Nvidia SUPER Refresh: Faster 2060, 2070, 2080, Faster GDDR6 and $100 Off

Have to agree with current pricing a &499 1080ti tier card is pretty solid.

Even vs a used 1080ti for $450 I would pony up the $50 extra for the efficiency ,performance and driver support you get in the new card. Warranty too obv.

I'm sure some of you are snobs and hate LTT, but just watched their vid on them too.

Their info is generally fine, but the presentation is obnoxious.

This one wasn't too bad.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
The annoying thing with youtubers is I would rather just read the data in a single paged article summary vs scanning through an 8 min video or clicking through a 20 page "sponsored content" style review for something that could be summarized in one page in a few paragraphs with a few performance comparison charts.

The annoying thing with youtubers is I would rather just read the data in a single paged article summary vs scanning through an 8 min video or clicking through a 20 page "sponsored content" style review for something that could be summarized in one page in a few paragraphs with a few performance comparison charts.

A one page review would be utter shit and entirely worthless. Reviews need enough data and information to not only fully back up the conclusion but to also allow the reader/watcher to form their own opinion. You can NEVER get the full picture of a GPU, CPU, etc with a single page review and a couple benchmarks. It simply does not work that way. You are asking to go back to the days when half-assed reviews were shoved into magazines and barely provided any useful data to people. No thank you. I want MORE reviews that go into GamersNexus level depth, or even deeper.

Even vs a used 1080ti for $450 I would pony up the $50 extra for the efficiency ,performance and driver support you get in the new card. Warranty too obv.
Its a good point about what the new provides. But with this sort of performance available at $500ish for thelast year or so (albeit used in a 1080ti) its hard to get super excited.

That said I will probably look to snag a discounted or used 2060 super in the fall.

A one page review would be utter shit and entirely worthless. Reviews need enough data and information to not only fully back up the conclusion but to also allow the reader/watcher to form their own opinion. You can NEVER get the full picture of a GPU, CPU, etc with a single page review and a couple benchmarks. It simply does not work that way. You are asking to go back to the days when half-assed reviews were shoved into magazines and barely provided any useful data to people. No thank you. I want MORE reviews that go into GamersNexus level depth, or even deeper.

I should have clarified, by one page, I was thinking of a review like this:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3486-nvidia-rtx-2060-super-and-2070-super-review-benchmarks
not one that requires clicking through 30 pages with a single chart on each page.

GamersNexus and HWUB are the only computer HW review channels I subscribe, and they have the extra saving grace that they do written reviews for pretty much all their reviews as well. Here are the text reviews for the Super Cards:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3486-nvidia-rtx-2060-super-and-2070-super-review-benchmarks
https://www.techspot.com/review/1865-geforce-rtx-super/

You can pretty much skim all the meaningful info in a couple of minutes from the text reviews, and HWUB does these great combined charts comparing one card in all games in a snapshot:
2060_2070.png

I should have clarified, by one page, I was thinking of a review like this:
not one that requires clicking through 30 pages with a single chart on each page.

That makes sense. Personally, I don't mind multiple pages as long as the pages are well used. If its just a single chart on the page then its annoying. I like the way [H] used to break up pages. Made the split feel natural to the article and let them focus down on specific elements. However, most sites just toss charts up with little to no commentary on it, which makes it feel like the split was more for ad revenue than what would make for a better review.

GamersNexus and HWUB are the only computer HW review channels I subscribe, and they have the extra saving grace that they do written reviews for pretty much all their reviews as well. Here are the text reviews for the Super Cards:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1865-geforce-rtx-super/

You can pretty much skim all the meaningful info in a couple of minutes from the text reviews, and HWUB does these great combined charts comparing one card in all games in a snapshot:
View attachment 171505

I really like HUB/Techspot's big comparison charts. Makes for a rather nice way to double check stuff down the road.

Reactions: mikeo
like this

I'll disagree. Given what you could get a used or new 1080ti for over the last year, its not impressive. They're also keeping the 2060 around at $349 for some reason despite the fact that up until a few weeks ago you had custom 1660ti cards pushing $310-320 and custom 2060 cards at $370-400. I note that many custom cards have dropped $20-30 recently. So much for "clearance" pricing.

Still a pricing screw job all around the gpu world in my opinion. But hey, the xx60 model cards are 1440p now supposedly, can't do rtx that well or the vaunted DLSS and cost $400 or $350 if you want the gimped memory model. Maybe the 2080 Super will actually be worth $700. Time to wait and see that review in 3 weeks and Navi reviews.

I told you these are rumors, and you followed up suggesting these are, in fact, rumors.

That pic needs to be bigger, btw. ;)

Seriously though, I suspect the pricing is going to be take-no-prisoners, and if I'm the head of the RTG group (is there anyone left over there, that hasn't gone to Intel?) then I am - together with Lisa Su in her office, or separately - clutching a bottle of johnny walker at the exact moment Jen-Hsun struts out on stage at E3, does his typical "drunk heil hitler wedding wave" and flashes the new prices on screens.

Except we all know that won't be true, because it is AMD running the show @ 7nm, allows them to dictate industry prices, not Nvidia.

Nvidia thinks the RTX 2060 can compete with the 5700 at $349...?
I think we will see what the aftermarket does... and how games treat each architecture.

Last edited:
Except we all know that won't be true, because it is AMD running the show @ 7nm, allows them to dictate industry prices, not Nvidia.

Nvidia thinks the RTX 2060 can compete with the 5700 at $349...?
I think we will see what the aftermarket does... and how games treat each architecture.

Why can AMD dictate industry prices because they are on 7nm?

tbh the current GPU situation as of today is no different then what was available last year during the RTX launch.

