Nvidia Shield TV Pro $169 @ Amazon - DEAL OVER

I really should get away from HTPC's like the one I'm typing this on. But I can't get away from the multi-tasking ability. Watching YT and want to look something up? If I'm using my smart TV, (along with ads) I have to get another device out, either phone or laptop. HTPC, I open a new tab.

If I could get GOOD aps for streaming content on PC (Everything sucks, especially audio over a browser) , or a windows esque interface on one of these streaming devices, I'd be happy. Either one. Now Ima flip over to my Ebay tab and check an auction before returning to my Youtube tab until I flip back here to look at memes.

Also fuck ads on YT.

You can buy a subscription to eliminate the ads you know ;).

Oh they inform me of that every time I look at YT on my phone. Maybe if they brought back YT Red for like $5 a month I'd consider it. I have 0 interest in live TV

Oh they inform me of that every time I look at YT on my phone. Maybe if they brought back YT Red for like $5 a month I'd consider it. I have 0 interest in live TV
I thought there was an ad free plan without TV called YouTube premium? Gonna go Google that now. EDIT: Yep, $12/month and includes music.

"YouTube Premium is a subscription service offered by the video platform YouTube. The service provides ad-free access to content across the service, as well as access to premium YouTube Originals."

I really should get away from HTPC's like the one I'm typing this on. But I can't get away from the multi-tasking ability. Watching YT and want to look something up? If I'm using my smart TV, (along with ads) I have to get another device out, either phone or laptop. HTPC, I open a new tab.

If I could get GOOD aps for streaming content on PC (Everything sucks, especially audio over a browser) , or a windows esque interface on one of these streaming devices, I'd be happy. Either one. Now Ima flip over to my Ebay tab and check an auction before returning to my Youtube tab until I flip back here to look at memes.

Also fuck ads on YT.

i don't know about the 'windows interface part'

there's many custom launchers but probably nothing like you're thinking (complexity) - unless you can deal with simpler, but customizable

but you can hook a m&kb up to it and control it that way, and for games, instead of a remote control/controller if you prefer

can also install/sideload web browsers

I’m sure there must be a way to eliminate ads from YouTube on the Shield. I remember doing it on my old Android phone back in the day. I know I haven’t seen an ad on my browser for years. Only on casting to another device.

I’m sure there must be a way to eliminate ads from YouTube on the Shield. I remember doing it on my old Android phone back in the day. I know I haven’t seen an ad on my browser for years. Only on casting to another device.
There is. Subscribe to YouTube premium.

Can you turn on caps lock? Having a tough time hearing you from up there.
Sorry, I had to sell my capslock to fund my youtube premium subscription. I guess basic society is tough to participate in and we all just steal what we want now? P. S. Pirates are leeching tools. Change my mind.

Sorry, I had to sell my capslock to fund my youtube premium subscription. I guess basic society is tough to participate in and we all just steal what we want now? P. S. Pirates are leeching tools. Change my mind.
Basic society? Running an adblock on my browser so I don't get continuous interruptions for Chinese fake products and RAAAAAAIIIID SHADOW LEGENDS! makes me a thief now?

Basic society? Running an adblock on my browser so I don't get continuous interruptions for Chinese fake products and RAAAAAAIIIID SHADOW LEGENDS! makes me a thief now?
You're pirating the service instead of paying when that option exists. You aren't entitled to it for free.

You're pirating the service instead of paying when that option exists. You aren't entitled to it for free.
True. Google makes enough cash off of me, either from my information or direct subscriptions. However, they can chill out with the ever intrusive ad spamming for a bit. Truly.

i plan on installing merlin on my asus router and just blocking all ads for all devices on LAN from there (just haven't gotten around to it yet)

QDYNC3m.gif

i plan on installing merlin on my asus router and just blocking all ads for all devices on LAN from there (just haven't gotten around to it yet)

View attachment 501500
Doesn't block youtube ads. They're sent from the same server as the videos, so you either block youtube entirely or just live with em. Facebook is the same way.

I have a pi-hole equivalent though (Adguard Home) and it blocks ads from basically everything else though, and its kinda insane how much stuff smart TVs are sending out at all times. I still find it absolutely worthwhile, but if you're expecting an adblocking DNS or Pi-hole to block youtube ads, it's not gonna happen.

I do pay for Youtube Premium, its more than worth it IMO given that I watch more youtube than any other streaming service.

Last edited:
True. Google makes enough cash off of me, either from my information or direct subscriptions. However, they can chill out with the ever intrusive ad spamming for a bit. Truly.
"The fast food place makes enough off of me, I'm going to just steal the soda. "

At least you own it!

There's 3rd party YT clients on Android (TV?) for no ads I think too. Vanced I think one is called or something, recall hearing about it before.

How the f is blocking ads pirating? Usually when someone thinks the are in such high moral superiority, they are the biggest hypocrites.

Anyways...back on topic. I need to install that 9.1 update on one of my Shields so I can Disable a bunch of apps I don't use. They enabled the Disable feature now in Settings on 9.1 from what I've seen on my older 2017 version that has 9.1 on it (wanted to test it on that 1st lol).

How the f is blocking ads pirating? Usually when someone thinks the are in such high moral superiority, they are the biggest hypocrites.

Anyways...back on topic. I need to install that 9.1 update on one of my Shields so I can Disable a bunch of apps I don't use. They enabled the Disable feature now in Settings on 9.1 from what I've seen on my older 2017 version that has 9.1 on it (wanted to test it on that 1st lol).
Old people gatekeeping you because they have no idea how to do it themselves. That's what a lot of this thread is.

I like to imagine people getting up and knocking the shit out of their wife for fast forwarding through commercials on a DVRd show

the ads don't bother me so much with the skip button now (even though every once in a while there's a 15 or 20 second unskippable one)

but i do do trials of youtube premium over and over when im eligible (they advertise it to you when eligible again lol) just to get rid of ads, it's always jarring when the trial ends (trials are usually 60-90 days)

i try not to give google any money, not really for some sort of stance, just even the extremely unimportant other things i want to spend money on are always more important to me than google anything

There's 3rd party YT clients on Android (TV?) for no ads I think too. Vanced I think one is called or something, recall hearing about it before.
Can confirm that they do exist- I do compromise and don't block sponsor spots that are integrated into the actual video being watched (Ads that Youtube inserts to the start or in the middle of video can take a hike). Only catch I've found is that they can't play purchased movies or the free with ads movies that Youtube offers.

I switched from Roku to Shield (plus two 4k Fire Sticks) almost 2 years ago now and have never looked back.

Back