NVIDIA to launch GeForce GTX TITAN Black Edition and GeForce GTX 790

Good. GTX 790 should have come earlier for us micro ATX users.

Count me in for an EVGA Step-Up to the 790. Just bought my 780Ti last week so timing should be good.

alright let's begin price speculation on the 790. i see in the videocardz link that the article author is guessing $999+. thing will be beastly.

If these came out earlier maybe, but now these are just gap fillers until Big Maxwell in Q3/4.
I can see the 790 being useful in ITX builds. But if 5GB I would have to consider one also.

The 780 only has 3gb though, I find it hard to believe they would suddenly do 5gb per card for this. 2.5gb would be more likely, not really preferable though.

So does this push anything useful from Maxwell until the end of the year?
I suppose Nvidia won't be showing any of the GTX 800 series until 20nm.

Time to start hunting GTX 780 sales again.

The 780 only has 3gb though, I find it hard to believe they would suddenly do 5gb per card for this. 2.5gb would be more likely, not really preferable though.

I suspect they'll be marketing it for 4K and will therefore need the VRAM. I'm sure they'd rather do 4GB but a 256-bit is probably much too neutered to perform where they want it.

So does this push anything useful from Maxwell until the end of the year?
I suppose Nvidia won't be showing any of the GTX 800 series until 20nm.

Time to start hunting GTX 780 sales again.

High end Maxwell has always been stated as Q4 2014.

Damnit... Going to miss the step-up now. Im already in the step-up queue for a 780Ti but I only have a few days left to re-submit :( Maybe if it releases by Feb 2nd :D

1680x1050? Why did you even buy the 4gb version of the 680.

Because it was $200. And I may plan to upgrade to 24inch for 1080p goodness or a 27inch. I mainly mod my games which eat up to 2GB of VRAM quite easily. Monitored through GPU-Z.

I don't see the hypothetical 790 being able to hit that power envelope.

Is it time to sell off my 4GB 680 and buy a Titan BE? I'm on a 22inch.
Unless you do a lot of prosumer-level compute tasks requiring full double-precision performance, the Titan is not what you should be buying: it's intended as a kind of entry-level gaming/compute halo product. The 7xx series are the gaming-centric cards.

So I'm guessing my 680 should be enough for my needs at the moment? I think a better investment for my rig would be a new SSD and a quad core cpu.

If these came out earlier maybe, but now these are just gap fillers until Big Maxwell in Q3/4.
I can see the 790 being useful in ITX builds. But if 5GB I would have to consider one also.

I want an ITX build with that new Corsair 250D case. This would be perfect since you can't use SLI.

I want an ITX build with that new Corsair 250D case. This would be perfect since you can't use SLI.

I'm in a similar boat, want to snag a GTX 790 to cram into an SG05. Waiting until March sounds awful though. :(

I'm in a similar boat, want to snag a GTX 790 to cram into an SG05. Waiting until March sounds awful though. :(

I know that feel, but that Corsair case comes out at the end of Feb, so I'd have to wait, LOL.

I would totally sell my 780ti and buy a 790. Then it would be time to go back to mITX.

Heard this a while back, still don't believe the legitimacy of this article, though it would be great if it were true.

5 GK110 cards in 15 months all launching at $650-1000 and cannibalizing the previous card in price and/or performance. Has the consumer market not learned their lesson when it comes to investing in Nvidia flagships? Or Nvidia in general?

Titan lasted 3 months before faster 780's arrived for $350 less. 780's prices slashed 5 months later only because of AMD competition. 780 Ti comes out less than 2 months after that. Now we have a new Titan 2 months after the Ti, a dual GK110 2 months after that, and then Maxwell at the same time?

The only cards worth getting in the past 2 years are GTX 670's, 7950's, 7970's, R9 290's, and GTX 780's post price drop. Had I not been a newb and gotten a reference cooler 7950 in February 2013, I would've stuck with it and crossfire but it was just too loud when overclocked. Instead I got stuck in an endless nvidia upgrade cycle with 2x 670's, 3x 780's, and now 2x 780 Ti's. In retrospect, I would have gotten 2 non-ref 7950's and moved up to 2x 290X Lightnings instead and skipped all the bullshit. ALL of nvidia's offerings were "just not quite good enough" with this planned obsolescence called VRAM and memory bus. At 1440p 120hz, 780 Ti's finally cut the mustard but are simply out of vram in almost every game I play.

I'm just lucky I got everything for significantly less than MSRP.

Just wait for Maxwell at this point or grab an overclocked 780.

Wow. Finally some updates to their already performance leading products.

Warning: Rage Rant Mode Enabled
More $1000+ stop-gap products before the next gen launches. Yay. :rolleyes:

FFS nVidia, there's no good reason for $1K price tags on a damn consumer GPU, ever. How about you start focusing on providing updated products to the consumer mid-range to upper-mid-range product segments with killer prices? Non-rebranded 600 series 760ti or 770ti at the current respective non-ti prices, anyone?

Fuck it. nVidia just gave me a couple more reasons to justify my choice to wait for a 20nm Maxwell 860/860ti/870; whatever products fall in the $300-400(-ish) price range then pick the best price/performance offering.

