Nvidia To Fix Increased Clock Speed And Power Consumption At High Refresh Rates

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
PC Perspective had originally exposed a bug in the way Nvidia GPUs were managing clocks at high refresh rates, and the company has confirmed the issue and suggested that a fix is on the way.

When running the monitor at 60Hz, 100Hz and even 120Hz, the GPU clock speed sits comfortably at 135MHz. When we increase from 120Hz to 144Hz though, the GPU clock spikes to 885MHz and stays there, even at the Windows desktop. According to GPU-Z the GPU is running at approximately 30% of the maximum TDP.

I hope they also fix the problem of going to high clocks with three monitors attached.

wow i was affected by this bug and didn't even know it, i have asus 144htz non gsync display and a asus 980ti and my clock speed was indeed 810mhz when sitting on the desktop, i lowered my refresh to 120htz and my 980ti went idle at 135mhz

Cant wait for this one to go into effect. ive been running 120hz on the desktop for awhile now due to this bug.

problem is also for multi monitor. Any amount of monitor Hz added together that hits 144., e.g. two monitor at 72, will have this issue.
took them a long time to figure out it was a problem

Nvidia gets a free pass for driver issues. This issue has gone on for ages..

My TitanX has done this since day one. Card ordered directly from nVidia.

For those that think its a triple monitor issue it is not. I have 3 ASUS PG278Q's. Clock speed of the card ONLY ramps up when I set the monitors to 144MHz. All 3 set to anything less and the card clocks at its lowest state.

I own a Dell 32" 4k monitor and Ihave had increased heat coming from my gpu before so I looked around for answers and found my gpu running above idle. Not sure when it fixed itself as by then I've given up on how to fix it.

I don't understand how it is necessary.

The idea that faster refresh rates and more monitor real estate might demand higher clocks doesn't seem absurd to me at all. Regardless if they have a fix then its good.

They officially stated that the display would blink months ago, so the clock was increased for 144 Hz. Now it's a confirmed problem? Fine by me. They should aim for 165 though.

It's not a bug or error. It was done to prevent display abnormalities, such as blinking and signal loss.

Back