NVIDIA TITAN V Video Card Gaming Review @ [H]

Great review and that efficiency is amazing. Ncase M1 Titan V anyone? You can do it with even an SFX600 PSU! Really impressive.

Well, I wonder how well games these days even USE more than 2-4 cores. I feel like they are still really limited by single core IPC performance and then do some offloading onto other cores but not for a really substantial difference which is why many titles still have MOAR CORE MOAR THREAD Ryzen chips well behind the Intel counterparts.

Actually, I would love to see an article on it..

Well, the answer is simple its a "chicken and the egg" problem the industry has. Engine Developers and Studios won't put the time into creating something that uses >4 core counts versus 4.5-5.5ghz IPC workloads unless it becomes the standard baseline, otherwise they are looking at the most broad approach to optimizing for all customers.
Like it or not Parallel Workloads are the future, implementing them however is a nightmare, even Intel is disgusted when the modern Instruction sets aren't being used properly.
Whether you agree or not, Ryzen did great getting more cores at a really good IPC for a really great price, like it or not AMD always seemed to have better Die bandwidth versus Intel's better Core design, Thanks to Ryzen it finally forced Intel to start increasing the Z platforms options and power an 8 core HT is on the way.
Intel does have 1 really bad problem, their cores are wicked fast the problem is everything that feeds(die package bandwidth L2 L3) those cores is slow the 7700k used to get stutters in quite a few games because the overall chip bandwidth couldn't feed the Cores fast enough.

Also on a Side note the Frostbyte Engine is the most difficult to program for because as of currently it is the absolute most advanced concerning hardware, in a similar manner CryEngine in Crysis for the time it came out, All you have to do is watch the CPU core % usage on a 7700k and a 1700x in Battlefield 1 and you can see the diff at different resolutions and you can see how and where the differences lie, even the 8700k for the most part is sitting at higher than 90%utilization per core at all times.

Intel does have 1 really bad problem, their cores are wicked fast the problem is everything that feeds(die package bandwidth L2 L3) those cores is slow the 7700k used to get stutters in quite a few games because the overall chip bandwidth couldn't feed the Cores fast enough.

The fucking hell are you talking about.

Please source.

Well.

So the rumor is that HBM2 memory is not implemented correctly on this thing causing all of these calculation errors. I knew Ngridia should not mix their shitty GPU,s with HBM. :D

"If not, IT ALSO SHOWS HOW MUCH NVIDIA IS HOLDING BACK ON US GAMERS and what it could deliver performance-wise."

Well spoken Hard OCP.

Obviously Nvidia holds back as much performance as they possibly can to screw their customers as hard as they can, ALWAYS.

Shock and awe.

Altogether now gamers, one more time, repeat after me, LET’S BEND OVER FOR JENSEN!

Thanks for the review!

It would be interesting to underclock the memory to the same bandwidth as the 1080ti, as well as matching the core speeds. Then we could see how much difference the “new” architecture makes.

Last edited:
Is there even anything remotely parcticle from a home user perspective for a card like this that utilizes the extra non gaming stuff? Im still not plunking down 3 grand. My 1080 replace my 3 780's and my hearing wallet abd sweat glands are all recovering nicely :D

Thanks for the review!

It would be interesting to underclock the memory to the same bandwidth as the 1080ti, as well as matching the core speeds. Then we could see how much difference the “new” architecture makes.
HBM is more than just about bandwidth. There is also latency and other factors that differentiate it from GDDR5X, so you can't just clock it to where the calculated bandwidth is the same and expect an apples-to-apples comparison. Why does it make a difference, anyway? Differing architectures can still exhibit similar performance per node under the right conditions.

P.S. AdoredTV is an idiot.

I tend to agree with you, games are still about IPC, most games are optimized for 2-4 cores, having 2 more cores isn't (IMO) going to make any difference at lower resolutions, what would would be IPC/Clock speed. There are exceptions of course, some games handle threads better, some games may be better with 6 cores, but they are in the minority, others don't, but the rule of thumb I believe is still IPC and clock speed. I'm highly interested though in what Ryzen+ is going to bring. I'm interested in how gaming performance is improved from 1800X to 2700X.

