NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Wins Popular Science’s ‘Best of What’s New’ Award

HardOCP News

[H] News
Our NVIDIA SHIELD just won Popular Science’s 2015 “Best of What’s New” award in the entertainment category. It’s the only media streaming device to win an award. Adding to praise from consumers, gamers and journalists, this latest honor from Popular Science follows its editors’ search among thousands for the year’s top 100 tech innovations. These are breakthrough products and technologies that represent a significant leap in their categories. Winners of the Best of What’s New awards feature in the much-anticipated December issue of Popular Science. The awards cover 12 categories: Automotive, Aviation, Computing, Engineering, Entertainment, Gadgets, Green, Home, Health and Recreation, Security and Software.

I love my SHIELD TV. I wish there were more native apps, but you can cast/Chromecast those that are still missing. Add that all in with Live TV+PC Gamestreaming = it's the bee's knees :)

I'll be receiving mine sometime next week, I'm pretty excited.

Got one a few weeks off of eBay. Rooted it right away, and started sideloading apps straight away. If you've at least got a mouse, its a blast using this thing. Also bought a couple of emulators, including a PSX emulator. Just started revisiting all the PS1 games I never got a chance to play.

The only issue right now is a lack of native apps. Also, it doesn't seem to support 1440p. 1080p and 4k work fine. Not a big deal since I have it hooked up to my 1080p TV. However, for those with 1440p monitors, I guess it could be a deal breaker.

Had mine since mid September - I havent even bothered rooting it. It works fantasticly OOB, Gamestream is fantastic and lag in pretty much non existant (50 ft cat6 run). Install Kodi for a pleasantly themed HTPC experience, TVMC for the stuff I want to watch but dont care enough to download, and Live Channels apps picks up the HDHomerun like a boss.

You spend 200 up front, but make it back in 3 months when you arent paying 60-65 bucks a month for cable. The only thing Im really missing is a reliable HD stream for watching Knicks games, but I use to mirror from the office desktop into the living room and the VLC streaming works flawlessly this way.

Double edged sword though, my kids dont really know how to handle commercials, lol.

Back