Nvidia settles GTX970 false advertising lawsuit.

I hope it's $30... , getting ready to get a 1070 or 1080 in a few weeks...
hate to get new card and then get a coupon that I can't use..

Oh no, now Jen has to hold off buying the latest Corvette for another week!

Oh no, now Jen has to hold off buying the latest Corvette for another week!
He doesn't drive Chevrolet's. That's too low brow for him. He prefers Tesla's and Ferrari's.

Jen-Hsun-Huang-Tesla-Model-X-P90D.jpg

Now you now why the Founder's Edition concept was introduced. Jen thanks you for financing his toys!

Last edited:
Now you now why the Founder's Edition concept was introduced. Jen thanks you for financing his toys!

He already had half a billion worth in Nvidia stocks alone 10 years ago. By now I am sure he is a billionaire now due to the same stocks. That's what happens when a golden parachute isn't you most important focus. And NVidia today is worth 30½ billion $.

So glad I didn't buy the 970. Bought the 960 and that works great to carry me onto 1070...

960 has full support of hevc decoding and 970 and 980 didn't which was one of the reason why I didn't get the 970, in addition the 970 memory crap.

Doesn't matter, he founded the company and with his leadership took it to where it is today. AMD could learn a few things from him. He deserves 100% of what he has earned.
Lets not go off topic and agree to disagree. I'll only add that i agree he deserves most of it.

Doesn't matter, he founded the company and with his leadership took it to where it is today. AMD could learn a few things from him. He deserves 100% of what he has earned.

Uhh, billions of dollars? No, no single human being deserves that much wealth, unless they've done something like single handedly cure cancer...

Being able to acquire great wealth for great accomplishments is reasonable, but not that great of wealth. Something is severely wrong with our system when just 62 human beings can hold more wealth than the bottom 3.5 billion humans combined.

No single human being has contributed as much to the world as to be worth 564,516,612 other human beings (3.5 billion / 62). The fact that such an incredible wealth disparity can occur is a testament to how capitalism is far from being a flawless system.

Hope this helps.

Back on topic...

These settlements are typically given in the form of a check.

And these settlements are a prime example of attorneys looking out for their own interests and not the best interests of their clients. For this settlement, the client gets $30, and the attorneys get 7 figures. But if they went to trial and they win, NV reimburses them for standard and reasonable costs (nowhere near 7 figures), and Nvidia has to reimburse every GTX 970 owner either full cost (in exchange for the 970), a replacement card that doesn't have the issue (980 or 1060, in exchange for the 970), or a small fee to compensate those who sold their card "because of this issue."

Basically, trial costs Nvidia more, so they have cause to settle. Trial also pays the attorneys less, so they settle. The consumer gets screwed.

Back on topic...

These settlements are typically given in the form of a check.

And these settlements are a prime example of attorneys looking out for their own interests and not the best interests of their clients. For this settlement, the client gets $30, and the attorneys get 7 figures. But if they went to trial and they win, NV reimburses them for standard and reasonable costs (nowhere near 7 figures), and Nvidia has to reimburse every GTX 970 owner either full cost (in exchange for the 970), a replacement card that doesn't have the issue (980 or 1060, in exchange for the 970), or a small fee to compensate those who sold their card "because of this issue."

Basically, trial costs Nvidia more, so they have cause to settle. Trial also pays the attorneys less, so they settle. The consumer gets screwed.

pretty much and is why class action lawsuits are a colossal waste of time and resources. but yeah if you're a lawyer and want easy money do class action lawsuits, you'll be rich in no time.

This is also what we would call "millimeter justice" here. While 10$ or 30$ or whatever could be nice as such. There is just huge money in administrating it for lawyers as well as the case. Just let the government slap it with a fine and be done with it.

I used a lawyer twice in my life, when I bought my first home. When I bought my second home. Even a will doesn't require a lawyer.

Back