial understanding is that the 4090 is way out in front of anything that AMD is going to have next gen.
Not according to the rumors I've been hearing. Maybe Nvidia takes the very top, but not by a large margin.

I think it was "$699" which was around $800 in 2022 money and that's without China special Tariff on GPU (25%) that could back this December I think, that said maybe so few of them were sold at that $700 price tag that your $799 is maybe more realist.

I think in this market, a $999 version would sales extremely well, not sure if they would need to go lower than that, depend on AMD launch of course.

But that $1500 price tag for a 3090 made no sense from a gaming perspective, it cannot be that used in the framing (like the $1999 3090 TI), the 3090 being announced has more than twice a 3080 didn't match the relative performance at all.

Good reply thanks.

Not even talking money pricing but % of performance for the price.

The 3090 was only 10% to 15% faster than the 3080, but cost a whopping 100% more.

Now rumors say the 4080 16GB is approx. only 30% to 40% faster than the original 3080. So that means no way should nVidia sell the 4080 16GB @ $1200,it should be priced significantly lower.

My point the 3080 and 3090 performance wise were very close less than 20% apart but the cost was 100% apart.

But now the 4080 will be even further apart performance wise from the 4090 so based on past history it ( 4080 ) should be even cheaper then

Last edited:

It's probably not even that sinister. AMD and Nvidia's headquarters are both in Santa Clara, California. I'd imagine that this stuff gets discussed at backyard BBQs after a few beers are drunk and they forget that they signed an NDA about this stuff.

Thank God they came to their senses. The 4080 12 GB was just a 4070.

They need to also lower the price of the 4080 16GB. It should be at that price they were going to sell the 12GB for, or even lower.

I'd imagine that someone is currently printing up a big batch of "GeForce 4070 Ti" stickers to cover up the GeForce 4080 logo on these 12 GB cards right now. :)

I'd imagine that someone is currently printing up a big batch of "GeForce 4070 Ti" stickers to cover up the GeForce 4080 logo on these 12 GB cards right now. :)

I bet they use that die from the 4050 all the way to 4070Ti and adjust the "cores" based on defect rate and adjust the memory speeds, etc. 192-bit bus is a joke for a near "flagship" card like a XX80.

But hold up, their official reply was to play off the 4080 12gb as literally just a 4080 but with less vram, just like the 3080 models. Are you saying that was...misleading?
No way!

I think dropping video cards in the middle of CPU wars is a really dumb idea myself, they had really no stock to sell anyway.

Is anyone else blown-away that Nvidia actually took the high-road and did the right thing this time?

It's still kind of funny that some people want to criticize them for this move also. I guess you can never make everyone happy. Or is it that some people aren't willing to admit that they have some kind of grudge against Nvidia or that they have simply become jaded?
They haven't done anything yet.

Good. Should have been called a 4070 or perhaps a 4060 in the first place. Nevertheless, people still would have bought the thing anyway.

Not according to the rumors I've been hearing. Maybe Nvidia takes the very top, but not by a large margin.
I'd love to be wrong on this one, it benefits us all. I'm not particularly hopeful for that outcome however.

Good. Should have been called a 4070 or perhaps a 4060 in the first place. Nevertheless, people still would have bought the thing anyway.

I don't know that they would have. That's why it's being pulled and rebranded. It probably would have ended up in a lot of OEM computers.

GeForce4 Ti 4600 128 bit bus,rtx 4060 ti(if it comes out at all) 64 bit bus width,because we can do it...💪:D

This is a good move by nvidia, if the rtx 4080 12gb or the new 4070 were much cheaper, it would be even better.
It is possible that amd also prepares super fast graphics, now the advantage is that L2 cache can be loaded on the gpu, which obviously means a lot and the clock is much higher.
Only the new production process brings a lot.
I think that amd will do the same as nvidia, surely they have a graphics card that may be stronger than rtx 4090.

Based on what has been shown so far the 4080 16gb should be more like the 4070 and the 4080 12gb would be a 4060 ti but were priced like 80ti and 80 cards respectively. The true 4080 would prob be a 20gb version of the 4090 with shader count in between the 4080 16gb and the 4090. Nvidia looked at people buying cards at inflated prices and thought that the entire market is willing to accept these prices, bumped calls numbers up 1-2 notches and priced accordingly. They probably got cold feet after all the backlash and seeing all the 3080 cards/chips sitting on the shelves.

GeForce4 Ti 4600 128 bit bus,rtx 4060 ti(if it comes out at all) 64 bit bus width,because we can do it...💪:D

This is a good move by nvidia, if the rtx 4080 12gb or the new 4070 were much cheaper, it would be even better.
It is possible that amd also prepares super fast graphics, now the advantage is that L2 cache can be loaded on the gpu, which obviously means a lot and the clock is much higher.
Only the new production process brings a lot.
I think that amd will do the same as nvidia, surely they have a graphics card that may be stronger than rtx 4090.
i remeber having the asus Variant back in the day spent $650 on it when built my Tbird system i was in edmonton at the time and had walked across the city to a lil comp shop called Bcom. when i was heading out the guys were like your walking! said yeah its only bout a half hour walk across the freeways lol. thing was an absolute beast with a huge 1lb copper heatsink.

Has it been confirmed that the 4080 16GB (AD103) and 4080 12GB (AD104) use the same physical die?

If they're physically different then it's not out of the question that AD104 will show up as the 4060 or 4070. Seems like an easy solution for Nvidia. Just shift any unannounced products down the stack in name (i.e. 4070 becomes 4060, etc.) The only thing being revised here is marketing and product packaging (labels).
They in fact do NOT use the same die based on the last video I watched from GN.

Back