NVIDIA Shield - unable to play ripped 4k ? ? ?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
So, here's the low down..

- Bought an NVIDIA shield 16G
- Have several UHD movies on my QNAP ( 4 x 2TB drives in raid 10)
- Copy UHD movies to a USB 3 750G SATA drive
- Connect to NVIDIA Shield USB port (tried both)
- Try to play said movies (56G in size with the individual stream files, playing the largest one)
- Stutter.....
- Copy movies instead to a USB 3 NVMe 256G SSD drive enclosure and connect to Shield
- Stutter

Tried using Kodi and MX player on the Shield to play said files..same result...

Should the Shield not be able to easily play these movies with out stuttering and pausing? MX player uses hardware encoding to play content as I understood it also..

The 750G USB 3 drive can do about 103MB/s on Crystal mark for reads and the USB 3 NVMe 256G drive hit 500MB/s average connected to my Desktop , so the source drives do not appear to be the problem...

Why do I not play them over the LAN you might ask?, Where my Shield is there is no RJ45 jack, otherwise i would hard wire and try to play from my QNAP NAS directly over wired LAN (working on running a new drop, but rent where i live), Over Wifi it will not play at all even on AC or N.

Even then the USB 3 direct connection should provide a bit more bandwidth then gigabyte LAN would..

Any thoughts?

Media info of one of the movies:

Total Bitrate: 62.74 Mbps
Video: MPEG-H HEVC Video / 50868 kbps / 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 Profile 5.1 High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / HDR / BT.2020 /
Audio: English / DTS:X/DTS-HD Master Audio / 7.1-X / 48 kHz / 5224 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)

Ya i dont this wired up to Gig yet, i would think it should play from a local USB 3 drive fine.

I did go through a set up plex server on the shield and it has played 2 movies for me so far with out issue, so still has me puzzled why MX or Kodi wont play it, considering SPMC and Kodi are almost identical.

I didn’t try usb but WiFi simply wouldn’t work. The bandwidth is there but it stutterers no matter what.

Another person on another site said to try and choose a different audio stream. So going to test that.

HEVC means h265 right? Can the shield handle 50mb/s? That's a lot of bandwidth for h265. Not unheard of, but have you tried something more reasonable like 20-25mb/s? Or did you "acquire" these pre-ripped and encoding isn't really an option?

Can you drop the bitrate down to see if that’s what it’s choking on? I don’t have any concerns about storage bandwidth. 50mbits per second is nothing for nearly all modern storage (even flash storage).

But I know decoders do have limitations on bitrates they can handle.

Just something to try.

Hey all, sorry been busy with work and such and have not done much with this. I still need to run a gig wire to the shield to see how it goes, but the USB 3 direct attached SSD should be fine to run a full rip with high end audio....

Try a different player/app on the SHIELD

The SHIELD can (and does for many people) handle 1:1 4K BR rips no problem

Back