NVIDIA set to launch GeForce 7800 GS AGP

Humble_Magii

Limp Gawd
The AGP variant of the NVIDIA GeForce 7800GS seems set to feature a core GPU frequency of 350MHz, a frequency dictated by the fact that it’s, unsurprisingly, a PCIe to AGP bridged design.

Expect the adrenalin to start with premier NVIDIA partners - eVGA and XFX Graphics on the 2nd February 2006.

Link to article:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4348

Amazing if they actually release this at a decent price they will essentially shove ATI forcefully out of the AGP market as they already have in the PCIe as top choice. ATI was pretty much the only choice for the highest performing AGP without Sm3 or purevideo (avivo) features.

Is Nvidia kicking the fat kid while he's on the ground (ATI)?

Thoughts?

I really hope nVidia releases a 7800GS for AGP.

Those that are still running AGP can finally stfu. :D

DITTO :mad: Oh well, Im not thinkin it to be all that good after what happend with the 6800GS AGP.

Believe it when it happens.

Other sources are saying that this SKU was a leaked engineering sample, and the bus type hasn't even been confirmed. Also, our good friends at the Inquirer are strangely mum about this.

If I had known they were releasing a 7800 AGP part, I would have kept my beloved Abit IC-7

If they did this id actually buy another Nvidia card (something i said i never would have this damn texture shimmer).

It'll be SICK to see if this actually happens...I'm looking at building a cheapo s754 Shuttle based system...I'd been struggling with the thought of it for awhile, just because of the AGP graphics...but if I knew that I had the option down the road of dropping a 7800GS in with a 3700+ Mobile A64 and two gig's of ram...man I'd be stoked.

It'd be awesome were Nvidia to release a new high end AGP card, but I really don't think that they will. All of the major computer sellers (i.e. Dell, HP, etc) have moved to PCIe, and as a result Nvidia wouldn't be selling parts to them. That leaves a pretty small upgrading market that would be willing to spend a small fortune on a new AGP card. I really don't think that Nvidia will sell another high end AGP card unless they can get companies like Dell to, for some reason, carry the cards.

Humble_Magii said:
Link to article:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4348

Amazing if they actually release this at a decent price they will essentially shove ATI forcefully out of the AGP market as they already have in the PCIe as top choice. ATI was pretty much the only choice for the highest performing AGP without Sm3 or purevideo (avivo) features.

Is Nvidia kicking the fat kid while he's on the ground (ATI)?

Thoughts?

Considering the fact that the x850xt is only a little slower than a 7800gt, this isn't too surprising. Finally sm3 on a card faster than the x850xt for agp :D

DamienThorn said:
It'd be awesome were Nvidia to release a new high end AGP card, but I really don't think that they will. All of the major computer sellers (i.e. Dell, HP, etc) have moved to PCIe, and as a result Nvidia wouldn't be selling parts to them. That leaves a pretty small upgrading market that would be willing to spend a small fortune on a new AGP card. I really don't think that Nvidia will sell another high end AGP card unless they can get companies like Dell to, for some reason, carry the cards.
The highest selling aftermarket card right now is the GF MX4000 PCI, AFAIK. I don't know if there are any qualifiers to that, like retail only, etc...but I can tell you that a recent visit to BFG's warehouse showed a ridiculous amount of MX4000 parts, mostly under the 3DFuzion brand.

So there's a market out there, it's just all about ROI.

Chris_Morley said:
The highest selling aftermarket card right now is the GF MX4000 PCI, AFAIK. I don't know if there are any qualifiers to that, like retail only, etc...but I can tell you that a recent visit to BFG's warehouse showed a ridiculous amount of MX4000 parts, mostly under the 3DFuzion brand.

So there's a market out there, it's just all about ROI.

I'm not suggesting that people won't upgrade their AGP cards, but simply that I doubt that it's worth the money of video card makers to try and sell high end AGP cards. the MX4000 isn't exactly an expensive card, and there aren't a lot of "regular" computer users that are willing to drop hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for a new video card, simply because not a lot of them are going to want to play games at the highest resolution at 60+ FPS. Most people will spend just enough to do what they want, and won't spend much more than they need to. Perhaps a company or two will try and get into that niche market, but high end video cards isn't exactly the bread and butter of major video card companies.

Somone should just pitch this to ASRock, they are into this kind of stuff. Heck, they might go all out and give us a two way video card. PCIe on one edge of the card, and AGP on the other; flip the card over depending on what platform your gunna use :p

Actualy, thats not a bad idea...would be nice if nVidia would do it on their video cards so we dont need PCIe/AGP motherboards to help the transition to PCIe. I would buy a 7800GS/GT if it had both AGP and PCIe fingers, that way I could wait on upgrading the rest of my system.

