Nvidia to demonstrate Kepler at PDXLAN this Friday

And I don't know what people are talking about when it comes to GTX 580 prices getting slashed? They haven't moved. The only ones that are cheap are 1.5GB GTX 580s, and when you can get a 3GB 7970 for the same price you're stupid to get the GTX 580 1.5GB.

Couple of GTX 580s on Newegg for around $460 after rebate. You got a link to the 7970 for that price?

Nvidiots united, circle jerked, and got disappointed ITT. The sweet, sweet tears of butthurt fanbois are delicious.

This entire thread started on baseless conjecture. The line of logic went something like this:

Nvidia said they are announcing something special
It must be GK104!

And I don't know what people are talking about when it comes to GTX 580 prices getting slashed? They haven't moved. The only ones that are cheap are 1.5GB GTX 580s, and when you can get a 3GB 7970 for the same price you're stupid to get the GTX 580 1.5GB.

Not that I saw any nvidia fanboys. Also, most of us research and know 1.5 is fine for anything 2560 or below, except in edge cases like bf3 at absolute Max no Aa.

You must be new to computers. Speculation is normal for new products.

Last edited:
okay guys...shows over...no keplar, so lets move along next week and pull the trigger on 7950/7970....or GTX 580's

okay guys...shows over...no keplar, so lets move along next week and pull the trigger on 7950/7970....or GTX 580's

Or buy some Crossfire HD77xx,

I just spent the last 30 minutes looking for a good deal on HD7950. Haven't found one yet. HD7750 or HD7770 in crossfire is even looking good.

I will never attend a PDXLAN event. LAME. :mad:

Or buy some Crossfire HD77xx,

I just spent the last 30 minutes looking for a good deal on HD7950. Haven't found one yet. HD7750 or HD7770 in crossfire is even looking good.

I will never attend a PDXLAN event. LAME. :mad:

or how about another one of them kick ass MSI 448's ;)

Couple of GTX 580s on Newegg for around $460 after rebate. You got a link to the 7970 for that price?

Assuming 7970 is %20 faster than GTX 580, %20 of $460 is $552. You're pretty much getting the same performance per dollar now, except for the fact that the GTX 580 isn't accounting for the 200mhz overclock you're going to get out of the 7970. It's still not a good buy unless you're blinded by GK104 goggles.

Trolls can't really call people fanboys, sorry. Not that I saw any nvidia fanboys. Also, most of us research and know 1.5 is fine for anything 2560 or below, except in edge cases like bf3 at absolute Max no Aa.

You must be new to computers. Speculation is normal for new products.

Speculation, rumors, and conjecture are fine. blatantly calling people trolls when they're not trolling isn't.

It's also not really speculation when NV says they're announcing something and everyone gets together and thinks that it's Gk104. What this thread had was a lack of speculation and it started from the thread title when the original poster decided that they knew what NV was going to announce at their surprise announcement and everyone, instead of speculating upon what would be shown, all clamored for GK104 without an ounce of critical thinking.

The only people who did chime in and say that it's probably going to be a game or something were the people who aren't hardcore fanboys.

I'm not a fanboy. This computer is an AMD. My other rig is an Intel. I have an 8800GTS and 4870 sitting in a box together, being friends. Everyone in this thread who threw logic out of the window in the name of a wet hardware dream of a card that's faster than a $550 card yet costs $299 while having almost the same die size that would be magically surprise announced and demoed at some lan event most people haven't even heard of as opposed to CES or something is trolling. If you want to be mad at anyone from trolling, be mad at the OP for stringing you all along and trolling everyone into thinking an "announcement" means "gk104 is here tonight!"

Dam! I got my hope up for some info on these cards, only to let myself down. I was really looking for a late march release so i can pick them for my birthday :(

Assuming 7970 is %20 faster than GTX 580, %20 of $460 is $552. You're pretty much getting the same performance per dollar now, except for the fact that the GTX 580 isn't accounting for the 200mhz overclock you're going to get out of the 7970. It's still not a good buy unless you're blinded by GK104 goggles.

Speculation, rumors, and conjecture are fine. blatantly calling people trolls when they're not trolling isn't.

It's also not really speculation when NV says they're announcing something and everyone gets together and thinks that it's Gk104. What this thread had was a lack of speculation and it started from the thread title when the original poster decided that they knew what NV was going to announce at their surprise announcement and everyone, instead of speculating upon what would be shown, all clamored for GK104 without an ounce of critical thinking.

The only people who did chime in and say that it's probably going to be a game or something were the people who aren't hardcore fanboys.

I'm not a fanboy. This computer is an AMD. My other rig is an Intel. I have an 8800GTS and 4870 sitting in a box together, being friends. Everyone in this thread who threw logic out of the window in the name of a wet hardware dream of a card that's faster than a $550 card yet costs $299 while having almost the same die size that would be magically surprise announced and demoed at some lan event most people haven't even heard of as opposed to CES or something is trolling. If you want to be mad at anyone from trolling, be mad at the OP for stringing you all along and trolling everyone into thinking an "announcement" means "gk104 is here tonight!"

