Nvidia Stops Promotional Game Resales by Tying Codes to Hardware

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Feb 2, 2017.

1. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

You conveniently forgot its a serial number verification that gives you a key/code to use and is not some imprisoning lock down to one gpu like nvidia. You didn't even read the t&c. It gives you STEAM KEYS after verification.

You are an nvidia apologist. Through and through. Attacking amd for something they are not doing liked nvidia at all.

2. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

read my post above and read the damn t&c before becoming an nvidia apologist. Unlike you guys I actually purchase amd stuff and have been through their redemption processes, instead of spreading FUD and bs here.

3. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

You
    Reading is fundamental.

renz496, DPI, scojer and 2 others like this.
  4. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Yeah, but people also choose which Steam games to buy, and there is a refund policy if they don't like them.

Stimpy88 likes this.
  5. FrgMstr

Just think, you could buy the video card, and just leave the code in the box.......like it never existed. Problem solved. :)

renz496 likes this.
  6. Zarathustra[H]

Interesting. I did not realize AMD did this as well. Admittedly it's been a while since I bought an AMD GPU. Last one was my 7970 about a week after launch day

7. Shintai

Shintai [H]ardness Supreme

Its the exact same as NVidia. And AMD have already been doing this for a little year?

[​IMG]

8. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

So you buy a card that lets say comes with TitanFall 2 and you activate it on that card your new 1070. Late December there is a small flood in the basement and your PC is trashed. You buy a new Zen and Vega and your game that you legitimately received and paid for as part of the bundle will never work again?

9. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

You beat me to it :( lol

But seriously, Shintai what he says is true, and that's a very important distinction between the two. Sure, the additional step is annoying, and sometimes even glitches (I believe it has happened twice to AMD so far where the program wasn't properly IDing hardware), but in the end you get a CODE in hand.

10. Semantics

Semantics 2[H]4U

nope, assuming you already activated it that titanfall 2 will be tied to your origin account which is independent, it just requires you to have a 1070 installed to activate the code and log-into origin to activate the game on there.

Vader1975 likes this.
  11. Shintai

You only need to have the hardware the first time. After that the game is in your steam library, origin etc like any other game. No limitation.

Vader1975 likes this.
  12. FrgMstr

CARD AND GFE REQUIRED FOR GAME ACTIVATION ONLY

renz496, Vaulter98c and Shintai like this.
  13. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

What's that sonny, I didn't quite catch that

Ranulfo, MoFoQ and SuperAnt like this.
  14. SlayVus

SlayVus Limp Gawd

1) Sell key on [H]
    2) Have buyer TeamViewer into your PC and login with their GFE account and Steam/Uplay/Origin
    3) Activate your code on their account
    4) Buyer logs out of all account
    5) Profit from sell of Nvidia bundle game code.

Or find someone for all of [H] to act as an intermediary with a 1080/1070 system with nothing on it but Windows. The seller gives the code to the buyer and the buyer pays a small fee to intermediary to login to their system for activation. Setup the system so like the only things and websites the user can go to are only related Nvidia/Uplay/steam/origin.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  15. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

its a game thats included for free for the purchase of a specific GPU, I really dont get why nvidia or the devs care in any way at all. i mean, the copy is paid for either way and you cant count that as a lost sale to begin with anyway.... sheesh.

See? the argument works both ways ;)
    its a shortsighted move thats simply there to get more people to install their crap software and thats all this is really about. we should really just leave the sale points out of it- it doesnt have anything substantial to do with the argument.

16. FrgMstr

Hehe, that's brilliant.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  17. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

Yeah, your so smart...

I will enjoy the fastest products in the market, pity AMD doesn't make them, but AMD DOES NOT MAKE THEM. I'm not going to boycott a GPU over a $60 game I don't care about, or the might happens of the tin foil hat kind.

18. Zarathustra[H]

Complicated, would have to be two people who trust each other, but I like it!

19. cthulhuiscool

cthulhuiscool 2[H]4U

Makes sense actually, back when I bought my 960 it had a promo for a copy of MGS5. I first got the 2gb model but it was doa so I decided to just return for a refund and buy the 4gb model. Amazon ended up sending me 2 codes.
    While it wasn't intention to scam them, I could see how that could be abused to hell.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  20. SlayVus

SlayVus Limp Gawd

You already have people trusting people to mail them $100-$1000 items in the mail.

21. Cally

Cally Limp Gawd

Let them keep their games, Just give me a better/lower price on the card itself.

Vader1975 likes this.
  22. Slava

Slava 2[H]4U

This is just stupid. You pay 600 dollars for each card to SLI them and you get 2 identical games. You should be able to give that game to someone or sell it. Nvidia made a deal with game developer to bundle the game for free. So it's between Nvidia and Developer to get paid. It's not like you exploiting the code and making unlimited keys lol

Vader1975 and Creig like this.
  23. Advil

Advil [H]ard|Gawd

Look, I guess if they want to piss everyone off and mess with a system we all like because EVERYONE wins... whatever. OK.

