NVIDIA Shows World's Only Consumer 3D Multi-Display Solution

This is the headline from CNNS site;

"Entire 3D Vision Ecosystem on Display in NVIDIA Booth, Including World's Only Consumer 3D Multi-Display Solution Running on NVIDIA GeForce GPUs and the First Sneak Peek of YouTube 3D"

If you read into this tag line notice it says Geforce GPUs as in more than one, now does that mean you need at least SLi to run this or is that referring to the entire line of Fermi?

I would like to see it in action before I brush it off however my wallet isn’t that deep, hopefully local game shops will display it.

And to be fair Laserdisc was going on 15 years old when DVD came around..20 years by the time it was phased out. Laserdisc paved the way for digital audio (off shooting the Compact Disc in the early 80's) and then later became the first medium to make true discrete surround sound widely available to the consumer market.

It was the small steps of the Laserdisc that got us to the DVD. And likewise these are the steps we have to take before someone finally gets a lightbulb moment and comes out with the next big break in display technology.

Correct, it was necessary to advance the technology but not mainstream or useful by any stretch. As an fyi I have a laser disc player and a good 65 or so laser discs still, reminds me I should ebay them. That said, that is precisely why I compared this too laserdisc.

You called 3d vision on 2d flat screens a gimmick. He wanted to know what is your experience with 3d vision on 2d flat screens. What games have you played in 3d? With what setup?

Actually he asked about 3d stereo, go read his comment. Furthermore I said nothing about gaming specifically. However since you asked, given 3d in a normal work space is nothing more then a gimmick and does not improve workflow. Once one realizes that, then one can logically make an educated guess that it will not aid gaming in any manner either. Not to mention people simply aren't going to enjoy having to wear an additional item to use. The only worn peripheral that has ever maintained any level of acceptance are headsets. Every single other worn peripheral that has ever been introduced has quickly disappeared off the market. People on the whole don't want to wear more crap to use their computer then they already do.

Is it interesting to see what they are doing with 3d? Yes, it most certainly is. However it is nothing more then a stepping stone much like laser disc was.

3d gaming with shuttered glasses......hmmmmmm.

Nothing new there!

and btw folks, I am talk 1980's tech that used this very "technology" on a plain ole tv.

3d gaming with shuttered glasses......hmmmmmm.

Nothing new there!

and btw folks, I am talk 1980's tech that used this very "technology" on a plain ole tv.

Eyefinity is not new tech either. AMD borrowed it from Nvidia Quadro. Your point?

Yay, Eyefinity + 3D, now all people will say that Eyefinity if the way to go since nVidia will also support it.
Do you ever look at the things you post and go "Wow, did I really just post that? Do I really think this way?"

3d
3 monitors
3 way SLI
GTX 380

$3,000?
Probably. I really don't know any PC gamers who have that kind of cash to spend on this kind of thing.

Do I still have to wear the stupid glasses??/QUOTE]
Yep.

Eyefinity is not new tech either. AMD borrowed it from Nvidia Quadro. Your point?
And NVIDIA "borrowed" it from Matrox. Let's not pretend like NVIDIA invented anything here.

AMD borrowed it from Nvidia Quadro. Your point?

lol

you mean AMD borrowed it from Matrox, like Nvidia borrowed it from Matrox ;) (another history lesson by figgie)

Shuttered glases (the omg 3d that has come and went through NUMEROUS generations), hasn't caught on before, just because it is now supported on multi-monitor displays, won't change that it is just a plain ole "gimmick", again. For the 6th time (and counting).

Do you ever look at the things you post and go "Wow, did I really just post that? Do I really think this way?"

Probably. I really don't know any PC gamers who have that kind of cash to spend on this kind of thing.

Do I still have to wear the stupid glasses??/QUOTE]
Yep.

And NVIDIA "borrowed" it from Matrox. Let's not pretend like NVIDIA invented anything here.

You didn't notice that people who downplay triple screen gaming suddenly quiet down around here, I wonder why is that. ;)

This is all great and all for PC gaming but I can't help thinking that the consoles will eventually support this too. If Nvidia and AMD are going to have different standards it will only hurt the progress of it. Since it looks like AMD/ATI will still be working with MIcrosoft for the next console I can't help think that Eyefinity will eventually win out.

You didn't notice that people who downplay triple screen gaming suddenly quiet down around here, I wonder why is that. ;)
I haven't been spending much time in the VC sub-forum, no (for obvious reasons). What people are you referring to, specifically?

