NVIDIA TITAN V Video Card Gaming Review @ [H]

Enjoyed the review. Nuts how powerful this thing is. Would have been nice to see if the extra 4 threads of an 8700k would have made a difference at 1440p for some of these titles, but still greatly appreciated.

Enjoyed the review. Nuts how powerful this thing is. Would have been nice to see if the extra 4 threads of an 8700k would have made a difference at 1440p for some of these titles, but still greatly appreciated.
Well, you know, it would not be a HardOCP review if we did not leave the door wide open for someone to suggest how it could have been done better in the first 10 posts.

I dont game much now, mostly due to me having an evga 680gtx classified and not willing to part with £1000 for something that should be in the 4s or 500s.

So Kyle what will it take to get that card from you, do you have a brother ?

Thanks for the review. Thought about buying one but will wait for the Ti variant. Nothing I am playing is demanding enough where I am dissatisfied at 4k currently.

Great review! That card is a beast and I hope the new gaming cards from NV can give us some better performance once the Tensor cores are reduced or eliminated.

I dont game much now, mostly due to me having an evga 680gtx classified and not willing to part with £1000 for something that should be in the 4s or 500s.

So Kyle what will it take to get that card from you, do you have a brother ?
No brother here, but you might as Sparky since he loaned it to us.

Thanks to our HardOCP Community member, Sparky, we had the opportunity to evaluate the very expensive $2,999.00 NVIDIA TITAN V video card, from a gaming perspective.

So how many years do you need to mine with this card to pay back the $3k?

1pbstp.jpg

Great review and that efficiency is amazing. Ncase M1 Titan V anyone? You can do it with even an SFX600 PSU! Really impressive.

Well, I wonder how well games these days even USE more than 2-4 cores. I feel like they are still really limited by single core IPC performance and then do some offloading onto other cores but not for a really substantial difference which is why many titles still have MOAR CORE MOAR THREAD Ryzen chips well behind the Intel counterparts.

Actually, I would love to see an article on it..

Damn. $3K...

I can't wait for the consumer models. Might be time to hold off. What was the typical wait time between the Titan and consumer models before? 3-6 months? I've been waiting lately, but it wasn't because I wanted to. Lack of cards and a huge markup. I'm cheap and only pay MSRP or less for a new card. It'll be nice to see the latest and greatest. Hopefully, they come with a nice performance boost for the cost.

Does anyone here do any AI or high performance computing that would use this? How big of a difference does it make vs. older Titans?

What was the typical wait time between the Titan and consumer models before? 3-6 months?

They usually release the big GPU each generation as a Titan card shortly after the smaller one.

• GK110 Titan after GK104 GTX 680
    • Succeeded by GK110 780Ti
  • GM200 Titan X after GM204 GTX 980
    • Succeeded by GM200 980Ti
  • GK102 Titan X (Pascal) after GK104 GTX 1080
    • Succeeded by GK102 1080Ti
Since no smaller Volta GPU was ever released before the TITAN V and the Volta chip was never given a "G" in front of it, it stands to reason that Volta was never intended for the GeForce line and they likely won't have a GeForce version of the TITAN V. Or if "Volta" is coming to GeForce it will likely be as a smaller "GVx04" first, followed up by a larger "GVx02". Probably with less tensor cores per cluster compared to the V100 or no tensor cores at all.

Anybody know how much die space the tensor cores take up? That would help us get an idea of a theoretical maximum performance of a 12nm GeForce GPU with Volta-generation CUDA cores and no tensor cores.

So if you had to make an educated guess Kyle, do you think the 1180 or whatever they call it would be somewhere in the middle of the 1080ti and this one for performance?

So if you had to make an educated guess Kyle, do you think the 1180 or whatever they call it would be somewhere in the middle of the 1080ti and this one for performance?

The educated guess is that this is below the next gen GTX.

Great write-up! Thanks Sparky for lending the GPGPU to the team.

I could Google it, but I'm guessing this is a world first gaming review of this monster?

Thanks for the content!

It's going to make me cry when I have to get some of these, or the v100 for my developers. It'll be like the modern version of the boss having the best laptop on principle. I have absolutely no need for it beyond gaming performance, but I want one. Same as I want an ASUS Sage Dual Xeon Rig.

I've toyed with the idea of getting this card and sell my Vega FE's. Be done for good with a multi-card setup in my computer.

I wonder if tensor cores can be used for real time ray tracing like pcper's guess? Will be interesting to see what consumer Volta will bring now that nvidia has pretty much confirmed it. I bet it won't be long now.

I wonder if tensor cores can be used for real time ray tracing like pcper's guess? Will be interesting to see what consumer Volta will bring now that nvidia has pretty much confirmed it. I bet it won't be long now.
I think that is a possibility for Tensor cores.

Part of me wishes I went with Titan V, but the DGX and it's 8 Volta are worth it.

There are specific optimizations required to make full use of the Tensorcores of Volta, in my testing on apples to apples programs I've made without the optimizations, Tesla Volta can be slower than Tesla Pascal.

Well, I wonder how well games these days even USE more than 2-4 cores. I feel like they are still really limited by single core IPC performance and then do some offloading onto other cores but not for a really substantial difference which is why many titles still have MOAR CORE MOAR THREAD Ryzen chips well behind the Intel counterparts.

Actually, I would love to see an article on it..

I tend to agree with you, games are still about IPC, most games are optimized for 2-4 cores, having 2 more cores isn't (IMO) going to make any difference at lower resolutions, what would would be IPC/Clock speed. There are exceptions of course, some games handle threads better, some games may be better with 6 cores, but they are in the minority, others don't, but the rule of thumb I believe is still IPC and clock speed. I'm highly interested though in what Ryzen+ is going to bring. I'm interested in how gaming performance is improved from 1800X to 2700X.

Great work as always guys. Props to Sparky for ponying up the sample. My one thought was: kingdom come ... new crysis? :p looks fun and I want in. T[H]anks boys

I have found it to be very graphically challenging, and it scales linearly indicating a GPU-bound scenario. In essence, sure, why not, it's the new Crysis! Since the TITAN V can only play it at "High" settings at 4K there is a lot of room for improvement. Above the "High" setting is the "Very High" setting, and then above that is the "Ultra High" setting. IN addition, the game can go even higher than "Ultra High" by enabling 2X SMAA And maxing out the 3 distance sliders. Therefore, we will need a video card probably 40-50% faster than the TITAN V to be able to play Kingdom Come at maximum game settings at 4K. Lots of room to grow!

Great work as always guys. Props to Sparky for ponying up the sample. My one thought was: kingdom come ... new crysis? :p looks fun and I want in. T[H]anks boys

I was critical of KCD at first but after finding some acceptable settings for it I've since become incredibly impressed with certain aspects of the visuals. Strongly recommend reading the [H] review and the thread. I would definitely consider it the new hardcore benching tool. Yes, it is Crysis all over again.

Thanks Brent, Kyle, and last but not least Sparky for this awesome review. Reading stuff like this reminds me of being a kid looking at toy sections in catalogs, or old compute/pc magazines and dreaming of the what if's. It also shows some promise for volta as well.

I am truly curious Kyle, how does your Titan SLI rig do under the same conditions with KCD using the Crysis profile? You know, for those of us fortunate enough(lol I know) to maybe score a couple used next time around.

Back