Nvidia Shield: Portal and Half Life 3 Released in Google Play

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
Story on Kotaku:
http://kotaku.com/portal-and-half-life-2-now-available-for-nvidias-shield-1575018435

Here is the link to the play store - I bought HL2 just now, but have not yet tried it....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nvidia.valvesoftware.halflife2

edit:Oops, Half Life 2!

edit2:

HL2 is very solid - kind of freaky how well it runs and there is a weird "through the looking glass" feeling knowing that a lot of people upgraded to make HL2 run better on their PC and now it's running on a glorified cell phone....

Last edited:
Honestly, I was going to put a strike-though "3" then a regular "2" to be funny but I couldn't get the Unicode thingy to work so I meant to just put a "2" but I overlooked it.

HL2 is very solid - kind of freaky how well it runs and there is a weird "through the looking glass" feeling knowing that a lot of people upgraded to make HL2 run better on their PC and now it's running on a glorified cell phone....

Heh...it's the same with anything computer-related, really. For instance, we paid $2000 back in the day for a P1 100 MHz custom rig, yet now my smartphone is like 150 times faster.

You got me excited there for a minute. My hopes and dreams were then shattered when you corrected yourself that it was Half-Life 2 instead. :p

Whoa! That is cool! (once I got over the horrible dissapointment of no HL3... yet again)

Must go see how portal runs on my phone...

Edit, oh, actually I have no idea what GPU is in my phone (Note3), but it's probably not the NV Shield. Guessing this isn't going to work after all, but I'm still going to try anyways later.
Edit2 - yeah, apparently I had no idea what the NV-Shield was... it isn't actually a phone at all, much less a chip that might be inside my Note3... oh well, I can dream. Maybe there will be a normal phone that can run source games in another year or two... it will most certainly exist before we ever get real HL3 confirmation. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Whoa! That is cool! (once I got over the horrible dissapointment of no HL3... yet again)

Must go see how portal runs on my phone...

Edit, oh, actually I have no idea what GPU is in my phone (Note3), but it's probably not the NV Shield. Guessing this isn't going to work after all, but I'm still going to try anyways later.
Edit2 - yeah, apparently I had no idea what the NV-Shield was... it isn't actually a phone at all, much less a chip that might be inside my Note3... oh well, I can dream. Maybe there will be a normal phone that can run source games in another year or two... it will most certainly exist before we ever get real HL3 confirmation. :rolleyes:

It'll be hacked soon, the NV Shield is no more powerful than the highest end smartphone.

lets the rumor mill start: the ending of the half-life 2 is different. it gives a sneak peak on what to come for half-life 3

I think it'll be hacked soon too. It's already on torrents...

I mean the compatibility. Anyone can rip an APK off an android device. Next step is to change your hardware ID or modify the APK to remove HW restrictions.

I never said I was hacked... I said I think it'll be hacked soon. And my comment about it being available on torrents implies that it's easily accessible to anyone, especially ones that want to try to get it to work on more devices.

while the nvidia shield is a nice idea and i appreciate HL it should be no more then $100 bucks. I can play half life 2 with fun factory and its gone look amazing but this thing looks less powerful then the vita graphic wise( need someone to confirm). now to dive back to hl2 on this thing with dowgraded original hl2 graphics is a let down for me. if it was hl2 remastered and looked better then yes.

That was a very low ball to get people to click on this thread.

while the nvidia shield is a nice idea and i appreciate HL it should be no more then $100 bucks. I can play half life 2 with fun factory and its gone look amazing but this thing looks less powerful then the vita graphic wise( need someone to confirm). now to dive back to hl2 on this thing with dowgraded original hl2 graphics is a let down for me. if it was hl2 remastered and looked better then yes.

The Tegra 4 is based on a newer ARM core than the one used in the Vita. I don't know about the GPU because the Vita uses a PowerVR based chip which, if I remember correctly, uses voxels or something weird that's different from most GPUs. Still, the mobile NV chips are pretty beastly.

The Shield is a very well made, powerful and impressive device - it's not for everyone as you need a decent NV based PC to take full advantage of it:

1. Native Android apps/games
2. PC game streaming (very smooth, low latency)
3. Grid is their version of OnLive! - it's PC games played remotely and it's pretty impressive

I have mine hooked up to my plasma tv most of the time and really enjoy it.

that's twice now that this thread has tricked me. bravo DoubleTap :D

Back