NVIDIA Setting The Stage For Something Big

It's going to be the new 2160 GPU. It will do 4k on all current games on max settings and the price will be $599. Availability will commence immediately following the announcement. There will also be a 2880 which will do the same for 5k monitors.

It's going to be the new 2160 GPU. It will do 4k on all current games on max settings and the price will be $599. Availability will commence immediately following the announcement. There will also be a 2880 which will do the same for 5k monitors.
What about the 4320? 8k is going to get a big push next year from TV manufacturers.

I guess that makes sense, but more $2160.

"something big" to a PR person could be a logo redesign. This is nothing! NOTHIGN!

"something big" to a PR person could be a logo redesign. This is nothing! NOTHIGN!
tumblr_lousf7wUw81qks7w3o1_400.jpg

Going to have somethung to do with AI or autonomous vehicle control.

What about the 4320? 8k is going to get a big push next year from TV manufacturers.

It will only be available as an external GPU in it's own full tower enclosure and connects to the PC using NLynk, which is a proprietary connector which has only been licensed by ECS

1080 Ti with some whiz-bang DLLerry going on that allows it to magically double framerates in VR applications in hardware.....or provide good talking points in a big presentation anyways, features that will amount to 1 fps in practical applications.

Does anyone really care about VR crap?
I believe the current focus on pushing the limits of the technology to enhance the experience is distracting people from the sobering reality that their dream of playing something like doom with an immersion VR experience is just a dream.
Even Obduction, a very slow paced game by nature, had normal movement disabled for VR, instead you would teleport from point to point on the map at an artificially limited pace to avoid motion sickness.

VR games will be relegated to very niche titles imo, as far as actual *gameplay* is concerned it will be limited by motion sickness.

I have no doubt there will be many cool VR games/concepts but I don't see it being more than a sideshow

Well last year they mentioned the latest iterations of the automobile platform/hardware so not sure what else would be big they can announce; we already have all the various Pascal Drive PX2 HW modules (along with Denver-Parker), the software library-platforms, the training and inference with Tesla P100 and P40.

They are on stage with IBM at CES, so definitely carrying on with their talks about Deep Learning/AI, and possibly other cloud centric/data analytics/etc solutions.
They could shock the industry by doing an announcement (not launch but real product details and showing it exists) of the Volta Tesla card that is to be used in several massive HPC projects they are working with IBM on, but I really would not expect that until another 4 months from now (again real card announcement but not actual launch).
Or more likely a mainstream version of Pascal Tegra that so far is only in Drive PX2 related modules and opening it up to more products.

The Volta Tegra (part of which is to replace the Drive PX2 HW) is expected Q4 2017 in sampling status so definitely nothing on that.
Some sites think it is a new Shield TV console, which would also tie into broadening the Pascal Tegra product line from Drive PX2 that has a very specific setup.
Odds on they must also be announcing the 1080ti but would that be deemed a 'big' announcement when there is the Titan Pascal.

Cheers

Edit:
Also worth noting that tweet was from Nvidia UK rather than the head office marketing one.

Last edited:
I believe the current focus on pushing the limits of the technology to enhance the experience is distracting people from the sobering reality that their dream of playing something like doom with an immersion VR experience is just a dream.
Even Obduction, a very slow paced game by nature, had normal movement disabled for VR, instead you would teleport from point to point on the map at an artificially limited pace to avoid motion sickness.

VR games will be relegated to very niche titles imo, as far as actual *gameplay* is concerned it will be limited by motion sickness.

I have no doubt there will be many cool VR games/concepts but I don't see it being more than a sideshow

I think that's a temporary problem. Eventually they'll find a way for you to move on some sort of a 360 degree treadmill so that your mind thinks you're moving.
Alternatively, people will just toss on a Dramamine patch before gaming ;)

I think that's a temporary problem. Eventually they'll find a way for you to move on some sort of a 360 degree treadmill so that your mind thinks you're moving.
Alternatively, people will just toss on a Dramamine patch before gaming ;)
or people can go outside during the day and play video games when it's dark, as it was meant to be

I have yet to meet anyone who wasn't impressed by any of the non-mobile VR solutions. That includes the PS4 one, too. If you aren't a believer, give the Vive a try at one of the MS stores or even the PSVR at Best Buy.

Oh I'm a believer alright...I believe the Vive and Rift can turn a persons face into a nice sweaty, stinky, colorful mess. Time to load up on the face gaskets!! Ewww and double Ewwww. Makes me want to take a shower just thinking about it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Oculus Face

Oculus Face is the Place!

My face, your face, OCULUS FACE!!!!

Last edited:
what the hell has the number 8 have to do with 1080ti? i think everybody is wrong.

My guess is the Nvidia Shield TV 2 with built in support for all streaming services.
NVIDIA is dropping the Tegra lineup. Not enough profit for them given the competition in the mobile space.

NVIDIA is dropping the Tegra lineup. Not enough profit for them given the competition in the mobile space.
Not saying it is the Nvidia Shield TV2 being announced but worth noting the Drive PX2 is technically a Pascal Tegra design, albeit with greater scope.
So the Tegra design and manufacturing process is there for a new model if they decided to do that, although would they considering they are working with Nintendo and looking for a long term relationship, but they do have their own user base with Shield TV (I know a few people with them as well) that could be more 'console' based than the Switch.

TBH from a speculation perspective the announcement could be quite a few things from a new Shield TV2, to the 1080ti (but is that a big announcement considering it is most likely to be weaker than Pascal Titan), to preview of the Volta Tesla P100 replacement expected for projects a bit later in the year (they are on stage with IBM at one point at CES but might just be talking about AI/Deep Learning and not touching on their joint super HPC projects), or something new to do with cars or even other transport systems (but all that Drive PX2 related hardware and expanded modules was already announced last year).

AMD better hope they are not previewing the Volta version of the P100 after they dissed Volta in their marketing, it does sound like this is going to be a big step-leap again in architecture efficiency-performance looking at the figures given (not actual benchmarks though) recently for HPC Volta Tesla card and also the Volta 'Tegra' to be used in next version of Drive PX, and these figures are not hyped as they are relating to actual contract obligations.

Cheers

Last edited:
1080ti for only $800

I think it's the 1080ti also because of the hype. And I think they might think they're cutting everyone a deal by giving it an $849 price tag or $899 with lesser ram than a Titan while offering similar performance sort of like the 980ti.

Back