Nvidia Shield 16GB $199.99 w/free Carbon Fiber cover(NO MiR, Free Shipping)

Rauelius

2[H]4U
Last edited:
I'd be all over this if I didn't expect a Shield 2 to be released over the summer.

How well will XBMC run on one of these puppies? Sounds like a decent HTPC box.
mini-HDMI output
Wireless
802.11n 2x2 MIMO Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 3.0

No Ethernet though.

I'm very tempted to get this but I worry about how ridiculous I would seem with a 3rd mobile device (phone, Ipad, Shield)

I have a lot of games that might be fun to play from the couch.

I'm very tempted to get this but I worry about how ridiculous I would seem with a 3rd mobile device (phone, Ipad, Shield)

I have a lot of games that might be fun to play from the couch.

Your not that Bad. I have the iPad for the bathroom, the Nexus 7 for the bedroom, Kindle Fire HDX for reading in the living room/Kitchen, the Shield for Android Gaming and Streaming. My HTC One for a phone. I used to use my old iPhone 4s to call my Android phone when I lost it, but now I just use Skype from one of the tablets.

Your not that Bad. I have the iPad for the bathroom, the Nexus 7 for the bedroom, Kindle Fire HDX for reading in the living room/Kitchen, the Shield for Android Gaming and Streaming. My HTC One for a phone. I used to use my old iPhone 4s to call my Android phone when I lost it, but now I just use Skype from one of the tablets.

This is not helping my financial discipline...

My other worry is that there seems to be a Shield 2 in development. That's always the case I suppose. For $200, it's hard to imagine losing much money if you decide to sell it and buy the new one in the future....

How does it stream over the internet? Is there a server that nvidia allows buyers to connect their game server at home to so they can access it while on the go? That would mean that I could use my LTE phone as a wifi source and and connect a shield to that via tethering and play titanfall from my mobile game device? Sounds too good to be true. Do you have to set up the quality to work with your gaming computer or the shield? If its just a screen sharing then I imagine a horrible amount of lag.

heh:
TF300T - broken by son in Brazil. we hope to get it fixed
Lenovo S6000 - Wife's table
Nexus 10 - My tablet
Some generic thing my wife bought in Brazil - Son's tablet
On order - 2 ipad mini retina (1 as a gift, one for us....)

Other touchscreen devices:
Iphone5 (work phone)
Moto G (personal phone)

heh:
TF300T - broken by son in Brazil. we hope to get it fixed
Lenovo S6000 - Wife's table
Nexus 10 - My tablet
Some generic thing my wife bought in Brazil - Son's tablet
On order - 2 ipad mini retina (1 as a gift, one for us....)

Other touchscreen devices:
Iphone5 (work phone)
Moto G (personal phone)

You know what they say about great minds :D

Looks like it's an official price drop BTW.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2014/3/25/5544294/nvidia-shield-price-drops-to-199-for-a-limited-time

How does it stream over the internet? Is there a server that nvidia allows buyers to connect their game server at home to so they can access it while on the go? That would mean that I could use my LTE phone as a wifi source and and connect a shield to that via tethering and play titanfall from my mobile game device? Sounds too good to be true. Do you have to set up the quality to work with your gaming computer or the shield? If its just a screen sharing then I imagine a horrible amount of lag.

I think you need 5Mbit up/down to do the game streaming so while the remote play sounds good in theory, I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone.

How well will XBMC run on one of these puppies? Sounds like a decent HTPC box.
mini-HDMI output
Wireless
802.11n 2x2 MIMO Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 3.0

No Ethernet though.

AFAIK it runs great. I run XBMC on my motoG and its just fine so shield should be perfect.

The shield supports ethernet via usb adapter.

I'm getting one for my 6yo kid... Ok its for me but I swear I'll let him use it :D:D

I was able to get the Shield at Gamestop for $199 and they included a $25 Google Play gift card!

It took a few minutes of messing around to get it to work with my PC (had to get the Steam Beta client) but once I got that ironed out - WOW!

First game I tried was Borderlands 2 - it seriously felt like I was running it natively on a hi-spec machine. No macroblocks or glitches of any kind - just perfect sweet smooth sugar.

Skyrim was the same thing.

I have a good machine and a Netgear 3800 dual band router and my living room is only 20 feet from the router (2 walls) and it's damn near perfect so far.

I was able to get the Shield at Gamestop for $199 and they included a $25 Google Play gift card!

It took a few minutes of messing around to get it to work with my PC (had to get the Steam Beta client) but once I got that ironed out - WOW!

First game I tried was Borderlands 2 - it seriously felt like I was running it natively on a hi-spec machine. No macroblocks or glitches of any kind - just perfect sweet smooth sugar.

Skyrim was the same thing.

I have a good machine and a Netgear 3800 dual band router and my living room is only 20 feet from the router (2 walls) and it's damn near perfect so far.

Sweet, mine will be here tomorrow! You play world of warcraft? If you do, lmk if you have tried it yet!

I don't play WoW, but I do play Guild Wars 2.

I was able to get GW2 to stream to a kindle fire about a year ago and use a wireless mouse and keyboard to do some basic play in the living room during the holidays (mostly for massive crafting).

What I remember from people trying that was that using the mouse through a remote connection was unworkable - mouse movement has a certain element of time involved in the motion and when you send mouse movements (at least for Guild Wars 2) through a remote connection, it just goes crazy and becomes unworkable.

Using the screen on the Kindle Fire as a touch mouse would work, and my wireless mouse was connected to the PC, so that worked well enough, but I'm not hopeful the Shield will give a good experience.