Better 1000$ Titan BS edition than 750-800$ gtx 780Ti 6gb. Better for Nvidia ofc.. Just when thing started to look bit better with r9 290 miners and greediness ruin everything. Next year is 2000$ Maxwell enthusiast class GPU time..

Hmm. If the 790 is actually 999$ then that may not be an incredibly bad value? It'll be a little slower than 780 SLI but that is to be expected with a single card dual GPU. But if it's more than 1000$, fuck that.

There's no way I would buy a Titan Black though. It just seems not really catered to the gaming market, which is what i'd want to buy it for.

5 GK110 cards in 15 months all launching at $650-1000 and cannibalizing the previous card in price and/or performance. Has the consumer market not learned their lesson when it comes to investing in Nvidia flagships? Or Nvidia in general?

I'm not sure I see the logic here. The video card game has always been an expensive, fast paced one. The issue is whether your setup meets your needs. Titan Black is probably a ti with 6GB of VRAM. The whole point of buying a flagship card is to blow the doors off of the games you play. There is always going to be a faster card 3 or six months down the road, ect. Always. Also, this doesn't replace the ti--they are rumored to be $1,000 cards. Totally different price point.

I wanted a 780ti SLI setup. I did not buy it however, because I am not comfortable investing in a $1,400 setup that has only 3GB of effective VRAM in 2013/2014. I am fairly certain my GTX590 would be blowing the doors off of BF4 but for the 1.5 VRAM. The issue is, yes the 780ti is faster than titan, but how much VRAM will you need even at 1080p (let alone 4k), say two years from now. 3, in my opinion, is not enough. Too risky. The titan Black SLI setup with 6GB vram on board is going to have some real legs. I would rather spend $2,000 on the titan black sli setup than $1,400 on the ti setup if it gave me an extra year or two of gaming. Another gig of vram would have extended the life of my GTX590 by possibly two years.

The only way you loose this game is if you overspend on a setup that is going to end up running out of VRAM in the forseeable future but otherwise has enough processing power to handle what you are doing. THAT sucks.

The other issue is, it is great that they have these $1,000 cards and all, but where is the software, other than BF4, that justifies the investment? In the old days I'd scarf down cards for Unreal Tournament, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Battlefield 2---the PC was a platform unto itself. I am just not sure I can justify even a $1,000 investment just to bump up the settings on BF4. There has to be a killer app. Maybe Half-Life 3 or something in 2015? The biggest problem in my opinion is that all of these cards, if you are a gamer, are really meant for games that do not yet exist and may not exist for a few years. So why buy anything until there is a killer app that demands it.

Last edited:
£1,000 is too much for the 6GB Titan Black.

To be honest, I do feel a bit bummed now with my 3GB 780Ti SLI. I had a feeling I should have waited :(

I am very happy with my Titans. No more video card upgrades for me for at least another 2 years.

And I'm still quite happy with my SLI Ti's and no way feeling angst about the Titan Black if it's a real thing.

I'd planned on these cards lasting at least a year, maybe two at 1440p, and nothing on the horizon in terms of gaming is indicating that 3GB will be a problem in that time period. I don't count shit like pimped out Skyrim mods, and I don't (and won't) do surround gaming.

Sure, if the Titan Black was available back in November when I put this rig together, I might have went that route, but I doubt it.

The cost delta between SLI TI vs Titan is enough to buy a terabyte SSD, for instance, or a quality 120.5 watercooling loop, or cover the cost of a 1440p monitor, etc, all far more useful, far more impactful and far less ephemeral in the long term than an extra 3 gigs of VRAM and a black cooler that will go in a box never to be seen again, and the Titan compute performance is tits on a boar hog for a dedicated gaming rig.

Titan lasted 3 months before faster 780's arrived for $350 less. 780's prices slashed 5 months later only because of AMD competition. 780 Ti comes out less than 2 months after that. Now we have a new Titan 2 months after the Ti, a dual GK110 2 months after that, and then Maxwell at the same time?

The only cards worth getting in the past 2 years are GTX 670's, 7950's, 7970's, R9 290's, and GTX 780's post price drop. Had I not been a newb and gotten a reference cooler 7950 in February 2013, I would've stuck with it and crossfire but it was just too loud when overclocked. Instead I got stuck in an endless nvidia upgrade cycle with 2x 670's, 3x 780's, and now 2x 780 Ti's. In retrospect, I would have gotten 2 non-ref 7950's and moved up to 2x 290X Lightnings instead and skipped all the bullshit. ALL of nvidia's offerings were "just not quite good enough" with this planned obsolescence called VRAM and memory bus. At 1440p 120hz, 780 Ti's finally cut the mustard but are simply out of vram in almost every game I play.

I'm just lucky I got everything for significantly less than MSRP.

It's Nvidia, what did you expect? This is just another Titan -> 780 Ti moneygrab.

Everyone is much better off waiting for Maxwell.

I hope the 790 is for real, we have been hearing about it for months and I feel like its gonna be bogus in favor of Maxwell :/

My non SLI board is ready for the 790 :p

Back