Let me take a wild guess on this one...gaming performance will improve approximately, by a whopping 5%. Wohoo! Definitely worth an article :)

You know sparkys inbox is getting light up with people asking to “loan” the card to them!!

3k for a gpu that’s not really a gaming gpu is a lot to swallow. Did I say I want one? Or two?

I so need a new gpu...
Hum... you might be on to something :) maybe next review could include SLi Titan V with comparison i9 vs i7 vs Ryzen vs TR - after all we have to keep Kyle busy, lol...

The fucking hell are you talking about.

Please source.

Well.

Sorry, but it's been a problem for Intel since the q6600, as for the 7700k issues with stuttering you can look it up, there are forums on Reddit discussing the issue, anandtechs former writer alashrimp, or whatever it was, was saying about the fact it's a die package bandwidth problem I believe.

Sorry, but it's been a problem for Intel since the q6600, as for the 7700k issues with stuttering you can look it up, there are forums on Reddit discussing the issue, anandtechs former writer alashrimp, or whatever it was, was saying about the fact it's a die package bandwidth problem I believe.

No, you can 'look it up'.

It's your assertion.

No, you can 'look it up'.

It's your assertion.

Interesting.....
But I'll bite, I mean after all it is conjecture as I am not a chip engineer, and neither are people in forums.

So linking anything will in all likelihood do me absolutely no good, no offense.

Assertion, ok I can role with that, I am a reasonably intelligent person In my experience, and can accept if I am wrong or not, as for others, I can't attest to them.

Intel chips on the Z platform seem to not have enough bandwidth between the cores, affordability issue?, I never had these issues on HEDT, AMD while not having a better core design seem to have better overall bandwidth between the cores on Ryzen I'd def say the Infinity fabric has something to do with that. Some things I noticed in benchmarks like abornally higher scores on competing chips and such.

If I'm wrong, It really doesn't matter. There are others out there though that see it, POE is a great example, but then again the engine .......so it really becomes not that great as a comparison and it could be engine wise on the software side in alot of these cases.

So.... With that said what is the truth?

Something that you have yet to prove.

"Reality doesn't need to be proven, it just is what it is"

As I have stated, it's an issue, I'm not the only one that experienced it, several people way more qualified have stated it, and I'm sorry you can't accept that.

.....at some point you really need to be a bit more mature in dealing with others, no offense but your replies are really just personal attacks with the maturity of a 5 year old making demands, this I would expect at wccftech and that garbage toxic pool of comments, even proving something 100% in every way possible with links pictures and anything else people will troll like a stomping 5year old they are 100% right and you are wrong, I don't expect that here.

Do your own research and homework, because frankly no matter what I post, I'm wrong, winning is to stop posting, just like an argument with my girlfriend, stopping the debate and enjoying the silence is winning. Honestly ......

As I have stated, it's an issue, I'm not the only one that experienced it, several people way more qualified have stated it, and I'm sorry you can't accept that.

.....at some point you really need to be a bit more mature in dealing with others, no offense but your replies are really just personal attacks with the maturity of a 5 year old making demands, this I would expect at wccftech and that garbage toxic pool of comments, even proving something 100% in every way possible with links pictures and anything else people will troll like a stomping 5year old they are 100% right and you are wrong, I don't expect that here.

Do your own research and homework, because frankly no matter what I post, I'm wrong, winning is to stop posting, just like an argument with my girlfriend, stopping the debate and enjoying the silence is winning. Honestly ......

If you make the assertion, then it's your responsibility to back it up or admit your wrong.

Given the gobbledegook your ranting about without providing any evidence I think your girlfriend is right, which is why your silence is effective.

Look, if your purpose is to make baseless assertions- you've proven exactly nothing!- then I suggest that you make liberal use of the ignore function.

keep-calm-and-lets-get-back-to-the-topic.png

I would like to see 1080p frame rates for games to see if it can push frame rates that make a 240 Hz 1080p monitor worth it.

So some games are CPU bound e.g. GTA 5. Why aren't you reviewing this card with at least a 6 core or preferably 8 core CPU? If you're spending 3k on a video card I think you'd probably expect a decent modern CPU to go with it -8700K perhaps.

Back