NVIDIA Sponsors 100th Bay Area Girl Geek Dinner

HardOCP News

[H] News
It’s girl geek time. In a male-dominated industry, women in tech are creating communities, sidestepping barriers and developing robust networks. We’re finding ways to foster these connections. Last week, we sponsored the 100th Bay Area Girl Geek Dinner, at our Silicon Valley campus. The event sold out in less than an hour and drew more than 200 women, with a waiting list just as long. By connecting women in tech, the event helps advance those early in their careers, supports those looking to lead, offers insight into how tech companies operate and helps create a diverse pool from which to recruit.

It's about time. I'm glad they finally have an industry they can take refuge in. For too long women have had no industry to feel comfortable in.

Now that this social injustice has been taken care, can we please find an industry for the gays and jews to find refuge it? They have been persecuted for too long!

Diversity remains a hot topic in high tech. We want to accelerate the progress of women and other minorities at tech companies. Women make up 26 percent of the computing workforce in 2013, according to the National Center of Women & Information Technology’s most recent statistics. Retention is a problem as about 56 percent of women in technology leave their employers mid-career.

This statistic seems very.....normal to me. Women got important stuff to do. Making video cards is not that important in the long run. Women may not realize just how important they really are.

Retention being a problem because women bear children? Just a wild guess.

I sure hope the Irish are grouped in with those minorities. Och, me kin need some work!

Glad to see only the male dominated industries where women generally seem to lose interest are being seen to and that politically correct progress is being made in the best interest of all. /s

Retention being a problem because women bear children? Just a wild guess.

Sounds like we're on the same page here: Artificial wombs in the office. Come in to see your baby, stay to program for 18hrs straight!

Men shed the most delicious tears when they're trying to wave a banner of unjust treatment without realizing they've become the very "social justice warriors" they decry.

Jokes on all of you. I gave up on tech a couple months ago and sell insurance now. I'm surrounded all day by women who are actually attractive, have social skills and don't carry some ridiculous chip on their shoulder that they need to be given an advantage.

It's great. For the first time in my career I don't have to worry that talking to the wrong one will get me fired.

Men should do some organizing to get "fair representation" in elementary education. Well actually they should try getting into college period since a lot of schools are around 60-65% female. Alas all the mindless "diversity" initiatives are a reason businesses like McDonald's are crashing. The best and brightest aren't favored anymore.

Back