Unknown-One said:
Somone should just pitch this to ASRock, they are into this kind of stuff. Heck, they might go all out and give us a two way video card. PCIe on one edge of the card, and AGP on the other; flip the card over depending on what platform your gunna use :p

Actualy, thats not a bad idea...would be nice if nVidia would do it on their video cards so we dont need PCIe/AGP motherboards to help the transition to PCIe. I would buy a 7800GS/GT if it had both AGP and PCIe fingers, that way I could wait on upgrading the rest of my system.
That would be something!

DamienThorn said:
I'm not suggesting that people won't upgrade their AGP cards, but simply that I doubt that it's worth the money of video card makers to try and sell high end AGP cards. the MX4000 isn't exactly an expensive card, and there aren't a lot of "regular" computer users that are willing to drop hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for a new video card, simply because not a lot of them are going to want to play games at the highest resolution at 60+ FPS. Most people will spend just enough to do what they want, and won't spend much more than they need to. Perhaps a company or two will try and get into that niche market, but high end video cards isn't exactly the bread and butter of major video card companies.
Definitely that's a consideration, but also remember there's probably still a large AGP install base out there with some fairly powerful Intel and AMD processors that could noticeably benefit from the upgrade...

My psychic intuition tells me that this IS true. Also that we can expect it soon. Probably Before March. My crystal ball is fading now, Who know though ;)

I'll say that it IS gonna come out, lets see if i'm right. My crystal ball never lies.

I hate to be a downer here, but why would they? The market segment that that wont put down another $85 for a new mother board, or has a socket 754 CPU probably wont be buying many high end AGP card. Most (but not all) that are still using those sort of systems would probably be looking at a 6800GS max! Also, being a GS, it would probably be 16 pipes. A 16 pipe card being bridged to AGP would probably be clocked sub 400mhz. What do they have at this speed and price point? The 6800gt and the few 6800ultras that you can still find.

So, why on earth would it make sense to them to do this?

Oh, and on the duel sided card (AGP and PCI-E 16x/8x), I can see that happening. Probably not in the high end though... Maybe something in the 6600GT range would fit that nitch better for the type of people that would go for it.

Well,

I'm gonna wait for the end of the summer or next christmas to build a new rig, with the New AMD Socket and move to PCIE, I like to see a big difference when I purchase a new processor or video card, and i'm running a BFG 6800 Ultra OC, A64 3200+ and my friend is running a 3500+ and a 7800GTX and on both Quake 4, Fear and Guild Wars there just wasnt that much of a difference, he gets 16 more FPS in Fear than I do at the same res and detail, now that I've beaten the single player portion I play on Med settings anyway. To me the Jump from the 6800 to the 7800 series was just a bump, next jen will be dual gpu's. Just not worth it to worry about the 7800's if you have a 6800 GT or Ultra. Wait for the DX 10 Cards, they should be out by next christmas.

thomasward00 said:
Well,

I'm gonna wait for the end of the summer or next christmas to build a new rig

You're in exactly the same boat I am...I'm waiting 'till summer/xmas of this year to build a new system, still undecided as to what it's actually gonna be...partially because there's new toys hitting the market (hopefully) by then, and partially because I've got too many ideas rolling around in my head for different system configs.

Chances are I'll end up building a shuttle because in my home town there's NOTHING available for local retails that deal with/sell Shuttle XPC's. To "meet that need" I'm going to be picking up a business liscense and registering a name to build/customize Shuttle based systems for people. Hopefully it catches on, because some configs can be built relatively cheap...and the size of the chasis' should appeal to the average joe who wants something minimalistic and quiet. Where I'm going with this is that if I wait until after the business is registered I will hopefully be able to write off the new computer as business expense and get my money back on it. ;) :cool:

This seems like a nice idea, but I think I will pass, my 6800 Ultra is honestly plenty fast for me at the moment. I think around Christmas I should be able to upgrade my qPack to a Yonah mATX with a new DX10 card and see a nice jump over my P-M system now.

dR.Jester said:

At least we would like to think so. Then the GeForce 8 Series cards will come out and they will beg for an AGP 8800. :rolleyes:

metallicafan said:
At least we would like to think so. Then the GeForce 8 Series cards will come out and they will beg for an AGP 8800. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately this is very true. Maybe by that time though everyone will be running a mobo with PCI-E.

dR.Jester said:
Unfortunately this is very true. Maybe by that time though everyone will be running a mobo with PCI-E.

Hopefully that is the case.

I like this, if the price is right. Why is my gut feeling this, in a price sense, end up how the 5900XT's were: a bit gimped 5900 regulars, but priced low enough to be attractive?

