NVIDIA SHIELD Price Lowered To $299

HardOCP News

[H] News
I just noticed that NVIDIA has lowered the price of its SHIELD handheld gaming device to $299 from the original price of $349.

We’ve heard from thousands of gamers that if the price was $299, we’d have a home run. So we’re changing the price of SHIELD to $299. If you’ve already pre-ordered SHIELD, you’ll be charged the new, lower price. You will only be charged $299 when the product ships.

It really needs to be cheaper for a device that essentially plays Android games and your own PC games.

no doubt, for what they put in that thing, I've seen Android Tablets for around 99 bucks

I don't play on ever getting one myself, if I paid that much for something, I'd rather just spend 100 more and get a PS4

NOTE: PC Streaming will release as a BETA feature at launch**

**The PC streaming BETA will feature a select number of supported games from Steam and a set of recommended routers. After conclusion of the BETA period, users will receive a free software patch to the official release that includes expanded game support, broader Wi-Fi compatibility, feature enhancements, and any needed bug fixes based on BETA feedback.

no doubt, for what they put in that thing, I've seen Android Tablets for around 99 bucks

I don't play on ever getting one myself, if I paid that much for something, I'd rather just spend 100 more and get a PS4

The end game on the device is an OnLive like service in addition to its other features. Having a portable device that can stream, hopefully, a large array of PC games without owning a PC is pretty enticing for some. I don't think it is geared at hardforum users, we like our gaming PCs.

You haven't seen Tegra 4 tablets for $99.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $199 for this if I were in the market for it (not in the market for it anyway). I don't understand the market for this anyway. If I wanted to play PC games, I'd play them on my PC. If I wanted to play android games, I'd play them on my phone/tablet or get an Ouya or something for 1/3 the price.

Way too expensive for this device. I don't know how they can get away with charging that much for mediocre hardware.

The end game on the device is an OnLive like service in addition to its other features. Having a portable device that can stream, hopefully, a large array of PC games without owning a PC is pretty enticing for some. I don't think it is geared at hardforum users, we like our gaming PCs.

Don't You'll still need the gaming PC to play PC games? I thought it just worked as a streaming terminal for a PC and then some lighter Android games natively without it? This thing needs better marketing! :D

Well, the three 780's heating up the office might make this an interesting gizmo for me so I don't sweat out all my body fluid and end my gaming session as a human potato chip :D

At $299 I might consider it over Vita. But not sure its worth the extra $50

even when this was first announced, i didn't see much... value in it. Even now, i still don't see much value because it is just streaming stuff from your pc to the portable while your pc does all the work.

I am curious what the crew of [H] thinks since they seemed rather pumped about it when shield was first announced.

$300 instead of $350 still doesn't change the fact that I'm a grown adult with a full time job who drives to work instead of carpooling or mass transit.

Not going to play it while I'm at work, can't use it on the way to or from work, if I'm at home I have a TV and monitors to game on, and if I'm out and about I'm either running errands or hanging out with other people(or enjoying some other hobby besides gaming).

If I could play some of my steam games directly on the device while I'm away from my home, I would jump on this quick.

Where my in-laws live there isn't any form of high speed internet around (no cell phone service either). And when my wife goes to visit and drags me along (at least once a month), it gets very very boring. I usually set and play whatever bullshit android games I have on my phone until the battery dies. I used to pack my laptop up there, but that got old quick.

I'll have to wait until it comes out to see exactly how it works. If I can play my steam games (even at lower settings would be fine) directly from the device without having to be connected to my home network (or any network for that matter) then you can count me in for one. If not, I'll probably have to pass this round.

Won't I be able to do something very similar if I were to get a PS Vita with the PS4?

Still not going to pay $300 for what is essentially a bulky controller strapped to a tiny tablet. If I want to play Android games, I have a phone for that. If I want to play PC games, I have a PC for that.

I'll be surprised if the Shield doesn't go the way of the HP Touchpad and get fire saled in 6 months.

