Nvidia selling GPU's to crypto miners may have contributed to shortages

Ethereum 2 will not be "mineable" by GPU or ASIC. Look up "Proof of Stake".
Not exactly true, part of upgrade path for 2.0 has a significant period of time where POW and POS will be running side by side the documentation from Casper are estimating Months if not years. So the existing miners can upgrade their ASIC units get the most out of them while they can for Eth2, then transition the hardware over to other coins that still support ASIC calculations. Most ETH miners aren’t fanatical in their support of it, they will transition their hardware to what ever coin gets them returns.

Not exactly true, part of upgrade path for 2.0 has a significant period of time where POW and POS will be running side by side the documentation from Casper are estimating Months if not years. So the existing miners can upgrade their ASIC units get the most out of them while they can for Eth2, then transition the hardware over to other coins that still support ASIC calculations. Most ETH miners aren’t fanatical in their support of it, they will transition their hardware to what ever coin gets them returns.
1.5 is side by side and 2.0 is complete proof of stake ie no mining. thats exactly true

Yeah, I feel the same. He takes sponsors and has found success where I haven't. This makes me hate him.

His content has progressively gone from well informed and useful to clickbait and uninformed. His group has several times gone outside of their industry and made videos about other industries with the narrative that they 100% knew what they were doing and were an authoritative source on the matter. One such topic was CCTV, where they jimmy rigged random cheap Chinese parts together to get a "camera" and subsequently presented it like it was a viable security solution. It's been awhile since I saw it, but I remember it being unreliable, fragile, low resolution, low framerate and high power consumption device that could be taken out with a good swat of your hand.

I was disgusted and pissed off, probably because I've seen the tragedies that happen with shitty CCTV systems that get pushed on people. The difference between a quality camera and a shitty knockoff, or like LTTs jimmy rigged trash can be the difference in solving a murder or other violent crime or not. And I've seen plenty of unsolvable crimes because of shitty cameras.

I actually sorta like LTT.
He seems to be smart, at least.
I figure he'd do better as an engineer or project manager making useful stuff, instead of doing some lame TV show.
But that's all it is. Just some TV show. Mindlessly bowing to him is as silly as "hating" him. He's just some small-time celebrity.

Outside of consumer PC technology, no one even knows he exists.

lol I just have an irrational hatred for the stupid click-bait thumbnails that have taken over youtube

I enjoy the ones that had scantily clad women. But I digress...

I am not shocked that Nvidia would do this. Like most companies they dont give a shit about the consumer. Very few companies would think twice about screwing their customers over. Nvidia is not one of them.

Back before Amazon started beaming products to our doorsteps, there was a computer parts store in Canada called NCIX, which was where Linus worked back in day (marketing/sales/forums/videos). It was a good little consumer community brought together by weekly sales and a lively forum - we even had a Steam group and would play games like TF2 and L4D - so it's been interesting watching Linus branch out from that to become a pretty well-known channel personality. All this to say: Linus only ever struck me as a good dude just trying to do good work, so good on him for succeeding as he has.

I've never understood the excessive amount of earrings though.

Back before Amazon started beaming products to our doorsteps, there was a computer parts store in Canada called NCIX, which was where Linus worked back in day (marketing/sales/forums/videos). It was a good little consumer community brought together by weekly sales and a lively forum - we even had a Steam group and would play games like TF2 and L4D - so it's been interesting watching Linus branch out from that to become a pretty well-known channel personality. All this to say: Linus only ever struck me as a good dude just trying to do good work, so good on him for succeeding as he has.

I've never understood the excessive amount of earrings though.
He's some Final Fantasy fan. He likes FFVI.
He probably wants to be some sort of Locke or something.

Just goes to show how Kyle Bennett and HardOCP was often ahead on industry trends (GPP etc). It bothers me a bit when Youtubers now use his connections and insight presented in this forum as the basis for their videos. Just rubs me wrong.

EDIT: that said, a most triumphant april fools would be surly Bennett creating a Youtube ClickBait video (ala LTT) to announce the return of HardOCP. With full on falsetto and annoying over exuberance.

Nvidia ... admits that there are constraints beyond chip supply, so the issue with shortages is indeed very complicated.

"We do have supply constraints and our supply constraints do expand past what we are seeing in terms of wafers and silicon, but yes some constrains are in substrates and components,"
said Colette Kress, CFO of Nvidia, at Credit Suisse 24th Annual Technology Conference.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-shortages

via fps review
https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/1...pered-by-substrate-and-component-constraints/

Back