NVIDIA SLI Licensed For Core I7 And Core I5 Platforms

HardOCP News

[H] News
NVIDIA Corporation today announced that Intel Corporation, and the world’s other leading motherboard manufacturers, including ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, and MSI, have all licensed NVIDIA® SLI® technology for inclusion on their Intel® P55 Express Chipset-based motherboards designed for the upcoming Intel® Core™ i7 and i5 processor in the LGA1156 socket. As a result, customers who purchase a validated P55-based motherboard and Core i7 or Core i5 processor when available can equip their PCs with any combination of NVIDIA® GeForce® GPUs, including Quad SLI, for the ultimate visual computing experience.

Nice. Might have to keep an eye on those CPUs and see how well they perform.

Nice to see that the "mainstream" P55 chipset is going to get SLI functionality, yet my ASUS P6T SE X58 board isn't SLI-certified. Go figure.

Of course, my board is probably one of the only ones that doesn't have SLI.

Nice to see that the "mainstream" P55 chipset is going to get SLI functionality, yet my ASUS P6T SE X58 board isn't SLI-certified. Go figure.

Of course, my board is probably one of the only ones that doesn't have SLI.

Not like you're missing anything significant! ;)

Not like you're missing anything significant! ;)

Indeed. Unless you plan to go SLI for some reason or another (I did it because it was cheap enough and I felt like it) you're not missing anything by not having a SLI certified board.

Yes: On the 1156 socket, an i7 is a quad with HT. The i5 quads do not have HT.

Oh, okay, so then on 1366 they will still have tri-channel ddr3, but in the 1156 just dual channel and HT...

Interesting...

This is interesting news - I might just start considering a i5 build a little earlier than expected. I wonder how this will affect the motherboard pricing...

It would suck if it affects the pricing.. stupid licensing. They should make it more free to use like Crossfire.
Besides it's only a small percent of people who actually can justify the cost and afford or even need SLI. I like to keep it simple, with one fast GPU.

Sounds like I may finally have a reason to upgrade my system again sometime next year! I'm still happily 'limping along' with a Q6600 running on an old P965 chipset.

Nice. Now we can get SLI with a chipset that doesn't suck. :p

Agreed, I just had to deal with some crazy bios fix that broke older cpu support to fix the data corruption problem on nforce4. I am never using a nvidia chipset again. That is the kinda of glaring problem that needs to be fixed with testing before it is released, something that intel does very well.

Agreed, I just had to deal with some crazy bios fix that broke older cpu support to fix the data corruption problem on nforce4. I am never using a nvidia chipset again. That is the kinda of glaring problem that needs to be fixed with testing before it is released, something that intel does very well.

Pfft, as if! NVIDIA's been using their customers as paying beta testers for the last 10 years now, why would they change such a profitable business model? ;)

Pfft, as if! NVIDIA's been using their customers as paying beta testers for the last 10 years now, why would they change such a profitable business model? ;)

Hey, the NF2 was a great chipset. Even if that was the only really good one they made. Don't have any complaints about the 750i yet, other than that my new speakers are exposing that the on-board audio isn't that great.

Back