I'll be surprised if the Shield doesn't go the way of the HP Touchpad and get fire saled in 6 months.

This might be the only way I'd actually buy one. I bought an Xbox controller for a few console ports on PC and still don't really use it.

Oh hell yes, Useless piece of crap X is on sale for $50 off! We should buy them while they're cheap, it may be useless but it's on sale!

This is just a new Ngage.

hmmm drop another $150, and i might play around with it.

$300 is way too much

Don't You'll still need the gaming PC to play PC games? I thought it just worked as a streaming terminal for a PC and then some lighter Android games natively without it? This thing needs better marketing! :D

Yeah, I don't quite get this either.
I would totally dig playing steam games on this thing, but it needs a more compellling reason for buying it. at 299 clams it should have some of its own content or something.

What a deal. All I ever wanted is to overpay a few times for a Tegra chip that no one else wants. nvidia wants to profit from their own farts.

Am I the only person who thinks this is an interesting device? It's basically a Steam-compatible Wii U game pad. I don't see it being $299 though.

$299 is still high. Maybe $149 or $199 would make me slightly interested. I personally don't have any use for this thing. I have other devices that do the job.

Negative Mofos.....

When have you seen an andriod device for $ that wasnt a piece of crap?

This is worth every penny of $299. I predict that it will be a commercial success and an example of what is to come. Mark it down

Am I the only person who thinks this is an interesting device? It's basically a Steam-compatible Wii U game pad. I don't see it being $299 though.

you forgot the part where you REQUIRE the PC to use it though if your want to play steam games. That is the issue i think. If it was a portable steam box, then sure, maybe, being an android device that can stream some PC games seems meh to me personally.

I would love to be able to step away from my PC, lie down in bed and play my pc games.

Streaming from your local PC will be nothing like Streaming from OnLive unless you're house is wired with 10 Mbit Coax from 1990 and has a laggy router from that time period.

From Nvidia's own mouth: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=116466&p=irol-sec

Why they are essentialy giving up on Tegra and opting to license their GPU IP
We expect substantial competition from both Intel Corporation's and Advanced Micro Devices', or AMD's, strategy of selling platform solutions, including integrating a CPU and a GPU on the same chip or same package, as evidenced by AMD's APU product and Intel's CPUs with integrated graphics. As AMD and Intel continue to pursue platform solutions and integrated CPUs, we may not be able to successfully compete and our business could be negatively impacted.

If integrated CPUs offer a more compelling value proposition in the future, our GPU attach rate could decrease, which could adversely affect our business and cause our financial results to decline.

Why SHIELD is getting a price cut:
It is possible that our development efforts will not be successful and that our new technologies will not result in meaningful revenues. Even if we introduce new and enhanced products to the market, we may not be able to achieve consumer and/or market acceptance of them in a timely manner.

More general covering their asses speak:
We occasionally have experienced delays in completing the development and introduction of new products and product enhancements, and we could experience delays in the future. In addition, in the past, we have been unable to successfully manage product transitions from older to newer products resulting in obsolete inventory. Our failure to successfully develop and introduce new products and technologies or identify new uses for existing or future products could result in rapidly declining average selling prices, reduced demand for our products or loss of market share, any of which could harm our competitive position and cause our revenue, gross margin and overall financial results to suffer.

This is them actually speaking the truth with a dose of covering their asses because you do not lie to the SEC. All those headlines about "letting" AMD take all 3 consoles this generation were nothing more than marketing bullshit for the fanboys and dolts who'd believe their PR department.

you forgot the part where you REQUIRE the PC to use it though if your want to play steam games. That is the issue i think. If it was a portable steam box, then sure, maybe, being an android device that can stream some PC games seems meh to me personally.
No offense but duh. How do you expect an ARM based Android device with the power of a tablet to play Steam games? I'm fine with using it purely for streaming, but not at $299.

Back