If Nvidia and AMD are going to have different standards it will only hurt the progress of it.
They're fundamentally the same thing. Eyefinity and, ostensibly, 3D Surround, are features that you enable at a driver-level. The games themselves are "unaware" that they're being projected across multiple displays, just as games might be "unaware" that you might have enabled anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering.

As for consoles supporting multi-display technology, yeah, that might happen eventually, but not this generation. I think 3D is going to have more of an impact there given that 3D TVs will have already begun to saturate the marketplace, so the next-gen consoles will more than likely be tailored for the 3D experience. Multi-display PCs have been around for a long time, but odds are you've never seen anyone with two TVs side by side.

Besides which, Vizio announced a 2.35:1 LCD at CES this year, and I don't doubt that that's going to be the real future for the living room -- not multi-display.

Everytime 3d vision shows up in a thread we get the same pattern.
Users with no experience, usually ATI boys, that want to put it down without EVER seen it in action.
I just wish they all lived near so show them some REAL 3d gaming in my dlp tv...it would be fun to see their jaws drop then look all embarrased by their silly comments before.
Guys, we are all FREAKIN gamers...I do not care if you prefer ati or nvidia...this are just companies selling freakin video cars, this is not like having your favorite sports team...there are no feelings here....the fact is, I used to have ati but nvidia delivers what I want, which is real 3D...are you just tired of gaming on freakin flat screens for God's sake!
Look at how much power our cards have...look at how 3d interactive games have become yet we continue to experience them in a flat screen...it is just stupid.
Is like getting bluray with dts hd sound track and playing it through your tv speakers.
Embrace progress guys...I am sure ATI, seeing how 3d IS going to be the future, is not going to stand there doing nothing, they will join the revolution and finally I would be able to look at their cards when buying a new video card.
You can talk all the crap you want but the fact is, anyone who sees 3d vision rightly configured and calls himself a gamer, is going to be IMPRESSED as nothing, absolutely nothing changes the way you experience games like 3d vision does. 100 LCDs stitched together do not change the fact you are still looking at a flat world.
Stop denying yourself of the real 3d experience because fanboysim guys...try it and then demand ati to start doing something about it...at the end we all win as I would have ati as an option and we can finally experience games the way we should have been doing so for years now, in REAL 3D.
Regards

LOL, where do you live around man? :D I'd really like to try an actual game, seeing as Avatar in 3D seemed less gimmicky but still a gimmick to me. What games are you running; do you need >120 fps for it to work; does 3D reduce your fps, and by how much?

Users with no experience, usually ATI boys, that want to put it down without EVER seen it in action.
I just wish they all lived near so show them some REAL 3d gaming in my dlp tv...it would be fun to see their jaws drop then look all embarrased by their silly comments before.
Guys, we are all FREAKIN gamers...I do not care if you prefer ati or nvidia...this are just companies selling freakin video cars, this is not like having your favorite sports team...there are no feelings here....the fact is, I used to have ati but nvidia delivers what I want, which is real 3D...are you just tired of gaming on freakin flat screens for God's sake!
Look at how much power our cards have...look at how 3d interactive games have become yet we continue to experience them in a flat screen...it is just stupid.
Is like getting bluray with dts hd sound track and playing it through your tv speakers.
Embrace progress guys...I am sure ATI, seeing how 3d IS going to be the future, is not going to stand there doing nothing, they will join the revolution and finally I would be able to look at their cards when buying a new video card.
You can talk all the crap you want but the fact is, anyone who sees 3d vision rightly configured and calls himself a gamer, is going to be IMPRESSED as nothing, absolutely nothing changes the way you experience games like 3d vision does. 100 LCDs stitched together do not change the fact you are still looking at a flat world.
Stop denying yourself of the real 3d experience because fanboysim guys...try it and then demand ati to start doing something about it...at the end we all win as I would have ati as an option and we can finally experience games the way we should have been doing so for years now, in REAL 3D.
Regards

I wasn't impressed with it back in the Sega Master System era. (so that makes me what? A nintendo "fan boy"?), Sega Saturn, etc etc.

Same tech which the ONLY progression is, higher Hertz! oohhhh ahhhh. So why would I be impressed now? Because the games themselves look better than before?

Please, quite being obtuse and generalizing everyone into fanboys just because round 6 is supposed to be the winning round for 3d.

