Nvidia Teases New Lineup of Consumer Video Cards

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Nvidia has put out a teaser clip with clues that lead to the reveal day and nomenclature for their upcoming consumer cards. I'm going to post the video and let everyone figure it out. My only clue is that it the reveal is "soon."

#BeForTheGame. Cologne. 20.Aug.2018.

Oh god, they're going to use that horrible cooler from the RTX Quadro on the GeForce, aren't they?

Where you seeing that? It looks very similar to the previous FE cards to me.
I took a closer look at it. The flashing initially made it look like a straight rectangle, but freezing the image at the end and taking a closer look reveals something interesting. Ignoring the bent fins on the right side, it kind of looks like NVIDIA may finally be moving to an open air cooler instead of a blower.
upload_2018-8-14_9-44-51.png

Yes, and examining the last frame, they printed "Cologne". Obviously, an anagram. What does "Cool gen" mean? Is it "cool generation"? No. It is "Cool generator". The new cards will have peltier coolers, utilizing Brownian motion generators (gen), which all means that the use of these cards will COOL your room.

But there are several shots of a card that looks a lot like the current FE cards. How are you concluding open air?

Yes, and examining the last frame, they printed "Cologne". Obviously, an anagram. What does "Cool gen" mean? Is it "cool generation"? No. It is "Cool generator". The new cards will have peltier coolers, utilizing Brownian motion generators (gen), which all means that the use of these cards will COOL your room.

I'm honestly not sure if you're serious... "Cologne" refers to Cologne Germany where Nvidia will be holding their "Geforce Gaming Celebration" on August 20th, which will almost certainly be the announcement date of the new cards. Peltier coolers aren't commonly used for several reasons but mainly because they are inefficient and they create moisture problems. Also, the second law of thermodynamics say you cannot cool a system (such as a room) directly, you can only move heat out of the system. That is why all air conditioners have a part that goes outside, that part is where the heat is moved to.

I have to think that these aren't the same chips coming to the GeForce line. Shader/Compute is the only thing that matters for games. It will be many generations before the Tensor and RT cores have any meaningful impact on gaming and by then these cards will long be obsolete. Doesn't make sense to use all that expensive real estate for no appreciable benefit in the here-and-now.

16 TFLOPS out of a 754mm chip is not a good gaming GPU.

I have to think that these aren't the same chips coming to the GeForce line. Shader/Compute is the only thing that matters for games. It will be many generations before the Tensor and RT cores have any meaningful impact on gaming and by then these cards will long be obsolete. Doesn't make sense to use all that expensive real estate for no appreciable benefit in the here-and-now.

That's my thinking too. We are not about to get a bunch of ray tracing capable cards. One word: Consoles.

Too bad crypto died, now I can't buy a card, pay it off in a few months and write it off tax time :mad:

But there are several shots of a card that looks a lot like the current FE cards. How are you concluding open air?
The majority of the footage is just of current builders and previous systems featured on the GeForce website. I concluded that the card the various people are holding is a 10-series.

There have been rumors that the next gaming chip will be Ampere and not Turing. After seeing how large/expensive Turing is and how much of it is dedicated to non-gaming functions its almost certainly true it wont be used in GeForce

Videocardz had a "neat" article on this teaser. They looked at the chat boxes in the video and they hint towards the naming scheme of the cards. If they are indeed intending to keep the RTX scheme for the consumer products, AMD could easily throw their RTG tag on the next gen stuff they do and the average consumer wouldn't really know the difference. It would be a seemingly silly move for nvidia to keep the RTX scheme for consumer products with a such a long history behind the GTX name, especially for a single new technology like ray tracing.

I held on to my 770 until the 10 series arrived, and got a screaming deal on a 1080Ti before the mining craze went full-bore. I'm playing KC: D at 2560x1600, staying around 60 fps. Nvidia's announcement may be interesting, but after their recent shenanigans I'll wait to see what AMD does in the next gen.

There have been rumors that the next gaming chip will be Ampere and not Turing. After seeing how large/expensive Turing is and how much of it is dedicated to non-gaming functions its almost certainly true it wont be used in GeForce
If it's true that they can get 16 TFLOPS out of a 12nm GPU when half of the chip isn't contributing to that number it suggests that the "big" Ampere chip could be pretty amazing, 25 TFLOP range doesn't seem unreasonable. That's like double 1080Ti performance.

Maybe it's just me, but "Be For The Game" seems like an awkward and stupid slogan.

Agree on the slogan. Maybe they were doing that corporate marketing forced l33t thing, thinking it's still funny? "B4theG8m" maybe?

Wait a minute.

4 is half of 8, and B is the second letter of the alphabet, so 2,4, 8... 2^3 is 8. And they're launching before the game, but what game, then... Half Life 3 confirmed?

(Do we still make that joke? I'm a little out of the loop myself).

Agree on the slogan. Maybe they were doing that corporate marketing forced l33t thing, thinking it's still funny? "B4theG8m" maybe?

Wait a minute.

4 is half of 8, and B is the second letter of the alphabet, so 2,4, 8... 2^3 is 8. And they're launching before the game, but what game, then... Half Life 3 confirmed?

(Do we still make that joke? I'm a little out of the loop myself).

We will never stop making this joke.

Cooling Operation Logistics Offering Greater Net Earnings? Interesting. I shall relay that information to Remulak using my multi-function portable electronic communication device with polycarbonate unibody shell.

Cologne is actually an acronym.

Cooling Operation Logistics Offering Greater Net Earnings

edit: Changed anagram to acronym because it's too early and my coffee hasn't kicked in.
Wait what... ?? Coffee kicks in ?? man I think im drinking waaay to much coffee, cause it makes no difference to me anymore how much I drink :D "and no" it's not decaff

When a mid range card has a recommended price of $700, then you know nVidia is all about the gamers...

I hope they get some games to make use of the ray tracing effects if nvidia actually puts it into consumer cards this year. I'm not buying either way until 2019. That is my next upgrade year.

1700 --> Ryzen 2
1080 --> (hopefully some sort of competitive AMD graphics card)
43" 4k sony tv/monitor --> 43-55" 4k oled tv with hdmi 2.1 and please gods some sort of variable refresh support and 120+ Hz.

Hoping for some cards with 16GB configurations. Scared to see what the MSRPs are gonna be though. Remember when flagship cards were $400? I used to complain endlessly about that. Now I wish we could go back to those days. I'd like to upgrade but I should at least wait until next year to see what RTG puts out. I wonder if they really will have 7nm GPUs next year.

Back