NVIDIA to launch its GeForce GTX 880 next month, at under $500

With the mediocre amount of hype Nvidia is pushing behind this, if this DOES release next month I doubt it will be anything to get really excited for.

I'm still using a launch day 7970...Maxwell release at 20nm is when I will be upgrading.

but will it run minecraft? any leaks of what the cooler will look like?

With the mediocre amount of hype Nvidia is pushing behind this, if this DOES release next month I doubt it will be anything to get really excited for.

That's not necessarily so. Often hype is inversely correlated to quality. Think about the launch of the 8000 series. nVidia said -nothing-. There were plenty of rumors that the cards would just be DX9 style cards, with split shaders, and so on and so forth. Then the 8800 drops and just rocks people's worlds.

Now compare that to the GTX 400 series. nVidia was going hard on the hype train for many months talking about how OMGWTFBBQgreat the card would be and so on. Then it comes out and it was very "meh".

You can't use lack of hype as an indicator about a card.

well guys, look on the bright side: at least the GPU mining craze is over.

Holy balls! There's now 7 active threads on the 800-series. Every other forum has one single 100-page thread for Maxwell 2nd-gen, but [H] gets a new one daily :D

NVIDIA to launch its GeForce GTX 880 next month, at under $500 - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1828611

GTX X80 - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1827761

NVIDIA Releasing Three GTX 800 Graphics Cards In October? - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1828024

GTX 880 and 800 Series to be More Powerful But Cheaper than the 700 Series - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1822467

For fun: 880 length - speculation required! - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1827666

Geforce GTX 800s at Gamescom! - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1827155

880/870 release dates in oct/nov? - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1826688

That's not necessarily so. Often hype is inversely correlated to quality. Think about the launch of the 8000 series. nVidia said -nothing-. There were plenty of rumors that the cards would just be DX9 style cards, with split shaders, and so on and so forth. Then the 8800 drops and just rocks people's worlds.

Now compare that to the GTX 400 series. nVidia was going hard on the hype train for many months talking about how OMGWTFBBQgreat the card would be and so on. Then it comes out and it was very "meh".

You can't use lack of hype as an indicator about a card.

I remember there being a decent amount of hype during the month prior to the 8800GTX release?

I'm pointing out the month prior, not all the rumor frenzy that happens before. Nvidia usually starts some sort of event just before the reveal to get people going crazy. I haven't heard of much other then a stupid anti static bag.

I guess you could say I'm skeptical about there being a release next month?

The price estimation crosses 2 tiers...
Not a lot of info to work with.

$400, about the same as the 780 w/ 4 GB VRAM and power improvements? Possible.
$500, about the same as the 780 Ti? Possible.

With the 290 as low as $350 and the 290X below $500, Nvidia has competition.
If they match the 780 @ $400 it will be classified as a failure.

edit
Gigabyte confirms their new custom cards available by the end of September???
http://videocardz.com/51133/gigabyte-launch-geforce-gtx-880-g1-gaming-september

Last edited:
256 bus? I call shenanigans! No way Nvidia would sacrifice QHD and 4K performance like that on their top range silicon. I would expect a minimum of 384 bit. I know the bus isn't everything, but the 780 and Ti were already pushing the limits of GDDR5 clock speeds, so unless the 880 is working some sort of clock speed magic, I don't see a 256 bit bus being the norm...

If history repeats it's self, the equivalent of the GTX 780 now at $500 should be in the $200-$300 range when released......aka the 860. That's what I am waiting for.

If history repeats it's self, the equivalent of the GTX 780 now at $500 should be in the $200-$300 range when released......aka the 860. That's what I am waiting for.
There's a 0% chance you'll see a $300 780 equivalent from the first round of cards.

There's a 0% chance you'll see a $300 780 equivalent from the first round of cards.

Why? Because of the lack of going lower in the manufacturing process?

The 660 was pretty close to the 580, and we saw the same thing I previous gens. That's why I said that. Do you thing they hit a brick wall this time around?

The 6X0 series was an anomaly in terms of generational leaps recently. The 4X0 series? Meh. 5X0 series? Meh 6X0? whooooo!

I doubt we'll see another leap like that for a long while.

depends on where the 880 falls. if the 880 is 10-15% faster than a 780 ti i can definitely see an 860 being as fast or slightly slower than a 780.

sooo ummm. another year till GM110 (Big Maxwell?) then? I assume, maybe?...If it even exists in plans? But yeah. 8GB is a must for me now.

I think war is coming as most already know AMD plans to release the R9-285 and 285X very soon as I hear late Aug so the 760-770-780 GTX cards will be victims of these new Tahiti based cards that no one knows what kind of voodoo AMD gave them but the naming would mean that they are faster then the R9-280 and 280X..

Then we know AMD taped out a gpu bigger then Hawaii.. so this new Nvidia card may not be a flagship product as AMD has not shown there main weapon yet.

Tempting, but I think I might wait for either superclocked 880 gtx or 880ti and get 2 of them :-P

Why would they release a 780ti for near $800, then a few months later, release a card that is more powerful and sub $500? This is illogical.

Why would they release a 780ti for near $800, then a few months later, release a card that is more powerful and sub $500? This is illogical.

Thats Nvidia. The GTX 580 was still near $500 long after the GTX 680 was released. I remember thinking I could pick one of those up on the cheap after the 600's came out. It took forever for them to get under $400 and when I bought my GTX 670 for $400, the 580's were around $375 still. Nvidia has a weird track record when it comes to things like that.

Thats Nvidia. The GTX 580 was still near $500 long after the GTX 680 was released. I remember thinking I could pick one of those up on the cheap after the 600's came out. It took forever for them to get under $400 and when I bought my GTX 670 for $400, the 580's were around $375 still. Nvidia has a weird track record when it comes to things like that.

Not even close to the same situation...

Months? You mean a year.

And the answer is AMD.
$350 290's.
$450 290X's.

Things change. Who knows what Tonga/Hawaii XTX will bring.

Last edited:
depends on where the 880 falls. if the 880 is 10-15% faster than a 780 ti i can definitely see an 860 being as fast or slightly slower than a 780.

But that means gap between 880 and 860 is like 27%-38%, which means gap between 870 and either card is...13%-19%? That's cutting it pretty close, I mean that means the gap between entire 800 product line at launch is the difference between a GTX 770 and GTX 780.

I think war is coming as most already know AMD plans to release the R9-285 and 285X very soon as I hear late Aug so the 760-770-780 GTX cards will be victims of these new Tahiti based cards that no one knows what kind of voodoo AMD gave them but the naming would mean that they are faster then the R9-280 and 280X..

Then we know AMD taped out a gpu bigger then Hawaii.. so this new Nvidia card may not be a flagship product as AMD has not shown there main weapon yet.

Nvidia owns 3DFX IP, not AMD... Only nVidia can inject a little voodoo into their cards... :D

because 800 series is just another refresh of the 600 series.

Back