Oc is never guaranteed. Same performance per dollar is good not bad. Also, your first line of the quote I posted is obviously meant to be rude not sure what else to say it is sir. Easy.

Last edited:
Oc is never guaranteed. Also, your first line of the quote I posted is obviously meant to incite, not sure what else to say it is sir. Easy.

So 20% of 460 equaling 552 is meant to incite? Or is it the fact I'm calling 7970 about 20% faster than a stock GTX 580?

I'm discussing hard numbers here. if you don't want to overclock your GPU then a GTX 580 at $460 isn't a bad deal. I just figured that since this forum was full of enthusiasts that everyone would want to overclock.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/17

I'd link to the [H] review but it's comparing an overclocked GTX 580 to a stock 7970. Tell me that's not about an average 20% overclock.

The prices haven't changed. The galaxy linked earlier in the thread, I was eyeing it back in July - August of last year and it was the exact same price it is now. 464$ before rebate. I remember it very well because I was about to purchase it. (but instead went with MSI lightnings)

I think EVGA did lower their 3gb prices, but 580 prices _did not_ change. Also, prices of 3gb 580s and 7970 is the same. While i'm being facetious with this comment, do you have a link to a 3gb 580 for 460$? Nope. MSRP is still 579.99 or 549.99 depending on which brand you want. I'm not sure why i'm bringing this up because i'm not praising AMD over their prices, but they're the same prices that nvidia charges ;)

Last edited:
The prices haven't changed. The galaxy linked earlier in the thread, I was eyeing it back in July - August of last year and it was the exact same price it is now. 464$ before rebate. I remember it very well because I was about to purchase it. (but instead went with MSI lightnings)

I think EVGA did lower their 3gb prices, but 580 prices _did not_ change. Also, prices of 3gb 580s and 7970 is the same. While i'm being facetious with this comment, do you have a link to a 3gb 580 for 460$? Nope. MSRP is still 579.99 or 549.99 depending on which brand you want. I'm not sure why i'm bringing this up because i'm not praising AMD over their prices, but they're the same prices that nvidia charges ;)

Watch out man, you're inciting rage and you're trolling. If you say anything besides Gk104 is going to be faster than 7970 and cost $299 you're trying to incite a forum fight. Also, no facts or math, only baseless conjecture. When NV says they have an announcement, assume it's kepler. Next time AMD has an announcement I'm going to assume it's the HD 8000 series, and the next time Intel has an announcement I'm going to assume it's Haswell and start a thread over all of them saying HD 8000 or Haswell is coming out.

Watch out man, you're inciting rage and you're trolling. If you say anything besides Gk104 is going to be faster than 7970 and cost $299 you're trying to incite a forum fight. Also, no facts or math, only baseless conjecture. When NV says they have an announcement, assume it's kepler. Next time AMD has an announcement I'm going to assume it's the HD 8000 series, and the next time Intel has an announcement I'm going to assume it's Haswell and start a thread over all of them saying HD 8000 or Haswell is coming out.

You really don't comprehend the difference between your posts and his? Wow.

Nvidiots united, circle jerked, and got disappointed ITT. The sweet, sweet tears of butthurt fanbois are delicious.
Well, captain hindsight, nVidia was going to announce something special at PDXLAN, so with Kepler being their brand new architecture, it was a possibility. But admittedly, with the known Kepler yield issues, it was perhaps unrealistic. And by the way, no fanboy here! I've got a 5870 in my rig and with a high-end Kepler probably being months away, I'm going to get an Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP now. Sadly, nVidia is late to the party again...

I never said it was a good buy, I was just calling out your idiotic statement that you can get a 3GB 7970 for the same price as a 1.5GB GTX 580.

I never said they changed, just that the 7970 is not priced the same as a 1.5GB GTX 580, in rebuttal of what sdlvk said.

I never said it was a good buy, I was just calling out your idiotic statement that you can get a 3GB 7970 for the same price as a 1.5GB GTX 580.

I never said they changed, just that the 7970 is not priced the same as a 1.5GB GTX 580, in rebuttal of what sdlvk said.

That's not what I was saying. GTX 580 is in a different price segment and if you're looking to save $90 at the cost of some performance it's not an awful buy and it's not bad at all.

Let me explain what I was saying. You get x amount of performance from a 1.5GB GTX 580 for y dollars. You get x + .2x amount of performance from a 7970 for y + .2y dollars, thus, it's not a bad deal as performance and cost increase at the same rate.

As much as a $460 7970 would be awesome it's not going to happen for a long time.

Quoting for once presentation happens.

did you decide what you want to put here now that the presentation is over?

Emly, so it has been way over six weeks now, where is the kepler news (with cards soon to follow soon after)?

PM me with the info...

Seriously did no one learn from all the Fermi threads back then? I even recall posters pulling the whole "QUOTE ME ON THIS, FERMI IS BEING RELEASED IN DECEMBER".

