NVIDIA SHIELD Portable 2 Spotted At FCC, But Launch Seems Unlikely

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is solid proof that the SHIELD 2 exists, but you probably won’t be able to get one due to the SHIELD Android TV and Nintendo Switch existing. I am bummed about that because the original was such a great machine for emulation, even better than the tablet variant (for me). It is weird how its OLED screen didn’t go anywhere near 0 nit blacks, though.

…the SHIELD Portable 2 has a bit of a design refresh on the inside cluster of buttons, but with the shell closed, it looks quite similar to the original SHIELD Portable. On the backside, NVIDIA appears to have adjusted a few of the curves for what we’d imagine is a more comfortable grip. While exact specs are not known, it’s possible the updated SHIELD Portable would have featured a Tegra X1 processor, plus a slightly enlarged screen with toned down bezels. So, while this development is cool, let’s be real about NVIDIA’s plan to launch this thing. In my mind, it may not happen, especially with NVIDIA just announcing the new SHIELD Android TV. While anyone can see the benefit of a legit Android TV set-top box for gaming, the SHIELD Portable is an incredibly niche product.

the SHIELD Portable is an incredibly niche product.

I'm that niche, gimme gimme gimme!!!!

Seriously though I would already own the first gen shield portable if they didn't stop making them after one month.

I might just have to get something like this

I'm hoping for a refreshed Nvidia Shield Tablet K1. Though I've heard that might not happen because of the Switch.

most underrated portable ever. i gave one to my brother not realizing they quit selling them. I ended up buying the console and trading him for it back.

I wish I could fast forward to whatever Nintendo releases after this, just to confirm that they switched to someone else, because Nvidia screwed them over, like they did MS, Apple, Intel, etc.

What difference in the hardware vs the handheld and the tablet is there? I picked up a k1 tablet and controller to mess with when I got my new job, and have enjoyed ps4 remote play and gamestream alot, bummer they didnt keep doing the controller/screen combo.

I always thought they could fit a 7" screen without making it much wider. I mean the bezel looks huge.
Anyway probably its time has passed. The switch design looks much better IMO.

Day one purchase for me if they release it. My hands cramp up really fast on portable gaming devices, but not a normal sized controller with tall thumbsticks and big grips.

I have the shield one, and play many games on it still. Great device. I also have K1 and enjoy it, but different games.

I preordered the first portable. Neat niche product. Used mostly as early console/mame emulator.

Soon as nvidia moved to experience 3.0 I stopped streaming any PC games to it due to their spyware crap. Total letdown nvidia.

I preordered the first portable. Neat niche product. Used mostly as early console/mame emulator.

Soon as nvidia moved to experience 3.0 I stopped streaming any PC games to it due to their spyware crap. Total letdown nvidia.

I keep deleting the 3.0 update and am still on 2.0. Seems to be working fine so far.

I love my shield portable. Great traveling companion.. Most of the actual streaming of games I did was for Dead Space 2 and a lot of Skyrim while lazily lounging in bed.. it's great for that.

why would anyone get any of these designs with the switch around?

Well since the Switch has the cpu downclocked 50% and the gpu to 40% in portable mode that might be a reason*. Also this naturally covers the screen.

That is disregarding how an open market could let you do more with the Shield vs the Switch, instead of the pittiance ammount of VC releases you could get an emulator with any rom you own and the like.

Just saying there are as many reasons to go for this as there are to go for a pc. And i am not a fan of the shield.

*As reported to Digital Foundry by developers working with it.

I love my shield portable, favorite of my handhelds

I wish I could fast forward to whatever Nintendo releases after this, just to confirm that they switched to someone else, because Nvidia screwed them over, like they did MS, Apple, Intel, etc.
Meh, that was a long time ago. Nvidia seems quite willing to license their IP nowadays. They and IBM have both went out of their way to make their IP available to license for whomever has the ability to use it. I'd bet their move with Nintendo was to partly ensure 3rd party games are not developed with only AMD HW in mind.

Meh, that was a long time ago. Nvidia seems quite willing to license their IP nowadays. They and IBM have both went out of their way to make their IP available to license for whomever has the ability to use it. I'd bet their move with Nintendo was to partly ensure 3rd party games are not developed with only AMD HW in mind.

You are missing the point of the guy you quoted. Historically Nvidia has burned their tech partners, Microsoft with the Original Xbox gpu costs, Apple with the laptop debacle, Sony with the PS3 GPU, Grtitan is hinting that he thinks that Nintendo will also get burned in this deal and quite honestly Shield TV's being fully powered cpu/gpu wise and with more memory thanks to the included 500Gb drive in the similarly priced option could be seen as a possible start of said screwing.

If Nvidia shows a new Shield portable based on pascal+ 16nm that could also be seen as a burn depending on the loadout and general specification achieved. All in all this is only speculation at this poit.

You are missing the point of the guy you quoted. Historically Nvidia has burned their tech partners, Microsoft with the Original Xbox gpu costs, Apple with the laptop debacle, Sony with the PS3 GPU, Grtitan is hinting that he thinks that Nintendo will also get burned in this deal and quite honestly Shield TV's being fully powered cpu/gpu wise and with more memory thanks to the included 500Gb drive in the similarly priced option could be seen as a possible start of said screwing.

If Nvidia shows a new Shield portable based on pascal+ 16nm that could also be seen as a burn depending on the loadout and general specification achieved. All in all this is only speculation at this poit.

Not trying to be rude but the Nintendo Switch and the Shield TV don't have the same target market at all. Very few people buying a Switch will know the difference between a hard drive and an SSD, let alone care about the speed of its processor.

I know exactly the point that was made, and as a result, I didn't miss the point at all. Nvidia operated quite differently in the past, treating all clients as general consumers, even if they paid out the nose for Nvidia tech (MSFT and Sony have learned this lesson - but they also had no other choice at each respective time).

Nvidia, however, has changed their operating protocol quite a bit, when it comes to licensing their tech - something they used to never quite do without a court order. They and IBM have gotten together and formed part of an open alliance to share their technology to those willing to license it for their own designs. Both companies didn't do that, in the past (at least with core IP - I am aware IBM had PPC, amongst other "lessor" technologies they were willing to sell).

You're comparing 2 entirely different target markets, and 2 entirely different eco systems. Yea, they use the same hardware sort of but no one is going to buy one for the same reason they would buy the others. Nintendo especially, because of all the hardware platforms, people buy Nintendo because the nintendo IP. I could maybe understand if it was another android based system that was coming out but even if there is a Shield Switcheroo to come out, people would still buy the nintendo one because nintendo will never release their IP's as long as they are making hardware

Back