LOL, where do you live around man? :D I'd really like to try an actual game, seeing as Avatar in 3D seemed less gimmicky but still a gimmick to me. What games are you running; do you need >120 fps for it to work; does 3D reduce your fps, and by how much?

it cuts it in half (more or less... its a little more complicated that that though)... on 120hz display, it will show your left eye 60hz and your right eye 60hz

Regards

3d is and has been nothing more then a gimmick for years. There is no reason to believe otherwise, it has nothing to do with supporting ATI or Nvidia. I consider Eyefinity just as much of a gimmick as 3d for that matter.

3d Vision and Eyefinity both will be mere afterthoughts in a few years just like all of their predecessors. They are just another stepping stone in an endless series of stepping stones until we develop technology that is true 3d. 3d vision is not and will never be true 3d as ultimately it is still just a flat screen. Really it is just a flat screen with an annoying piece of headgear and compatibility problems. Until we hit a point where technology allows the total elimination of a flat monitor to be replaced with a true 3d image that requires no special headgear, 3d will remain nothing more then an amusing gimmick.

Sorry if you disagree with me, I am simply forming an opinion based on years of watching technology develop. I have watched this kind of thing come and go more times then I can count now and given our current level of technological capability, I don't see it changing in the near future. At the end of the day while you may disagree with me, you will have an impossible time proving me wrong. I am simply beyond getting glassy eyed at the latest and greatest gadget and attaching myself and defending it blindly. It is new, it is cool, but at the end of the day it is nothing more then just another here today, gone tomorrow product.

Regards

Hi, I have indeed spent a day with 3Dvision when the last iteration came out and the 120hz monitors were on shelves. It was kinda neat, not really special, the glasses caused me quite a bit of eyestrain after only 30 minutes. At the end of the day, I had such a headache and my vision was sort of swimmy. I am definitely a gamer, been that way since the Intellivision. This did not impress me like you say, nor is it going to change my gaming experience.

3Dvision is still a flat screen, double rendered making things seem 3d due to shuttered glasses.

The 5850 I own now is my first ATI since the 9800 pro, the majority of my video cards have been nvidia (6600, 7950, 8800gt x2, 8800gts). I really have no preferance besides performance and price.

You're right on one thing, I have not seen this on a DLP TV though.

I had a Sega Master System back in the day. The 3d shutter glasses were horribly uncomfortable. No one's head is shaped like that. The low frequency, slow response lenses caused horrible eyestrain and headaches. But between having the bridge of your nose feel like axes were cutting into it, your mastoid bones squeezed into goo and your temples feeling like they had icepicks lodged in them, the effect added nice effects and depth.

If NVIDIA can bring the effect to a higher level of comfort, better, more comfortable glasses with larger lenses and frequencies >100hz per eye, then the technology might, finally, some day, be consumer friendly.

I'm far more interested in head tracking based 3d effects.

agreed ^

I think the sweet spot would around 120hz per eye, but honestly, polarized would be the best. The monitor frequency wouldn't be an issue, you'd have a large selection of glasses and it would probably be more acceptable to people that are sensitive to the flickering shutters.

The nvidia glasses are actually pretty nice though. They're fairly well made, but they do have some flaws

I really dont care about 3D, i dont get why people do. It does not enhance the experience enough to warrant the cost or time.

Agreed, get me better 2D picture first. Also all the setups I've tested has been flickering just too much. Reminds me of using 60hz on a CRT, and there you have your headache.

i don't see how anyone can complain about this announcement. nvidia now offers officially supported multimon gaming like amd coupled with their 3dvision that they've had for a few years now along with gpu physx. if you don't like multimon gaming or "3d" gaming or just think they are gimmicks then just ignore the news b/c they aren't meant for you but for others who might/ will find them enjoyable/ useful/ don't experience headaches or aren't annoyed by bezels. the technology will still progress and continue to improve and get better.

as far as i can tell so far, the multimon setup requires sli as of now to be able to make use of three displays (3 dvi ports) and works with 200 series or fermi. i don't think it should be too hard to have the ability to hook up 3 hdmi compatible displays to a single card with a pair of dvi-hdmi adapters. hopefully they allow for that too. though sli (and xfire) would be better for performance with the higher resolutions afforded by multimon. and it appears you can just play on a standard multimon setup with the ability to also display the game in 3dvision assuming you have all the right equipment and horsepower to do so.

all in all, a good announcement to make multimon gaming more mainstream, along with the ridiculous push by most everybody at ces 2010 for 3d tech. (nvidia, sony, tv manufacturers, directv, movie studios, etc.). guess it's all just another stepping stone to the holodeck. now if only truly innovative hardware accelerated physics would go mainstream, lol.

Back