Then again, if this is true, how hidously (or not so badly) bottlenecked will a 3000+ XP will be? LOL =P

dR.Jester said:

And those that keep saying it'll never happen can do the same ;)

I really never have understood why people get so angry that some of us still want an AGP upgrade path. Sad thing is, if this had been offered 6 months ago, I would have jumped on it. As it stands now, I'm planning to make the switch to PCI-e, socket M2 and DDR2 the DAY the nForce 5 chipset comes out- which should coincide with the GF8 series launch.

Beautiful.

It just didn't make sense to me that no more high end AGP cards would be released. There are still to many people out there running AGP systems to ignore. Slapping a bridge chip on the PCB isn't that complicated or expensive. While a couple years old, i still have a kick ass processor, i still have a kick ass board, and if this materializes, i can still add a top of the line kick ass graphics card. So screw you "no more AGP parts" people :D

yevaud said:
I really never have understood why people get so angry that some of us still want an AGP upgrade path.

It's really weird isn't it? If the bus was saturated i would understand. But it isn't, and i don't.

PCI Express "just works." No messing with GART drivers. No bizarre speed drops. No worries about whether or not side band addressing/fast writes work or bork your system.

Nothing in a Windows PC "just works". Not even consoles "just work" anymore.

And truly, once you get past that initial installation phase of an AGP card when do you ever bother with it again?

DougLite said:
PCI Express "just works." No messing with GART drivers. No bizarre speed drops. No worries about whether or not side band addressing/fast writes work or bork your system.

qft. Fucking around with garts is so annoying. And the premium of agp vs pci-e cards, since they make pci-e boards for pretty much every current socket it's worth it to just get a pci-e board and not worry about that bullshit.

sabrewolf732 said:
since they make pci-e boards for pretty much every current socket it's worth it to just get a pci-e board and not worry about that bullshit.

I agree, it's not really hard anymore to get your feet wet /w PCI-E, hell, there's even one or two s754 PCI-E boards that I've seen on the market...so while there's not a lot of excuses NOT to jump on PCI-E anymore, it's still a nice move on nVidia's part to put out the 7800GS AGP...as long as it does give the X850XT a stomping it'll just be one more market segment that they've got more control of.

Say you have a 3000+ amd 64 socket with a 6600gt AGP in it for example. Now, why would you go by a socket 754 motherboard with pci-e if you plan on possibly upgrading your cpu soon as well? Some people just want a card to hold them over until they go for the complete rebuild. It's so weird how angry pci-e people are at people who still use agp, it's not hurting you, ok?

Phranq said:
Say you have a 3000+ amd 64 socket with a 6600gt AGP in it for example. Now, why would you go by a socket 754 motherboard with pci-e if you plan on possibly upgrading your cpu soon as well? Some people just want a card to hold them over until they go for the complete rebuild. It's so weird how angry pci-e people are at people who still use agp, it's not hurting you, ok?

Because it's only about $25 more if you count the premium pci-e -> agp boards cost.

Agree with the ^

Honestly...If I had the serious amount of money to overhaul, I would of been pwning with a sexy 7800GT by now. But, as with alot of [H]ard forumers, we are limited by money. Alot of us are lucky to have real jobs that can afford it, alot of us don't.

The 7800GS AGP give people with AGP-based A64's a bit of more time on their systems until they overhaul later this year when the newer stuff (A64 M2, Intel's next gen) becomes worthwhile to them imho. Even despite I know my system would choke and cry at the idea of throwing in a 7800GS into my system, honestly, I think the 6600GT is my weakness, due to the fact I use a 17in LCD with a native 1280x1024.

Umi.Ryuuzaki said:
Honestly...If I had the serious amount of money to overhaul, I would of been pwning with a sexy 7800GT by now. But, as with alot of [H]ard forumers, we are limited by money. Alot of us are lucky to have real jobs that can afford it, alot of us don't.

I can attest to that...I'm one of those around here that don't have the money to keep up to date. I'm probly not gonna be putting any real money into a new system until i can afford to go all out....sometime between summer and xmas of this year, but it's nice to know that there are more options available to me if I was simply planning an upgrade.

Umi.Ryuuzaki said:
The 7800GS AGP give people with AGP-based A64's a bit of more time on their systems until they overhaul later this year when the newer stuff (A64 M2, Intel's next gen) becomes worthwhile to them imho..

There we go, I'll hold onto this build as long as I can, since the next build will be needing a new socket and DDR2 anyway.

Truthfully, right now there's very little reason us NF3 users have to go PCI-E at the moment, even less so if a 7800gs AGP comes out.

-wil

Back