That's not what I was saying. GTX 580 is in a different price segment and if you're looking to save $90 at the cost of some performance it's not an awful buy and it's not bad at all.

Let me explain what I was saying. You get x amount of performance from a 1.5GB GTX 580 for y dollars. You get x + .2x amount of performance from a 7970 for y + .2y dollars, thus, it's not a bad deal as performance and cost increase at the same rate.

As much as a $460 7970 would be awesome it's not going to happen for a long time.

Yeah, I shouldn't have jumped on you for what was pretty clearly not a serious claim. I think if Nvidia really wants to sell GTX 580s (and it's not completely clear that they care to any longer), they need to price them at about $399. It would still be pretty compelling at that price point.

Yeah, like I said i'm definitely not defending AMD over prices, I think amd and nvidia are both overpriced right now. I think the sweet spot for the super high end is 400$, sadly I think those days are gone :(

I'm surprised that nvidia didn't get booed off stage. I can give a rats ass about Tegra 3.

did you decide what you want to put here now that the presentation is over?

Emly, so it has been way over six weeks now, where is the kepler news (with cards soon to follow soon after)?

PM me with the info...

Here's the thing... I said it could happen, not would or would not. You claimed it was impossible, which was wrong since it may have ended up happening at the time. I have nothing to retract, while you would have if they'd shown Kepler.

Here's the thing... I said it could happen, not would or would not. You claimed it was impossible, which was wrong since it may have ended up happening at the time. I have nothing to retract, while you would have if they'd shown Kepler.

To be fair, they actually showed Fermi at a PDX lan a couple years ago....I think gtx 580 was unveiled there

Besides all of this nonsense, did anyone get screenshots of borderlands 2? Does it use hardware physx? I'm really exited about this game, I *really* loved borderlands 1. Anyone?

Besides all of this nonsense, did anyone get screenshots of borderlands 2? Does it use hardware physx? I'm really exited about this game, I *really* loved borderlands 1. Anyone?

I was wondering the same thing. I was also a big borderlands fan. Any mention of 3d?

To be fair, they actually showed Fermi at a PDX lan a couple years ago....I think gtx 580 was unveiled there

Cameras weren't allowed. :(

Sooooo getting back on track, for those of you that were there for the presentation, what did they actually say about Tegra 3/Borderlands 2?

JHC people wake up, NV is yanking your fucking chain. Just like the mass media does, they try to sell you their agenda. In this case they want you to think something magical is just around the corner and they'll keep attempting to help you believe that message as long as it takes. Manipulating people into thinking there is something always just around the corner is the next best thing to actually having something just around the corner. They are feeding the addicts the information they crave, and get paid to do it.

JHC people wake up, NV is yanking your fucking chain. Just like the mass media does, they try to sell you their agenda. In this case they want you to think something magical is just around the corner and they'll keep attempting to help you believe that message as long as it takes. Manipulating people into thinking there is something always just around the corner is the next best thing to actually having something just around the corner. They are feeding the addicts the information they crave, and get paid to do it.

i agree with that. please no more of these threads until may when the gk104 comes out.

I think the meaning of "fanboi" has lost it's meaning over time because of improper use.

I wish people stop using the word, sounds like teenagers picking on each other.

This!

I expected most users here to be more mature than that.

I think a lot of it is people seeing what they want to see. The price cuts earlier in this thread are proof of this -- GTX 580 prices are not lower as mentioned a few posts ago, with the galaxy model in particular (was 464$ in august of last year on newegg, 414 after MIR) -- just goes to show that people are craving for information on Kepler. And why NV isn't giving any, who knows.

I guess i'm guilty of this at times myself, I crave new tech.

Anyway! Someone hook us up with borderlands 2 info. Hardware physx?

Last edited:
Don't like nVidia threads by nVidia customers about potential nVidia products that excite them? Don't read and/or post in the nVidia sub-forum. Pain relieved.

i really dont have anything against nvidia. i just hate 50 threads on the same topic with mostly the same info. this happens with every hardware release. how many 7970 threads were there before it released? in about 2 weeks there will be 10 new IB threads everyday.

I see this as the "need" generation.

There will not be any price/performance cards on the market. If you want a faster card, you will pay what the market commands for it.
We're not going to get a sub $400 7970 killer from Nvidia now that they're claiming bad yields. nV faster than the 7970? You will pay for it.

From a cost POV, this gen is join to suck. If you have a need, buy now. If not, CF/SLI what you have because prices on 28nm will not drop anytime soon.

Last edited:
i really dont have anything against nvidia. i just hate 50 threads on the same topic with mostly the same info. this happens with every hardware release. how many 7970 threads were there before it released? in about 2 weeks there will be 10 new IB threads everyday.

Fair enough! I wasn't following them at the time, but I bet the Bulldozer threads got pretty hairy too. It would be nice to see the signal/noise ratio improve to where you had real hope of actual INFORMATION in a thread form time to time.:D

I even visit SA once in a while now, Lord help me...

Back