I don't own a shield but a buddy of mine recently got one. I gotta say, the UI is very intuitive. Also using the on board controls to do things as opposed to touch with the ui. I liked this way more than I should have. In the past I wasn't into android gaming at all, but with game stream this shield does seem pretty nice.

Still not sure if i'd drop 200 hundy for it, probably not, but a nice device nonetheless. I was surprised.

I got mine and am genuinely pissed I didn't spend the $350 and get it last year. It is an AMAZING device. The streaming is freaking mind-blowing. I expected it to run a bit worse than the PS4->PSVita, but it doesn't...it completely BLOWS AWAY Sony's streaming solution! My network may be the optimal situation for Shield tho, I'm using 5Ghz Wireless-AC on my Desktop, and I believe the Shield is 5Ghz Wireless-N, but I loved playing Saints Row IV on the toilet...and in bed, and just about anywhere in my house. While it's also a powerhouse for android gaming, though believe it or not it IS slower than the Kindle Fire HDX. Looks like the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 completely DESTROYS the Tegra4(Quadrant Score is almost double on the Kindle Fire HDX). For Tegra games (it came with Sonic II THD) it is really really pretty and smooth, and naturally Google's Playstore has more games than Amazon's AppStore.

Overall, this is a STEAL for the price.

I got mine and am genuinely pissed I didn't spend the $350 and get it last year. It is an AMAZING device. The streaming is freaking mind-blowing. I expected it to run a bit worse than the PS4->PSVita, but it doesn't...it completely BLOWS AWAY Sony's streaming solution! My network may be the optimal situation for Shield tho, I'm using 5Ghz Wireless-AC on my Desktop, and I believe the Shield is 5Ghz Wireless-N, but I loved playing Saints Row IV on the toilet...and in bed, and just about anywhere in my house. While it's also a powerhouse for android gaming, though believe it or not it IS slower than the Kindle Fire HDX. Looks like the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 completely DESTROYS the Tegra4(Quadrant Score is almost double on the Kindle Fire HDX). For Tegra games (it came with Sonic II THD) it is really really pretty and smooth, and naturally Google's Playstore has more games than Amazon's AppStore.

Overall, this is a STEAL for the price.

I agree completely. People should look at it as a PC streaming, remote play device with bonus Android features.

Another cool feature is the Grid streaming games from the Nvidia data center in San Jose. The first time I tried to use it, I was doing a bunch of Steam updates and my ping was too high, but when I'm not saturating my connection, it works surprisingly well. I tried Darksiders 2 and the latency seemed non existent - almost magically so.

So on top of everything else, you get 10 decent to good PC games if you can get a reasonably good ping to Nvidia.

Arg. I caved.

...Checking Newegg and seeing it for $180 (with signing up for some service) sealed it.

I'm still looking forward to the new version (which hopefully will be 1080p, among other things) but hopefully the device will keep most of its value until then.

I'll be selling my Open Pandora to help cover for it. Those sell for a damn good price.

...I considered selling my original PSP, too, but damn. The resell value of those dropped like a rock.

I'm buying this tomorrow. Will I definitely get a $25 Google Play card if I buy it from Gamestop?

A lot of positive comments here. I guess its time to get one. The idea of playing some dark souls or heavily modded Skyrim on the couch is VERY tempting.

A lot of positive comments here. I guess its time to get one. The idea of playing some dark souls or heavily modded Skyrim on the couch is VERY tempting.
I hated mine and I returned it after few days. I was worried about the tiny screen and sure enough it was a pain. I did not even get around to streaming since it was clear that the screen was just going to bother me. I just played some android games and since most dont use the controller that made it even more aggravating trying to play touching the screen with the controller in the way.

...I am fucking SHOCKED at how amazing this thing is. Build quality is insane. Anything I thought might have been blemishes or scratches were simply dust. I also had no idea the cosmetic cover was magnetic.

The screen size seems absolutely fine to me. Gotta love OLED. I bet if this was LCD, I'd have all this shitty backlight bleed everywhere.

My 7 inch tablet is so much more comfortable for gaming and my desktop screens feel like I am in the first row of a movie theater after looking at that miniscule 5 inch screen. :D

The screen is VERY nice looking though.

...I am fucking SHOCKED at how amazing this thing is. Build quality is insane. Anything I thought might have been blemishes or scratches were simply dust. I also had no idea the cosmetic cover was magnetic.

The screen size seems absolutely fine to me. Gotta love OLED. I bet if this was LCD, I'd have all this shitty backlight bleed everywhere.

Megalith actually likes something? I, myself, am shocked!

Nvidia must be liquidating stock, obviously this thing has been a huge market failure.

I've had my eye on one of these for a while, for the game streaming in particular. Android games I don't care much about.

Waiting for the next version though, and will probably pay full price for it. Hopefully they go with even a slightly larger screen. I'm old and my eyes don't do well with tiny screens.

I am wanting.. bad.. and I hear this price ($199) is good through just April. I am hoping to see some merchant offer it for even a further discount at some point here, so I can get even a better deal....

It's probably that price through April because the next version is launching after that.

...Just a guess.

But honestly, you'll probably still be able to track down a first-generation model for this price after that.

Still waiting on mine... Once you're used to 3-day shipping on everything, waiting over a week is tough.

I live in a pretty large city and only one store within a 50 mile radius had a Shield. They begged me to come get it as they had been sitting on this thing since August I believe. I felt bad returning it but it was just not for me.

Back