Nvidia Shield TV Pro $169 @ Amazon - DEAL OVER

Good choice. Been using SHIELD TV ever since it came out in 2015. Original 2015 ones still get updated too, just sold mine (2015 models) last November I think. Upgraded to 2019 models for Dolby Vision + AI upscale (actually upgraded in 2019, just never sold the 2015 ones then).

If you have Hue lights they can also be a Hue Sync box (so you don't need to buy that) with either of these apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.superthomaslab.hueessentials&hl=en_US&gl=US

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullbash.huestream&hl=en_US&gl=US

Ah, nice, I thought about posting this too but wasn't sure it was relevant enough. I've been wanting a Shield Pro for a while and grabbed one from Best Buy yesterday for the sale price. They just drove it over from the store and delivered for free today- faster than Amazon. Now I can finally dump my old firetv stick.

If you have an Nvidia card Moonlight>Official built-in Gamestream app are both better, in that order

More stable, less latency, Moonlight moreso than the Gamestream app, and Moonlight handles HDR better

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limelight&hl=en_US&gl=US
I tried GameStream initially and had issues. And NVIDIA can KMA with their GeForce Experience, along with what they did to GameStream service itself on the Shield TV.

I'll have to look into Moonlight and if it offers anything I'll use.

These are excellent. Wonderful support, easy to use and they're FAST! I use it for YouTube TV, Plex, and Netflix mainly. No input delay unlike the Roku 4k device I was using before. Love it.

Sale is over already, my age group is too slow!
I think a new one comes out next year, and it's desperately needed.

I have 2015 and 2019 and they are both showing their age. They aren't firetv stick slow, but crap they just crawl. If you use an ATV or your phone, it feels like you're going back in time when you navigate the UI.

I have 2015 and 2019 and they are both showing their age. They aren't firetv stick slow, but crap they just crawl. If you use an ATV or your phone, it feels like you're going back in time when you navigate the UI.

how much stuff do you have installed? I don't have issues with this on my 2019, but this is all I have installed (dunno how it compares to you guys, the games section has only the official gamestream and moonlight apps)

IMG_0227.jpg

maybe some apps running in background causing slowdowns? I know some file explorers are culprits/infamous for causing slow downs and pop ups on shield/android TV devices

the tube (non-pro) can get a tad jittery at times, I think due to 32bit os limitation (only tube, pro is 64bit)

but yes i hope a newer version comes out with the nintendo switch 2/pro/whatever, HDR10+ support and Youtube HDR are the only things I can think of I still want out of it (latter is HW issue with current ones)

Huh, I have a 2017 and 2919 Pro. The 2019 is my daily driver for watching live TV through Google's Live Channels app with a HDHomeRun. I don't have any slowness like your decribe. If you have the 2019 non-Pro version I can possibly see the slowness issue.

I do have an external SSD hooked up to each one as Adopted Storage and for DVR/pause use with Live TV...maybe that helps it.

This was the main concern I had about buying one (and the reason I was patient and waited for a sale)- that it is still the 2019 model and a new shield version should be forthcoming. But as far as I know there's been no announcement from nVidia, just that a new one is "due".

I can't speak to speed or anything because I haven't sat down to set mine up yet, but regardless it should be a significant upgrade over my old FireTV stick. And the fact that I did get the 2019 model on a slight discount helps, because chances are when the 2023 or whenever version is out it will probably arrive with a price hike too.

As I posted elsewhere:

unless you're willing to go in with ADB and clean up 60 packages of trash, this device gets bogged down by pointless google/nvidia bloat and becomes borderline unusable. Every update past 8.x.x has made it less stable and fast.
That said, with the slimmed down anti-bullshit consumer shield, it's nearly unbeatable. But shame on them for trying to stuff ads in our faces on top of the massive user experience degradation to extend its octopus arms, wolf launcher or bust.
My shield is like 5x faster debloated, it's embarrassing. Before it would crash all the time, lag inbetween menus, and have ads that take up 60% of the home screen. If you're not willing to put in any work, this device sucks. if you are, it's the best on the market.
https://florisse.nl/shield/
https://florisse.nl/shield-tweaks/

In my case, it was enough to update to the current build, then slim it down using network ADB.