Last year AMD was nonexistant, used/leftover GTX 1000 series cards presented better value then say their RTX counterparts.
This year AMD exists and now coexists with leftover non super cards (and some openbox) RTX cards (replacing the GTX 1000s of yore) that present greater value then the RTX super lineup.

Last year AMD was nonexistant, used/leftover GTX 1000 series cards presented better value then say their RTX counterparts.
This year AMD exists and now coexists with leftover non super cards (and some openbox) RTX cards (replacing the GTX 1000s of yore) that present greater value then the RTX super lineup.

Don't make comparisons about new and used prices, especially with respect to newly released cards.

tbh the current GPU situation as of today is no different then what was available last year during the RTX launch.

The mental gymnastics of fanboys. It's simple, if you don't like a product don't buy it

So, how many own, card in hand and installed, the Super cards? Hmm? Yeah, guess you will wait where as I could, if I wanted to, buy a 5700 or XT today.

So, how many own, card in hand and installed, the Super cards? Hmm? Yeah, guess you will wait where as I could, if I wanted to, buy a 5700 or XT today.
You ever wonder why every new nvidia release is sold out, yet the 5700 series by amd can't even manage to?

I love my 5700xt more than my 2080ti for some reason. Sigh.... cant figure it out.

Games feel smoother and look richer. Videos look more vibrant on YouTube and movies.

2080ti is a monster but it feels like its loosely tuned compared to the slower but better image quality xt.

I love my 5700xt more than my 2080ti for some reason. Sigh.... cant figure it out.

Games feel smoother and look richer. Videos look more vibrant on YouTube and movies.

2080ti is a monster but it feels like its loosely tuned compared to the slower but better image quality xt.

Smoother because of Adaptive sync differences maybe?

Very curious about differences in IQ too. Cameras have their own IQ signature as well, but it's usually not something that stands out dramatically.

More likely the placebo effect.

I just knew someone was going to come in with that sooner or later. No dude, it is not a placebo effect, the individual has both cards, in use and has actual on hand experience. But whatever, this actual experience has been born out by many users over the years and yet, people still try to poo poo it, ignore it or downplay it. Oh well, enjoy your lesser experience. :)

I just knew someone was going to come in with that sooner or later. No dude, it is not a placebo effect, the individual has both cards, in use and has actual on hand experience. But whatever, this actual experience has been born out by many users over the years and yet, people still try to poo poo it, ignore it or downplay it. Oh well, enjoy your lesser experience. :)

Exactly what effect are you talking about? Slower cards feeling smoother, than faster cards, the opposite to what logic and measurement would indicate?

Maybe you don't know what the placebo effect is? Someone excited about something new they just rushed to buy as soon as available, feels it's special. That is quintessential placebo effect.

Why aren't professional reviewers seeing this? Probably because it's a job to them, so they don't get excited by their new purchase, and believe it's special. IOW they aren't suffering from the placebo effect.

Exactly what effect are you talking about? Slower cards feeling smoother, than faster cards, the opposite to what logic and measurement would indicate?

Maybe you don't know what the placebo effect is? Someone excited about something new they just rushed to buy as soon as available, feels it's special. That is quintessential placebo effect.

Why aren't professional reviewers seeing this? Probably because it's a job to them, so they don't get excited by their new purchase, and believe it's special. IOW they aren't suffering from the placebo effect.

Whatever dude, there is no way anyone who is an Nvidia fan is ever going to agree with it and yes, I am an AMD fan but, I have seen physical evidence of this. Also, tests have been ran that show evidence of this as well but hey, I am not going to try to prove it to you because you are not going to listen. Enjoy you lesser experience.

Whatever dude, there is no way anyone who is an Nvidia fan is ever going to agree with it and yes, I am an AMD fan but, I have seen physical evidence of this. Also, tests have been ran that show evidence of this as well but hey, I am not going to try to prove it to you because you are not going to listen. Enjoy you lesser experience.

So, non-measurable magic effect only works on AMD fans. Got it. Not placebo effect at all. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have experienced this time and again and others have as well. Really, just enjoy it for what it is. It has been this way for a long time when you finally experience these things side by side. Also, so far, no consumers have the Super cards in their hands, that I am aware of.

I've used both extensively and never noticed a difference really.

Having anything that would change IQ so that it is noticable should be examined more, especially if it also affects image editing programs.

I've used both extensively and never noticed a difference really.

Having anything that would change IQ so that it is noticable should be examined more, especially if it also affects image editing programs.
iirc, AMD cards tend to render the cinebench reference image more accurately than nvidia cards, but I don't know that it would be noticeable. nvidia cards also mess with color vibrance and other post-processing stuff, which might look good to some people but put others off.

Not sure if any Supers have shipped yet, but evga has the auto-notify available for several models. Likely means they are a week, maybe 2 away from having stock.

To demonstrate the image quality differences (tangoseal), you would need to do a blind taste test like Kyle did about a year ago to see if anyone else perceives the image quality differences... without that evidence to back up the claims, it is most likely Choice supportive bias (Similar to the placebo effect). And as snowdog mentioned, why haven't reviewers also picked up on it?

Color reproduction is better on AMD cards, have to tune the crap out of each Nvidia card I have owned to get good color. As far as smoothness it has nothing to do with frames per second, granted they have to be high enough to begin with. I owned a 8800GT sli setup and despite the fact the fps was decent those cards were a god damn stutter fest at times and was very noticeable even tho by fps it was good enough to supposedly be smooth. The less the frame rate jumps around the better, not necessarily being the highest means the smoothest. It's also possible on a complete AMD platform it will run a touch better as well.

Back