My beef comes in 2 flavors:
    1) It's clearly another hook to get everyone to log into Geforce Experience. We, as enthusiast gamers, don't want YET ANOTHER background crap app running. How can a gaming company not comprehend that? Nor do I want them sifting what games I'm playing. Steam knows enough about my habits already.
    2) So they want to keep the bundle with the purchaser of the card... I get it. But the laws of unintended consequences are many. What if that same perfectly legit original purchaser owns several gaming computers and wants the game on a different machine, with a different video card and that machine has it's own online accounts with Steam/Origin/etc? Getting around all that will be a flaming nightmare.

So yeah... if they want to make it this inconvenient then I agree. STOP BUNDLING GAMES. And make the cards cheaper. Because this is just a pain in the posterior.

Creig and {NG}Fidel like this.
  24. Slava

Slava 2[H]4U

Geforce Experience is all screwed up for me, it says I have a driver update but wont let me update. It's been broken for me for like 2 months. Uninstalled that crap.

25. buttons

buttons [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, but steam games are extremely cheap during holidays. I dont mind spending $7-15 for a game -- when im spending $59 i want a physical copy to resell for $35 if and when it becomes boring.

26. MoFoQ

MoFoQ Gawd

kinda funny actually since for every time I buy a NVidia GPU, I miss out on "whatever the latest hotness" game bundle

on a side note, I did buy Civ6 thru an AMD promo so there's that :D

27. Stiler

Stiler [H]ardForum Junkie

This whole thing seems rather stupid to me, why doe sit matter?

Nvidia has to pay for these codes in the first place, and the people that get them have to buy a graphics card.

Both nvidia/game publisher are getting the money, so why is it such a huge deal if pedro sells his game code or gives it to a friend instead of using it himself?

Flogger23m, MoFoQ and {NG}Fidel like this.
  28. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

It isn't but they want more money. And nvidia wants gfe to be popular so they found a shit solution

29. MoFoQ

MoFoQ Gawd

perhaps people do returns and keep the codes.

easy way to solve that would be to make the codes available to registered users (aka, I always register my GPUs [evga] and pay for the 10yr + advanced rma for my own "peace of mind")

30. krotch

krotch [H]ardness Supreme

So stuck having waiting for the gpu to show up and get installed before I can use the code. Well that sucks, cause everything takes a week to get to me and sometimes places have just photocopied the code and emailed it to me right after purchase. Not Newegg though, they just stuff the code postcard thing into the box.

31. krotch

krotch [H]ardness Supreme

I knew someone who went to return the code, since they started bundling a new game with the same GPU. They didn't take the code back and instead, gave him a code for the new game. So he got the old bundled game and the new bundled game.

MoFoQ likes this.
  32. Shintai

I dont see how owning multiple gaming PCs is a limit. You just login on the valid one with the accounts used on another PC. Activate and then you can go play on the other PC.

33. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

nVidia are a morally bankrupt company, always have been.

Stryker7314 likes this.
  34. FrgMstr

Just think one moment where PC gaming would be without NVIDIA.

35. BulletDust

BulletDust [H]ardness Supreme

I haven't seen a game bundled with an Nvidia GPU for a good ten years now! Even when they were bundled with games I never played them, all I wanted was the card, didn't give a crap about the game.

36. Syntax_Error

Syntax_Error [H]Lite

Internet has taught me one thing: if Nvidia (or Intel, for that matter) is doing something, anything, it has got to be evil and underhanded, and if you don't think so then you are either a noob, a shill or have more money than brains... period. And we all know that the internet is always right.

WorldExclusive likes this.
  37. lilbabycat

lilbabycat 2[H]4U

Stimpy I think you neglect to recognize the amount of work that goes into those GPU's. I'd like to believe the industry overall ultimately decides baseline performance. That 5-10% you see them fighting over is optimization. That and profit margin. Transistor count / die size has skyrocketed, but I presume the cost to make those chips has gotten cheaper year to year. AMD has commonly caught up to Nvidia in the past few gens with inflated transistor counts and basically inhouse overclocking. Not unlike Intel vs AMD. They're always catching up.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004/0421/kaigai01l.gif
    [​IMG]

38. tviceman

tviceman Limp Gawd

I'm interested to see how Nvidia can activate the game for you via Steam / UPlay, or whatever. I don't see how they can activate a game on any of those services on your account, and especially before supplying a game key.

This needs to be verified, but I bet GFE does the card / system check, then spits out a key, and then requests to launch whatever client the key activates on to streamline the process. Otherwise GFE is gaining access to your steam, origin, Uplay account and manipulating it which is probably some kind of terms of service violation.

I'll bet s coke a cola I'm right, and the only thing this whole mess does is require the purchaser to install their graphics card and activate GFE before deciding how to use the game key.

39. Creig

Creig Gawd

Congratulations. Attitudes like yours are exactly the reason why companies feel they can pull off crap like this.

40. Shintai

And then it would just be the company instead of NVidia that would get blamed for everything.

Semantics, Vaulter98c and renz496 like this.