This device is not worth anything over 120$, all said though.

I dunno about all that. To each their own. I actually stopped (manually only, not ADB) disabling apps since the 9.0(?) update let you uninstall a bunch of system apps (really just disable still, apps still in system image for restore). I think AmazonMigrationServices or something like that is the only thing I have left manually disbaled, because I don't use Prime/Amazon.

I think I'll use it for illegal streaming content and install a crapload of apps that aren't intended for it and then complain its slow.

And like staknhalo said, just disable the apps in the new 9.1 version since you can now. Pretty easy. Especially with that damn Netflix button and I don't have Nettflix!
Or Plex, or Plex Server, or this and that...DISABLE!

To each their own though, but use is for what's made for...it's great and fast.

I think I'll use it for illegal streaming content and install a crapload of apps that aren't intended for it and then complain its slow.

And like staknhalo said, just disable the apps in the new 9.1 version since you can now. Pretty easy. Especially with that damn Netflix button and I don't have Nettflix!

Heck yeah, piracy for the win /sarcasm! Let's bloat it up, yo! Spend thousands on the hardware to store and backup the junk you pirate and a gig net plan to get em with when you could have just bought the discs cheaper! Yayyyyyy! :p

I addressed it in my edit :D.

:)

From his link https://florisse.nl/shield/ ...

Kodi 19.3 (+ Custom skin), with addons;
  • KodiPlexConnect
  • PVR SimpleIPTV
  • Webbie Player (KPN iTV)
  • Embuary info, global search, widget-manager,
  • Autosubs
  • ROM Collection Browser
  • Almost every emulator available installed
  • Weather info: Gismeteo
  • Disabled scrapers (meta+img come from KodiPlexConnect)
I have the above apps installed (Yes, I know some are questionable) So, why does my Shield TV run slow?

Last edited:

Kodi 19.3 (+ Custom skin), with addons;
  • KodiPlexConnect
  • PVR SimpleIPTV
  • Webbie Player (KPN iTV)
  • Embuary info, global search, widget-manager,
  • Autosubs
  • ROM Collection Browser
  • Almost every emulator available installed
  • Weather info: Gismeteo
  • Disabled scrapers (meta+img come from KodiPlexConnect)
I have the above apps installed (Yes, I know some are questionable) So, why does my Shield TV run slow?
I don't know, I was just joking around with you :).

Interesting. I have not experienced this, though I've removed all "cruft" and only use a few apps...

I bought a shield in 2018 and I've had two instances where it started acting weird. Once it wouldn't play any videos without buffering, and once it was super slow to do anything. Both times I did a factory reset and it came back running as good as it ever did. Annoying, yes, however for how great these things are normally it's worth the extra time to do it when it has a hiccup.

Well I’ll find out tomorrow and see how it performs when I get mine. It can’t be worse than the other stuff I’ve used. The only platform for me that has worked ok-ish is the ps5, but it doesn’t do Dolby-vision. To be honest, some of the official apps are just poorly coded to begin with eg HBOMax. Some just need more horsepower to run the app, like Plex. Plex on my PS5 is smooth, on the TV or older Roku…sluggish and poopy.

Can’t wait to slap a VPN on this and get my BBC iPlayer on.

Yeah, ok. This is supposed to be an enthusiast forum, not a defeatist forum.

Sorry for tinkering, I guess I should just be happy with ads all over my face, and using popular streamers that transcode for me, like Netflix, and a sluggish UI experience that degrades over time before of bloatware; all despite the fact it worked fine before 9.x.x for 5 years. Some people actually try to fix their user experience, and you don't need to go old lazy dad mode on them.

The reality is that it still works after deleting most of the garbage and actually has never been faster or more reliable. This is not an isolated incident either; this applies to every shield. I guess you missed the context of my post. Sure you can disable stuff, which is an ok first step, but there are plenty of packages you must access from ADB to change.

Glad it works for your needs. Though, I'd argue you don't need a Tegra, you could simply just use the 19.99$ fire stick. I'm actually using the device hardware to do things it should be able to do. You're saying we should settle for less. No thanks.

Last edited:

WTF is this. No.

I have a shield pro, i run no servers on it, and it takes 10 seconds to close youtube. It's a 7 year old SOC and it shows.

WTF is this. No.

I have a shield pro, i run no servers on it, and it takes 10 seconds to close youtube. It's a 7 year old SOC and it shows.

Do want want videos of SHIELDS (Pro and not Pro) NOT taking 10 seconds to close Youtube? That can be provided.

Because that's not normal and a problem of your defective or dying device(s) specifically, or just crap you guys are loading on it, and/or doing to it 'tinkering'.

Just let me know

Last edited:
Do want want videos of SHIELDS (Pro and not Pro) NOT taking 10 seconds to close Youtube? That can be provided.

Because that's not normal and a problem of your defective or dying device(s) specifically, or just crap you guys are loading on it, and/or doing to it 'tinkering'.

Just let me know

Ah yes, the SOC is defective, because that's what a defective SOC will do lol. Bro, you can be an nvidia fan, that's cool, but this is over the top. It's old, and it shows. There's no need to criticize others based on your anecdotes.

But yes, please record yourself watching about 2 hours of youtube, then record yourself pressing the home button and lets time how long it takes. If you're so dedicated to spend that time, EL OH EL.

Ah yes, the SOC is defective, because that's what a defective SOC will do lol. Bro, you can be an nvidia fanboi, that's cool, but this is kinda sad. It's old, and it shows.

But yes, please record yourself watching about 2 hours of youtube, then record yourself pressing the home button and lets time how long it takes. If you're so dedicated to spend that time, EL OH EL.

lie, and obviously and unconvincingly so, more about the shields performance then because you're an amd fanboi or just too 'user error' to use a simple TV streamer 🙄

you should say it takes 5 weeks to start up too

lie, and obviously and unconvincingly so, more about the shields performance then because you're an amd fanboi or just too 'user error' to use a simple TV streamer 🙄

you should say it takes 5 weeks to start up too

Do want want videos of SHIELDS (Pro and not Pro) NOT taking 10 seconds to close Youtube?

So that's a no?

I have an oldschool 2015 shield and it doesn't take 10 seconds for youtube to close. lmao.

Hell, it barely takes 10 seconds for anything to load, even at this point. It's definitely feeling its age, but i've gotten a good 7 years out of it. So I'm waiting till the next refresh, 2023 or whenever that happens.

Comparitively, even the 2015 Shield is more powerful than MOST other streaming devices out there now. It's essentially the same as a Nintendo Switch. Roku? No thanks. The lag those have when browsing YTTV is annoying. I have no problems with my 2015 or 2019 Shields.

I did have an issue with my 2017 version (bedroom duty) running slow and dropping WiFi...

Turn out it needed take apart and the heatsink & fan cleaned out. Even though it was "vacuumed" monthly from the outside and no vents showed being blocked. Fine after that.

Maybe take it apart and check to make sure they aren't overheating and throttling. Just be careful of those little damn connectors for the front LED and that!

i have all gens of the shield and none are slow.. maybe try a factory reset..

I guess people are used to cheap poor performing devices. No surprise - I always prioritize high quality and high performance. If i can't afford that, I don't buy it at all, whatever the product/service is. I wait until I can.

The Nvidia Shield is mediocre in performance and often has bugs in core functionality (at least in past years). It may not be slow compared to other products of its type, but it certainly is not fast. Unfortunately it is also still the best option out there. Apple TV 4k 2021 is a typical Apple device - software design that restricts hardware functionality to try to force you to use overpriced and poorly performing Apple products for everything else in your house (even if all you are using it for is a client media display device). All the other competition is garbage so far.

Very annoying, because I would be willing to pay more for a higher-end device. And it is definitely a rip-off price (because Apple is not adequately competing) considering the 2019 version is still using essentially the same hardware as the first 2015 version while keeping the same MSRP. If they actually upgraded to one of their latest chips they have already been using in other products where they have competition, in all likelihood it would be an actually fast device.

Just got it installed. This device is sick. Quick, and customizable. Easily the fastest device since my PS5. Got a VPN and streaming live TV from home.

Now, I know, honey moon period and all, but so far, I’m impressed. Should have gotten this sooner….

PS4 controller for size comparison. Surprisingly small…
E7DA8309-B82C-46AB-9900-496048AB9AC1.jpeg

Back